Quote on Selling Out: ID the song

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Quote on Selling Out: ID the song

Following the thread on "selling out" I saw this quote and couldn't resist posting  it to see if any of you recognize the song and the band that were involved.  It's also an example of the use of the term "selling out" directly applied by a rock artist. 

In 2007, this song was used in a commercial for Cingular Wireless. An original band mate took issue with it and sued BBDO, the advertising agency that created the campaign.

"It was just a complete, damn sellout of [band's name] - its reputation, its music; just as much disrespect as you could pour on ... [band mates]..."

ID the song.
    ID the artist. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: Quote on Selling Out: ID the song

Was it Peter Gabriel - Salisbury Hill?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i think it's the band, right? i dunno the song, but i know that was an issue. my older brother was really irked about it too, he's a huge fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Quote on Selling Out: ID the song:
    [QUOTE]i think it's the band, right? i dunno the song, but i know that was an issue. my older brother was really irked about it too, he's a huge fan.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I think you are referring to "The Weight."

I don't know if this is the answer, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

i think it's the band, right? i dunno the song, but i know that was an issue. my older brother was really irked about it too, he's a huge fan.
    Posted by phsmith8

I think you are referring to "The Weight."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very impressive, you two.  Yes, it was The Band, and Zilla got the song. 

Levon Helm is responsible for the quote (and the lawsuit).   I thought it was interesting b/c he used the words "selling out" as recently as 2007.   So there are still rock musicians who are using the term and have their own standards for selling out.  

I have to say that since jessey put this song on the list in the voting game, it's been given new meaning to me; it's a very interesting song.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i always used to think it said "take a load off annie," and when i found out it was "take a load off and he" it changed the whole song for me

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I heard a version of this song and it sounded like Aretha Frankiln singing it. Not nearly as good.

Funny how many people don't know that much about the Band. I saw where some internet wiz kids said this song was "Take a Load Off Annie" , by Marshall Tucker Band. Very amusing, people always think the song title has to actually be in the song. We have a thread going about this same topic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]i always used to think it said "take a load off annie," and when i found out it was "take a load off and he" it changed the whole song for me
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

It's Fanny - Miss Anna Lee (Fanny):

http://theband.hiof.no/lyrics/the_weight.html

http://theband.hiof.no/articles/the_weight_viney.html

I always thought "the child is not my son" in Billy Jean was "the chair is not my son."

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yeah, AF covered it.  I know this only b/c I almost did a trivia question about who covered it, but preferred the sellout quote query instead.

So as long as it came up, this is the list of artists that have covered it:
    Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and the Supremes with The Temptations , Jackie DeShannon, A Group Called Smith, The Black Crowes, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, The Allman Brothers, Joan Osborne, Keller Williams, King Curtis & Duane Allman, Otis & Travis, Rotary Connection, Spooky Tooth, and The Ventures.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

ohhhh, so they say fanny, and then they say and he...i get it now. thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Interesting (maybe) asides about The Weight:

Advertising, just by itself, rarely convinces me to buy any particular product, but I specifically remember seeing an ad for Northern Lights/Southern Cross in National Lampoon -- way back in the before time, in the long long ago -- with the slogan "It's Been Worth the Weight" and for reasons known only to that odd, pre-adolescent mind, I thought that was so clever that I actually ran right out and bought it.

It's funny, sometimes . . .   the things that stick in your head.

Sections
Shortcuts