Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is)

We've had discussions about the decline, if not the downright demise of (commercial) radio broadcasting insofar as music is concerned.  Many people here and elsewhere have completely abandoned radio.

In another recent thread, however, some of us had a sidebar conversation about (SURPRISE, SURPRISE) some existing, really decent radio stations. 

That great information got buried in that thread, so would my fellow (fabulous) Music Forum members (and anyone, for that matter) mind logging those thoughts in this dedicated thread so they're more accessible and visible? 

Personally, I still love radio and while the commercials are annoying, there are (still) some radio stations that are gems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is)

If anyone thought WFNX (101.7 FM) went downhill for a while, I agree.  Not sure when or how it improved, but it has.   It's back.

Lots of indie / alt music, some more mainstream than others, some obscure, and at times, some innovative music.  Note: last night, I heard a Decemberists song; they are really growing on me.  :)

FNX's version of playing retro music is the "Leftover Lunch" at mid-day and I challenge any station to come up with better play lists.  It's a fun time slot if you can catch it. 
    Here are recent playlists:
    LEFTOVER LUNCH 2-15-11

DAVID BOWIE-ZIGGY STARDUST
    CHARLATANS UK-WEIRDO
    BEASTIE BOYS-GIRLS
    BLONDIE-ATOMIC
    FATBOY SLIM-PRAISE YOU
    NEW ORDER-TEMPTATION
    REPLACEMENTS-I WILL DARE
    MODERN LOVERS-ROADRUNNER
    THE LA'S -THERE SHE GOES
    SONIC YOUTH-100%
    CLASH-I'M SO BORED WITH THE USA
    NINE INCH NAILS-THE PERFECT DRUG
    DEPECHE MODE-I FEEL YOU
    BIG COUNTRY-IN A BIG COUNTRY
    CATHERINE WHEEL- I WANT TO TOUCH YOU

TALKING HEADS-BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE
    JANES ADDICTION-CLASSIC GIRL
    SMITHS-HOW SOON IS NOW
    DEVO-GIRL YOU WANT
    DIVINYLS-I TOUCH MYSELF
    RAMONES-SHEENA IS A PUNK ROCKER
    BLONDIE-ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
    SUGAR-IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOU MIND
    PIXIES-MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN
    PIL-RISE
    PRESIDENTS OF THE USA-PEACHES
    SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES-KISS THEM FOR ME
    CLASH-I FOUGHT THE LAW
    SOUP DRAGONS-DIVINE THING

Zilla: You might really enjoy the Leftover Lunch programming if you can catch it.  Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i agree with this, wbru has a "retro lunch" and a few other good stations do as well...i am always surprised and pleased with song selection if i am lucky enough to catch it.  also, wbru at night (i think 9) plays new music.

92.9 around here is usually good for the 90's/new alternative music, there are NO DJ's (yes, it's true) and maybe a minute of commercials once in a great while. BIG fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

'FNX had me when they first started out (They filled a huge void that was where 'BCN was for years: IMHO the best that radio could be from early '70s to early '80s).

But I felt 'FNX lost it when That Guy Ty left the AM show and went to talk radio.  I've always liked Julie Kramer (You Do Know Kramer) but her hours didn't coincide when I was available to listen to her (That pesky job thing; it gets in the way of so much of my life) As far as now, I will give them another chance (online now that I live so far south of Boston).  I will say that I do believe that they are the best of what's out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is):
    [QUOTE]i agree with this, wbru has a "retro lunch" and a few other good stations do as well...i am always surprised and pleased with song selection if i am lucky enough to catch it.  also, wbru at night (i think 9) plays new music. 92.9 around here is usually good for the 90's/new alternative music, there are NO DJ's (yes, it's true) and maybe a minute of commercials once in a great while. BIG fan.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

You live so south of Boston.  I have detective instincts: it's one of my skills

I think Yoga does also, but not as sure

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great post, yoga!  You da babe!  :)  (I have nearly every one of those leftover lunch tunes on my ipod...sadly, work intrudes at that time of day for me.)  FNX can be repetitive at times, but they're probably the best of the bunch, even if their signal is kinda weak.

I've mentioned WERS (the Emerson College station) before...they have a great mix of old and new with classic soul thrown in for good measure, and bonus - they're commercial free!  Where else can I hear "Johnny Strikes Up The Band" followed by Eli "Paperboy" Reed followed by Monsters Of Folk...??

