R.I.P. Harold Ramis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

R.I.P. Harold Ramis

Well, this is a bummer...

Ramis was one of the brighter comic minds of our time, I think, and partly responsible for some of our modern comedy classics, including Animal HouseCaddyshack, Vacation, and Groundhog Day. (I have a soft spot for Club Paradise, too.)

He will be sorely missed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: R.I.P. Harold Ramis

He will be missed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

One of the best comedic writer/director/actors of his or any era.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

He  was part of the great SCTV  television show in its early days. I always loved his Moe Green character nervously sweating it out on 'Dialing for Dollars.'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Two of his best scenes from "Stripes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR9HuRUUTbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtHkSw9nEY

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not one of my more eloquent posts, but...

THAT REALLY SUX

One of the SCTV originals.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here is a link to a video of Harold Ramis doing what he did best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkwvUhfKK_A

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

More good stuff from SCTV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp5RdnkF-4k

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RIP and a good comedic mind, but he ain't John Hughes.  Somewhat puzzling seeing the coverage with his passing and how little Hughes got back in 2009.

Matty, Club Paradise was a great piece of crap.  Anything with Eugene Levy in it, completely rules.

Ramis's best work by far (for me), was Caddyshack. It's really not close. Meatballs was good, but came off better in my younger years. Same with Ghostbusters.

1. Caddyshack

2. Animal House

3. Ghostbusters

Always felts Stripes and Groundhog Day were wildly overrated and I am not sure I can give Ramis much credit on Vacation since he really didn't write much of it.  Hughes did.

[/QUOTE]

I think that no one who came from the great SCTV show ever did any movie work as near as great as what they did in SCTV. SCTV was one of the greatest TV comedy shows IMO, and was far better than the much more popular Saturday Night Live. I have found that TV comedy on the whole has a better track record than movie comedy, especially after television really took off in popularity and challenged the dominance of movies. To me, the medium of TV is much more conducive to great comedy than movies are.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

I would somewhat agree, although I liked what Candy (especially the genius Candy who thrived in movies in the 1980s) and Levy did later on after SCTV. There was so much talent there, though, it was ridiculous.  That troupe was just oozing with talent up and down the cast.

Joe Flaherty went on to do some good work too, including the brilliant "Freeks and Geeks" as the father. It only ran about 18 episodes or so and was Apatow's start as a comedy writer. Ramis was an Apatow idol.

Anyway, Ramis was good, but his career was really thin overall as compared to the genius that was John Hughes. I just don't recall this much coverage for Hughes in 2009 is all.

[/QUOTE]

I feel that John Candy's genius was not utilized to its best in his movies. They tended too much toward the sentimental. They never tapped into Candy's dichotomy of being so likeable yet being able to play a hilarious and mean, sleazy character like Johhny LaRue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FebH2xW3k0

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I would somewhat agree, although I liked what Candy (especially the genius Candy who thrived in movies in the 1980s) and Levy did later on after SCTV. There was so much talent there, though, it was ridiculous.  That troupe was just oozing with talent up and down the cast.

Joe Flaherty went on to do some good work too, including the brilliant "Freeks and Geeks" as the father. It only ran about 18 episodes or so and was Apatow's start as a comedy writer. Ramis was an Apatow idol.

Anyway, Ramis was good, but his career was really thin overall as compared to the genius that was John Hughes. I just don't recall this much coverage for Hughes in 2009 is all.

[/QUOTE]

I feel that John Candy's genius was not utilized to its best in his movies. They tended too much toward the sentimental. They never tapped into Candy's dichotomy of being so likeable yet being able to play a hilarious and mean, sleazy character like Johhny LaRue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FebH2xW3k0

[/QUOTE]

Not utilized best? Once Hughes started using that angle with Planes, Trains and Autos and Uncle Buck, it separated Candy from the rest.   I could not disagree more.

Chase was Chase, but Candy had the unique gift of being lovable, funny andd vulnerable as well.  A genius, really.

I wouldn't want Candy's characters being the exact same over and over again anyway.

[/QUOTE]
    Candy never played a Johnny LaRue type character in the movies and I think that's a shame. He had another side to him besides the sweet and vulnerable, which often was too sentimental for my taste.
    I'm just not a big John Hughes fan. But at least we agree that Candy was a comic genius.