Raising Sand - any opinions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Raising Sand - any opinions?

"Raising Sand", the collaboration of Alison Krauss and Robert Plant, came out in 2007, but I ran across some of the music recently, and it got me to thinking what other people *really* thought of it.

Just want to say, I am a big fan of Krauss' music (have 7 of her full albums and then some) although I don't like her as much as I did a few years ago, but again, big fan.  Saw her perform in Boston, too, just as great as expected.  Robert Plant, big fan, too.   So it's not as though I was trying to listen to artists I don't like on their own merit.

But Raising Sand?   (here's that word) --- Over rated.  Not satisfying at all.  It just seemed as though it was reviewed from the "wow" factor of those particular artists collaborating, almost a little self-consciously so. 

Any opinions?   Do you know anyone that got into it, even if you did not?

Can you think of any other collaborations of this nature (collaborating from two different genres) that worked particularly well? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Raising Sand - any opinions?

I think the critics did build this album up to something greater than it truly is. And that is not only because of the two vocalists but also because T-Bone Burnett was the producer. When you have collaborations like this, where prominent musicians from opposite genres get together, especially when one is considered an all-time great, I think some critics start falling over themselves. It should be noted that they had an amazing set of musicians backing them.

I thought the album was good. two of the songs were written by Gene Clark so the material was top notch, but I never once felt that this was a piece of music that I needed to own. A good cover album, but nothing special. And I am a Zep Head. I only know a handful of people that bought the CD and maybe one of them had glowing thoughts about it.

My understanding is that Krause and Plant got together to do a second album but the sessions turned out to be very poor and unsuccessful. I believe the project has been scrapped.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I haven't heard Raising Sand but have heard some of Robert Plant's Band of Joy which was just released. He collaborates here with Patty Griffin; it's largely a folk outing. I liked some of it, but not enough to run out and buy it. It was available on NPR for a while, but no longer, and has gotten mixed reviews.

One collaboration that worked well was Aerosmith and Run DMC. Some might say that their version of Walk This Way revived Aerosmiths career.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyVT. Show KathyVT's posts

I haven't heard Raising Sand either. John Denver and Placindo Domingo, a tenor in opera, had a song called Perhaps Love, that they did together.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Troxstar. Show Troxstar's posts

I bought this a few years ago after really liking Mark Knopfler and Emmylou collaboration. 

Please Read the Letter and Fortune Teller are the songs I play and really like, otherwise I feel rooked. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

In Response to Re: Raising Sand - any opinions?:
    [QUOTE]I haven't heard Raising Sand but have heard some of Robert Plant's Band of Joy which was just released. He collaborates here with Patty Griffin; it's largely a folk outing. I liked some of it, but not enough to run out and buy it. It was available on NPR for a while, but no longer, and has gotten mixed reviews. One collaboration that worked well was Aerosmith and Run DMC. Some might say that their version of Walk This Way revived Aerosmiths career.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]
    Aerosmith's collab with Run DMC sparks me into thinking about Robert Plant's buddy Jimmy Page collabing with Puff Daddy in "Come With Me".
    As for Robert Plant..what was he thinking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Speaking of combining opera with pop, Bono, Edge, and studio wizard Brian Eno collaborated with opera legend Luciano Pavarotti (perhaps the best known of the Three Tenors, with Placido Domingo, and Jose Carreras being the "other guy", for those who saw that Seinfeld episode). Opera being one of the few genres of music I never cared for, seeing/hearing their collaboration did give me an almost profound appreciation for what can only be described, IMHO, as magnificent. There are several links out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uk5riOnfI

and even more surprising, at least to myself, Pavarotti and...wait for it, NJ...Bon Jovi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvAPRIwX5KU

and yes, even Queen (sans Freddie, Brian May on lead vocal!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7FGPIRJx6I&NR=1

Jessey makes a salient point about the critics, but in this case, I think it's warranted. But not because of Bono, Bon Jovi, Elton John, Clapton!, and the "friends of Pavarotti" shows...you could put elmer fudd next to Pavarotti and it would still be pretty amazing. Makes me want to develop my Italian speaking beyond restaurant menus...Cool

Did these collaborations work well? I think so, but perhaps this is better suited for a separate thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I think the critics did build this album up to something greater than it truly is. And that is not only because of the two vocalists but also because T-Bone Burnett was the producer. When you have collaborations like this, where prominent musicians from opposite genres get together, especially when one is considered an all-time great, I think some critics start falling over themselves. It should be noted that they had an amazing set of musicians backing them. I thought the album was good. two of the songs were written by Gene Clark so the material was top notch, but I never once felt that this was a piece of music that I needed to own. A good cover album, but nothing special. And I am a Zep Head. I only know a handful of people that bought the CD and maybe one of them had glowing thoughts about it. My understanding is that Krause and Plant got together to do a second album but the sessions turned out to be very poor and unsuccessful. I believe the project has been scrapped.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and great point(s) all around.   Now that T-Bone Burnett is more part of the mainstream than ever before, well, that doesn't bode all that well for his work.  You can't expect everything he does from now on to be amazing. 
    As for a future project tanking ... that's just as well.   Saves face for all concerned. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] Jessey makes a salient point about the critics, but in this case, I think it's warranted. But not because of Bono, Bon Jovi, Elton John, Clapton!, and the "friends of Pavarotti" shows...you could put elmer fudd next to Pavarotti and it would still be pretty amazing. Makes me want to develop my Italian speaking beyond restaurant menus... Did these collaborations work well? I think so, but perhaps this is better suited for a separate thread.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician[/QUOTE]

What a surprise, SDM!  and thank you!  

Now first, for Pavarotti -- he is one of my true loves, music-wise, and I mourned his passing, as that was the end of an era.  He brought opera and his unmatched talent to the world, and was responsible for breaking down a barrier and making opera more accessible.  In one of the "favorite songs" posts, I said that "Ave Maria" sung by Luciano Pavarotti, was my favorite classical song.

So onto the collaborations ...  Could not listen to more than 5 or 6 notes of Bono, let alone 5 or 6 bars ... what was he thinking he could stand on a stage with Pavarotti like that?   That was not even funny, it made me cringe!!  Granted, I'm not a U2 fan, but I would not discredit him if he could sing.  Painful.

Bon Jovi ... what can I say, that was *really* fun to listen to, and they both looked like they were having so much fun, it seemed like a love fest.  A little "We are the world-esque" if you know what I mean.   It worked!

Freddie ... I actually thought that performance was kind of poignant.  He seemed to reallly want to be respectful of who he was on stage with, and I don't know, it was one of those intangibles, but it was touching.

So back to your question about the collaborations working well?  That's probably a very subjective question!   Yeah, it would be great fun to have another thread for unusual collaborations!   Thanks again.  Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I would say that Raising Sand is an acquired taste. The problem with a collaboration like this is that fans come in with preconceived notions. Most of the complaints I've heard about Raising Sand have been in reference to what you do not hear. It's neither Led Zepelin with Alison's angelic tones and haunting fiddle work added, nor is it bluegrass with Plants distinctive vocal chops. It's an entirely new thing, and entirely new things take a little getting used to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I found out about Raising Sand from a VH1 (I think) crossroads show that I just happened on to while channel surfing the TV.  It was good and expanded upon the album with interviews and different takes on both the songs from the album and both plant (Led Zep) and krauss solo work.  I recorded the show onto DVD and find that I watch/listen to this more so than the album, which I went out and got after seeing the show.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think a collaboration with a cross genre male/female duo some nice originals and a cover is hard to pull off.

I'd say they did a great job and it's one of the better records of 2007, along with Bettye Lavette's Scene of the Crime and Ryan Bingham's incredible Mescalito.