I also occasionally tune to The River, although they are firmly planted in adult alternative land, but sometimes that's all I need to get through my commute.  Their all-request friday mornings are often a very eclectic mix.

When all else fails, my ipod plugs into my car stereo, and away I go...!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is) : You live so south of Boston.  I have detective instincts: it's one of my skills I think Yoga does also, but not as sure
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

guilty! i gotta stay true to the BRU crew, they pretty much raised me.

can't say anything about yoga's location, but if you're right then when could be close by! ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

New station here in Hfx 'Live 105'

Recent playlist includes:

Arcade Fire
    Decemberists
    Alice in Chains
    Jane's Addiction
    Nine Inch Nails
    Three Days Grace
    White Stripes
    Goo Goo Dolls

And a whole bunch of others I don't recognize at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]If anyone thought WFNX ( 101.7 FM ) went downhill for a while, I agree.  Not sure when or how it improved, but it has.   It's back. Lots of indie / alt music, some more mainstream than others, some obscure, and at times, some innovative music.  Note: last night, I heard a Decemberists song; they are really growing on me.  :) FNX's version of playing retro music is the "Leftover Lunch" at mid-day and I challenge any station to come up better play lists.  It's a fun time slot if you can catch it.  Here are recent playlists: LEFTOVER LUNCH 2-15-11 DAVID BOWIE-ZIGGY STARDUST CHARLATANS UK-WEIRDO BEASTIE BOYS-GIRLS BLONDIE-ATOMIC FATBOY SLIM-PRAISE YOU NEW ORDER-TEMPTATION REPLACEMENTS-I WILL DARE MODERN LOVERS-ROADRUNNER THE LA'S -THERE SHE GOES SONIC YOUTH-100% CLASH-I'M SO BORED WITH THE USA NINE INCH NAILS-THE PERFECT DRUG DEPECHE MODE-I FEEL YOU BIG COUNTRY-IN A BIG COUNTRY CATHERINE WHEEL- I WANT TO TOUCH YOUTALKING HEADS-BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE JANES ADDICTION-CLASSIC GIRL SMITHS-HOW SOON IS NOW DEVO-GIRL YOU WANT DIVINYLS-I TOUCH MYSELF RAMONES-SHEENA IS A PUNK ROCKER BLONDIE-ONE WAY OR ANOTHER SUGAR-IF I CAN'T CHANGE YOU MIND PIXIES-MONKEY GONE TO HEAVEN PIL-RISE PRESIDENTS OF THE USA-PEACHES SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES-KISS THEM FOR ME CLASH-I FOUGHT THE LAW SOUP DRAGONS-DIVINE THING Zilla: You might really enjoy the Leftover Lunch programming if you can catch it. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

There's some favorites of mine in those lists.

Can't throw stones at anyone who still plays Devo, the Modern Lovers, the Divinyls and the Ramones....I have all this stuff in my collection, and even I haven't played most of these in quite a little while!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Roadrunner, roadrunner / Goin' faster miles an hour / Gonna drive past the Stop N' Shop / With the radio on..."

Freakin' LOVE that track!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]92.9 around here is usually good for the 90's/new alternative music, there are NO DJ's (yes, it's true) and maybe a minute of commercials once in a great while. BIG fan.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for this, I didn't know that 92.9 had gone in that direction.  I just looked at the play list and it looks like great driving music.

There is no way I can get BRU where I live, or even in my car, unfortunately. 

For the record, yoga does not live south of Boston (SOB!  ha ha!)  -- I live slightly north of Boston (NOB). 

Joe: I have some family SOB.  Don't live there, but do visit.  That's why I know that Job Lot location (not that I can go in that place, it's seriously a sick building (mold, maybe). 

I do remember when Ty left FNX, and even though Kramer does grate just a bit, I bypass her in favor of the music.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Another college station: WUMB  (91.9) - (call signal may be weak for some of you)  (Note: it's cross over to NPR)

This station for Boston is probably considered the gold standard for folk/roots music.  They play a very eclectic mix.

The range of music they play is pretty broad and encompasses more than you'd think (includes blues, roots, etc.) -- It's hit or miss for me, depending on what they're playing.  Depends on my mood, but they play very interesting, off center music. 

Check out this link for the listing of "new music" that they played last week:
    http://www.wumb.org/music/newmusic.php

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

wers 88.9
    emerson college radio -imo best station around, i have been in this area listening to music for waaayyyyy too many years, and have seen the rise and fall of stations fnx back in 80's,the river in the 90's, how could i forget wbcn in the 70's, but through it all wers has rocked, and as mentioned no commercials!
    every once in a while you get a not so great dj, after all they are students, and it kills me everytime they stumble on a local town name when doing the news (which is also pretty good) but 24/7 they always have something good on
    standouts for those not as goofy as me - daytime radio, sat & sun nights the sweet spot and all a capella on sat & sun
    sundays i listen to 3 hours of israeli music then an hour unitarian church service

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Another college station: WUMB  (91.9) - (call signal may be weak for some of you)  (Note: it's crosses over to NPR) This station for Boston is probably considered the gold standard for folk music.  The range of music they play is pretty broad and encompasses more than you'd think (includes blues, roots, etc.) -- It's hit or miss for me, depending on what they're playing. Check out this link for the listing of "new music" that they played last week: http://www.wumb.org/music/newmusic.php
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Cool selection of artists (The Head and The Heart...yay!!!).

Thanks again for the tip, yoga...!!  ;)

(Funny, but it makes me yearn for the days in college and even the many, many long hours in the studio when the radio played non-stop {except during crits}, and we didn't even have a working tv in our house.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The other nice thing about WERS is that they increased their signal strength, and it is available far from Boston.   A very nice service to their listener base.

I was all over WERS in the Acapella thread, as I am a huge fan of collegiate acapella and to me, WERS is responsible for giving that genre the visibility it really deserves.  I trip over myself I love it so much! 
    Smile
    You do have to check the program schedule if you really want to take advantage of the entire lineup.  There are show tunes on the weekends, they have a regular reggae program, too.   It can be hit or miss depending on what you like unless you are aware of the program schedule. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is) : Cool selection of artists (The Head and The Heart...yay!!!). Thanks again for the tip, yoga...!!  ;) (Funny, but it makes me yearn for the days in college and even the many, many long hours in the studio when the radio played non-stop {except during crits}, and we didn't even have a working tv in our house.)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    You're welcome!  Their new music listing is awesome, isn't it?  And another resource to use for discovering new music, and easy to check any time. Convenient!  :)  I liked seeing Loreena McKennitt's newest album there, and many others.  

I do love radio.  It's low-tech and can still be so great.  A good song on the radio gives me the same pumped up feeling of joy that I've always had while driving in my car. 

Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Radio: Still Alive (yes, it is) : Thanks for this, I didn't know that 92.9 had gone in that direction.  I just looked at the play list and it looks like great driving music. There is no way I can get BRU where I live, or even in my car, unfortunately.Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

you're welcome, i have always loved 92.9. i have one specific memory from when i was quite young of driving home from my baseball game in my father's car and the primitive radio gods came on (that sample - i been downhearted, baby...ever since the day we met). kinda opened my eyes to where music was going. i had never heard anything like it. 92.9 pretty much always comes through.

as for WBRU, you can get it on the internet, but what's the point really

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Does anyone remember The UN - underground radio 101.1 on the cape and Newport RI (I think).  It was not that bad and getting better until Ernie Boch bought the station and turned into an awful classic rock station (Not that all classic rock stations are awful, but this one choose to play really awful classic rock songs)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

ok, and listening to the sox on the radio is right up there too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone remember The UN - underground radio 101.1 on the cape and Newport RI (I think).  It was not that bad and getting better until Ernie Boch bought the station and turned into an awful classic rock station (Not that all classic rock stations are awful, but this one choose to play really awful classic rock songs)
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Could not argee more UN was great it played stuff no one else did or would.
    Ernie Boch jr trys to be some kind of rocker but his dad had no soul when it came to music.

On MV you have WMVY 92.7 they play some great stuff.  Worth a listen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like 92.9, but miss the DJs, actually.  I'd listened to them for years on my commute and looked forward to it.  And, when they first changed direction they also changed the music to some awful stuff, but at least that seems to have returned to its former quality.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Agreed on WMVY...used to pick it up when I lived on the south coast...just a great, independent-minded station with a heavy emphasis on roots-rock and newer folk and indie stuff.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

WMVY is good, real good, but in a living out in the sticks kind of way.  They will play new music but they trend toward the more mellow side of music (a rule which they will break but for the most part they would have to be classified more towards the softer side) but for the most part they stay away from the more urban city music that is played on 'FNX or 'BRU. They also can't be considered "cutting edge" when talking music.  Case in point, though they play Arcade Fire, you'll also hear Jimmy Buffet "Cheeseburger In Paradise" right after it.

Sections
Shortcuts