Ray Manzarek of the Doors passes away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ray Manzarek of the Doors passes away

Very sad news from yahoo.com.May he RIP:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Ray Manzarek, a founding member and keyboardist of 1960s rock groupThe Doors, died on Monday at age 74, the group's manager Tom Vitorino said.

Manzarek died in Rosenheim, Germany, following a battle with bile duct cancer, the band said in a statement.

Singer Jim Morrison and Manzarek formed The Doors in 1965 after a chance meeting at Los Angeles' Venice Beach, and Manzarek's keyboard work would go on to be a touchstone of hits like "Break On Through to the Other Side" and "Light My Fire."

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger said in a statement. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek, who was born in Chicago in 1939, is survived by his wife, Dorothy, two brothers, a son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Ray Manzarek of the Doors passes away

They always go in 3's...........who's next?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

R.I.P. Ray - you were the true talent behind the Doors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

R.I.P.

All Hail the glory, soul and majesty of the rock organ...as worthy a device as we've ever known.

Opinions may vary on The Doors overall, but beyond their lugubrious, hedonistic frontman, they were really just three incredible, versatile musicians...and Ray was the best of them.

The keyboard bass was played out of necessity and economy, but given the chance to stretch out on the keys, Manzarek was breathtaking.  Per our 'closing tracks' thread, the last song on the last proper album The Doors made was "Riders On The Storm", a tour de force by Ray, IMO, and a great encapsulation of the band's output.

"When the music's over, turn out the lights..."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Heard this reported on the BBC newscast on my way home last night.   So interesting to hear the commentary on the BBC, spoken so eloquently and in a serious, respectful tone.    Talk about a flame being extinguished.   

Can't help but wonder what songs will be played at his memorial service.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

Ah, come on now. Even he would disagree with that statement. They all were, in there own way, Morrison included.

Sorry Bro - I cannot. My opinion of J.M. is pretty low as far as talent is concerned or even being a frontman. I think he was nothing more than a drunken buffoon who wrote a few good words. Krieger and Densmore were a talented back-up band. I always thought the Doors to be the most over-rated band to come out of the 60's. Just my humble opinion which I know many disagre with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

They always go in 3's...........who's next?

You asked who is next:

Trevor Bolder!  Best known as bass player in The Spiders from Mars and Uriah Heep.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Doors were the first of their kind. An "alternative" rock band long before anyone used the term. The dark, disturbing lyrics, swirling keyboards , slow tempo on top of a heavy bass sound. The Doors would be extremely influential to many late 80s, early 90s bands such as Joy Division, Sisters Of Mercy,Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees,The Cult,Dead Can Dance, The Cure , Ministry and other Alternative bands that would use their gothic style. The keyboard style of Ray Manzarek was unmistakable and as influential in Rock as the Hammond organ in the early Animals songs played by Alan Price.

I grew up with the Doors as one of the groups I could not have ever imagined living without.

Ray Manzarek seemed like such a cool guy. I would have loved to have had the chance to meet him. He seemed to be the stabilizing force behind the band....the Yin to Morrison's Yang.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

5 p.m. -- 88.9 WERS

WERS has a feature called "Throwback Thursday" and tonight at 5:00 they are featuring the The Doors in memory of Ray Manzarek.  

If you commute around that time, or have online access later today, you might want to tune in.   I like the tributes they've had on the Throwback Thursday program, even though I am not always available to tune in; it's a nice concept.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I will still be working , until 6:00.

But, I can have my own tribute anytime. I own all the Doors CDs , a few live sets and the box set.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I had the good fortune of meeting Ray about 11 years ago.I was set up at an antique/collectibles show in Marborough I believe(it's been a while and I've done tons of shows).He was there along with some other "celeberties" like Traci Lords and Don from Lost in Space signing autographs for a fee. 

He just seemed like he was a really just a genuinely good guy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ah, come on now. Even he would disagree with that statement. They all were, in there own way, Morrison included.

Sorry Bro - I cannot. My opinion of J.M. is pretty low as far as talent is concerned or even being a frontman. I think he was nothing more than a drunken buffoon who wrote a few good words. Krieger and Densmore were a talented back-up band. I always thought the Doors to be the most over-rated band to come out of the 60's. Just my humble opinion which I know many disagre with.

That's cool.

Drunken buffoon he may have been, but a very large percentage of musicians are drunk and more. He was the spirit of The Doors, and without him they wouldn't sound anything like they did. But, I can see how that's largely irrelevant if you don't like their music particularly much anyway.

I agree that he was the spirit of the Doors. He was the Lizard King. I just find him more style over substance. He may have been a buffoon, but he was a smart one.

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts