Revisiting a cover?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Revisiting a cover?

The theme song, "Love is All Around" was written specifically for the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  The song was written by Sonny Curtis.

A couple questions for you:

1.  What famous rockers have covered the MTM theme song?   There are probably a few, but there was one MAJOR rocker who covered it as well as an indie/alt band that did a bangin job on it.

2.  What other MAJOR HIT did Sonny Curtis write?   

3.  Any other knowledge of Sonny Curtis?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Revisiting a cover?

The answer to #1,or at least my answers are Joan Jett and R.E.M. there's probably more covers too.I especially liked the Joan Jett cover though. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

The answer to #1,or at least my answers are Joan Jett and R.E.M. there's probably more covers too.I especially liked the Joan Jett cover though. 

Having a senior moment and wasn't sure who had done it but I do remember Joan Jett......and to really rrrreeeeeeaaaaacccccchhhhh........The Ramones too?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Having a senior moment and wasn't sure who had done it but I do remember Joan Jett......and to really rrrreeeeeeaaaaacccccchhhhh........The Ramones too?????

I remember seeing Joan Jett do the song on David Letterman,I believe.I know it was a show that was on late at night.The REM version is one I've never heard,but I had someone tell me they did the song.I haven't heard the Ramones version if they did one,but I'll bet it would be pretty cool. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Joan Jett's version might be the most well-known, as well as the best.    Agree.

Never knew about REM, though.    The other version that is a little more obscure, but more well known to alt fans would be the one by Husker Du.    Husker Du is a band from Minneapolis / St Paul, the Twin Cities, so that's why they have a bond with MTM.  :)

This is Husker Du:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFyy3XB_3Y4

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Have no clue re: the Ramones.    Joan Jett's version is punk, though.   The Ramones might have covered it live at some point, maybe?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The song was sampled on an album by Urge Overkill, "Saturation", if I'm not mistaken.

(But then, they're drummer was named Bla*kie Onassis.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

2.  What other MAJOR HIT did Sonny Curtis write?   

3.  Any other knowledge of Sonny Curtis?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "panel" seems to be out of the office.   I thought perhaps someone would have known this:  

The other major hit written by Curtis is: "I Fought the Law" which has been covered by numerous groups over the years.   

It was originally covered / popularized  by the Bobby Fuller Four.   The song became a mega hit all over again when the Clash covered and recorded it 13 years later (1979).

Sonny Curtis originally recorded the song with The Crickets ... he became a member following Buddy Holly's death.    The song receivced no airplay back in its day.   

The song has been covered by countless artists including: Springsteen, Tom Petty, John Cougar Mellencamp, Johnny Cash,  the Grateful Dead, the Stray Cats, Johnny Marr, and the Airborne Toxic Event (decent group if you want to check them out), among many others.  (won't bother to list the entire grouping -- they're in Wiki if you're interested).  

Never knew IFtL had caught the attention of so many artists.   Love the Clash version.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I really don't recall the song. What I remember most about the Mary Tyler Moore Show was Ted Knight as the anchorman Ted Baxter.

He and Rodney Dangerfield made Caddyshack a classic movie ( despite Chevy Chase and Bill Murray being in the movie also....Ted and Rodney stole the show).

I have a friend who lives in my town, who used to work with Ted Knight years ago at WJAR in Providence. I understand he was a super nice guy.

I'm still trying to remember the song , though....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here you go Zilla,the Joan Jett version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWQHhKrdtSA

By the way Zilla,after reading one of your posts saying how much you liked watching hockey reminded me of how much I enjoyed it too.I've started watching the Bruins again recently and have been digging it.Thanks for the memories of how good it was and still is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I think ESPN used Joan's version for the women's Final Four one year ... which was so much better than the insufferable "One Shining  Moment."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here is the "original" MTM theme. This theme song is from season one. It changed to the more optimistic version for season 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuuYvQsN-ak

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

He wrote I Fought the Law.

Oh, Yoga beat me to it.  Covered by virtually everyone.

I didn't beat you to it at all; I made the thread.  Laughing

Please, the credit belongs to you.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Here is the "original" MTM theme. This theme song is from season one. It changed to the more optimistic version for season 2.

Thanks for posting the song (and to MrMojo, too).  

I thought you would have known that Sonny Curtis became one of the Crickets after Buddy Holly died.   Seemed like something you would know.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I really don't recall the song. What I remember most about the Mary Tyler Moore Show was Ted Knight as the anchorman Ted Baxter.

He and Rodney Dangerfield made Caddyshack a classic movie ( despite Chevy Chase and Bill Murray being in the movie also....Ted and Rodney stole the show).

I have a friend who lives in my town, who used to work with Ted Knight years ago at WJAR in Providence. I understand he was a super nice guy.

I'm still trying to remember the song , though....

Totally AGREE! He was freakin' classic....perfect for the part!

The scene in the pro shop and Rodney's line about the "hat"....priceless!

Got to see Rodney Dangerfield "live" years ago, very funny!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

Thanks for posting the song (and to MrMojo, too).  

I thought you would have known that Sonny Curtis became one of the Crickets after Buddy Holly died.   Seemed like something you would know.   

I should have known, but my trivia crammed brain only holds so much. (Plus, I'm old.) The name was vaguely familiar, but I didn't connect it to the Crickets.

Sections
Shortcuts