REM calls it quits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

REM calls it quits

After 31 years, the band has said goodbye. Your thoughts or opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: REM calls it quits

When I was at UMASS in the early to mid eighties, you could not walk down the hall at the dorms and not hear REM cranking! I thought they were a very good band for the first half of there existence. And like most bands time rolls on, the next generation grow's up an it becomes nearly impossible to stay relevant decade after decade. 

I did see them live in 93' at the Comcast Ctr...Greatwoods back then. They put on a great show, knew every song. I knew some people that did'nt care for them, and looking back now I can see why they rubbed some people the wrong way. But, back in the day I thought they were great and looked forward to new albums being released.

I'm sure some will bash them here, but it's hard to bash their success, not many bands today can claim they are as successful. Stipes did write some really good songs over the years. I'm sure they will get together down the road for a special benefit or tribute, it will be fun to see them play the old songs together. 

For me, REM songs bring back a lot of really great memories.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I just never really got into it...respect, sure, but i would rather not listen through a whole album.

they wrote some really killer tunes, but the rest of them that i have heard sound like poor men's versions of those killer tunes.

good background music?

i heard their newest single on the cool tv, and i almost threw up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

It's the end of REM as we know it
    It's the end of REM as we know it
    It's the end of REM as we know it.I feel fine. 

I like a lot of their tunes,but they were a band I wouldn't call one of my favorites.Still a good solid R&R band though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I liked some of their music, but I was never a fan of the lead singer's voice; it grated on me after awhile...about 3/4 through any one song.

After 31 years I'd think they would want to do something else at this point, wouldn't they?  My brother is a musician and was on the road essentially from age 15 - 40.  It's an exhausting life (and he wasn't ever into drugs or anything).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I really loved them when they were nobodys.

I liked them a bit less after they became famous.

'Driver 8' , 'Ages of You','Rockville','Gardening at Night' are my favorite REM songs.

Some of the later songs I liked didn't get enough attention, songs like 'Drive.' Instead repeated playing of songs like 'Shiny Happy People' ....which is R.E.M. at their worst got more play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I thought they should have split when their drummer died, but what do I know...

I think it's much easier to dismiss REM as no longer relevant to the music scene than to actually reflect on their enormous influence on american music in general and indie-oriented rock in particular.  They were practically the foundation for "college rock" and the "alternative" rock movements, including the more social aspects of responsibility, justice, equality, etc.

They also helped bridge the early underground rock with a more roots-inspired aesthetic, kind of like the merging of cult favorites such as the Velvet Underground and Big Star with good songs and country-folk-southern flavors.  I agree their first 10 years or so far exceeded the rest, but those were heady years, indeed.

Funny thing, even people who didn't really like REM never thought to question the quality and integrity of their work.  "Stand" and "Shiny Happy People" are silly pop songs, but they're incredibly well-crafted silly pop songs.  I mean, even their trifles had weight, and that's rare in popular music.

They were edgy and frustrating, never doing what they were expected to do and often flat-out defiant in their mannerisms - things that can quickly turn off casual listeners.  They rewarded the patience of repeat listeners and limited their false notes to a minimum.

Like them or not, REM will be remembered as one of the all-time great american bands and easily one of the very best of the 80s.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have two things here. First, Radio Free Europe is one of the great RnR songs of all time.

Second, REM's first 4 albums were off the charts amazing. I am more of a Hard Rock fan, than anything else, but they were simply amazing back then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Huge fan of early REM. I think Murmurr is a masterpiece. One of those albums for me that I can lsiten to every song and enjoy each one. Chronic Town (EP) and Reckoning were outstanding..Still listen to each many times. Also a big fan of Fables.. But starting with Lifes Rich Pageant and then Document I thought they started to thin out. I thought they became too polished. Too overproduced.. I liked parts of Monster but not too much else. I rememebr seeing hem at MIT and Brown university back in the early years. Great shows with great memories. I have missed the REM I knew and loved for many years so this is not that a big a deal now. They defintiely have their place in music history though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

ICYWW:

For casual listeners or those wondering what the bfd is about these guys, I would recommend either 1988's Eponymous compilation or the superior (imo) best of: And I Feel Fine...The Best Of The IRS Years 1982 -1987.

They had some very good moments after this highly creative period but rarely exceeded it (again imo).  One could also do worse than follow leafs' endorsement and start at the (almost) beginning with Murmur and/or Chronic Town.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Any group that can play on Sesame Street and still look and sound uber-cool gets some extra respect from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x-JpUJ_eIM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What I like about REM, I like a lot . . .  and they are one of those bands that bookmarks a particular period in my life. But 20 years later, I find that I don't get the urge to go back very often, and I have to admit that the only reason this news surprised me is because I had assumed they'd broken up years ago. Still and all, any band that inspires the line, "that was cool when Michael Stipe had hair" can't be all bad.

Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

One of my favorite songs is "Man On the Moon". It's kind of funny that it is, because I'm not a big fan of R.E.M. or Andy Kaufman.

They had other good songs, but they're one of those bands that I'm just not simpatico with.

I also think "Star 69" is a cool rockin' song.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

My favorite songs by them are Fall on me, Can't get there from here, Don't go back to Rockville,and Driver 8. Fall on me was my favorite.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

Saw them a while back at the great woods, it was epic cuz my roomate was a huge fan, they put on a great show.
    .....What's the frequency, Kenneth? Tops.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

They released 2 albums in the last couple of years that got great reviews but no airplay at all.

Sections
Shortcuts