RnR Hall of Fame Induction

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: RnR Hall of Fame Induction

John Mayer belongs nowhere near anything with "Hall of Fame" in the title. Spike Lee and Harry Bellofonte were both insufferable, which I often find them to be.

Other than that, I have a totally different opinion of the show. First, though I'm not a huge rap fan, I do like Public Enemy. Very intelligent lyrics as opposede to today's rap. Well deserved. I thought Heart and Rush were both excellent. And the "Crossroads" ending was terrific.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

the tyranny of low expectations?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I tried to watch.... Really bad. I though Rush was decent mainly because they are so talented musically. David Grohl and Taylor Hawkins were embarassing with introducing them

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What is this thing we call "Rock'n'Roll" , anyway?

Is it Donna Summer? Is it Public Enemy? ....Albert King is Blues.....sure, Rock is born form Blues....but can't we keep Rock 'n'Roll as Rock'n'Roll?

While there is a huge grey area, for sure.....I am sure that while Prog, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Southern Rock , Psychedelic, Punk are subgenres of Rock.....Rap Disco and Blues are not subgenres. They should get their own Hall Of Fame.

And for God's Sake...these morons need to get Deep Purple in the Rock HOF. This is kind of like Pete Rose not being in the baseball HOF , A TRAVESTY TO THE FANS. Could you even fathom the football HOF without Lawrence Taylor?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

What is this thing we call "Rock'n'Roll" , anyway?

Is it Donna Summer? Is it Public Enemy? ....Albert King is Blues.....sure, Rock is born form Blues....but can't we keep Rock 'n'Roll as Rock'n'Roll?

While there is a huge grey area, for sure.....I am sure that while Prog, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Southern Rock , Psychedelic, Punk are subgenres of Rock.....Rap Disco and Blues are not subgenres. They should get their own Hall Of Fame.

And for God's Sake...these morons need to get Deep Purple in the Rock HOF. This is kind of like Pete Rose not being in the baseball HOF , A TRAVESTY TO THE FANS. Could you even fathom the football HOF without Lawrence Taylor?

Maybe it should be called the Rock 'N' Roll/Pop Music Hall of Fame. That would encompass all the crp that's not rock but who's in it.

It really should be called the politcially correct hall of fame because they didn't have the guts to keep it simply to rock -- even a broad definition of rock. They were afraid of being criticized for not being inclusive, so they opened the door too much.

Blues I can include because the great bands were based on blues. But not rap, disco, etc.

And when you see some of the really greats (rock bands) who aren't in and look at some of the crp that is in, I agree what should have been a great idea has become a joke.

There have been some great performances at these ceremonies that have been memorable but also a lot of duds. 

By the way -- Heart was great as usual last night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Love me some Public Enemy.  Rap with guitar riffs and a social conscience...teaming up with thrash metal mavens Anthrax...?  Sign me up.

And not only were they good, but they were important to the art form.

I used to think otherwise, but in many ways, Rap/Hip-Hop stands on its own two feet well enough to get its own HoF...whether it really needs it or not.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Love me some Public Enemy.  Rap with guitar riffs and a social conscience...teaming up with thrash metal mavens Anthrax...?  Sign me up.

And not only were they good, but they were important to the art form.

I used to think otherwise, but in many ways, Rap/Hip-Hop stands on its own two feet well enough to get its own HoF...whether it really needs it or not.

Sounds more like the Beasties.

The Beastie Boys were rarely that political...even later while on their Free Tibet tip.

But there's little doubt that Public Enemy also helped bridge the rock and rap worlds.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Beastie Boys were rarely that political...even later while on their Free Tibet tip.

But there's little doubt that Public Enemy also helped bridge the rock and rap worlds.

PE was often political and/or social, from "911 Is a Joke" and "By the Time I Get to Arizona" to "Fight the Power" and "Don't Believe the Hype." Chuck D has plenty to say, whether one likes it or not. He's a thinking man.

PE is one of the very few reasons I cannot say all rap is crap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

PE was often political and/or social, from "911 Is a Joke" and "By the Time I Get to Arizona" to "Fight the Power" and "Don't Believe the Hype." Chuck D has plenty to say, whether one likes it or not. He's a thinking man.

PE is one of the very few reasons I cannot say all rap is crap.

Agreed.

"911 Is A Joke" alone is an outright classic of the genre and is still influencing serious rappers today.

I wonder, too, if maybe it's hard for some people to remember that raps weren't always about materialistic and/or carnal desires, although there was plenty of that, too.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Since Wenner is the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine and the power behind the Hall, at the time of its inception, they felt RnR Hall of Fame would basically sound good as a money making tool.

In reality, it is nothing more than a Pop Music Hall of Fame from 1950 on. And since none of the great 60's bands would basically exist without the Blues, they had to bring them into the mix. As to Hip/Hop and Rap, it is just another musical genre in Pop music. And if there is a band who needs to be singled out in this genre, Public Enemy has to be it. If Madonna is in, then so should groundbreaking Hip Hop.

And to Zilla's comment - yes, it is a shame that Depp Purple is not in but they were finally nominated.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

And to Zilla's comment - yes, it is a shame that Depp Purple is not in but they were finally nominated.

---------------------------------

Nominated and refused is worse.  If I know Ritchie Blackmore, he'd tell them to go F themselves.

He may, but I would imagine Glover, Gillian and Paice might like to be honored. And I guarante that Coverdale would relish it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Nominated and refused is worse.  If I know Ritchie Blackmore, he'd tell them to go F themselves.

I'll bet that if Deep Purple ( or Rainbow, for that matter) were elected, Ritchie wouldn't show up. 

If the only song Deep Purple ever recorded was 'Smoke On The Water' , they should be in the HOF based solely on the song that introduced the masses to Heavy Metal/Hard Rock on Top 40 radio and the riff that got many young men to pick up a guitar and learn to play heavy music.

When the Sex Pistols got elected in, John Lydon basically told them to stick it. The critics hated them, they were looked down upon by the elite of the world of Rock ( somewhat of a b@stard son)...some 40 years later, they want to honor them ??? Deep Purple should feel the same. After being shunned for so long, thanks but no thanks. Have your little celebration without us....we have better things to do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This discussion reminds me of yet another running joke I have with my wife. Whenever I'm aware that people at work are having a get together and I'm not invited, I always say (tongue in cheek) that I'm hurt that they didn't invite me. When she asks, "Would you have wanted to go?", I always answer "Of course not, but they hurt my feelings by not inviting me."

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:

He may, but I would imagine Glover, Gillian and Paice might like to be honored. And I guarante that Coverdale would relish it.

True.  Hell, you could put Gillan in for Superstar.  I like the Coverdale/Hughs albums, and fact, LOVE Burn, despite the fact that that (Stormbringer) is what drove Ritchie out.  Conversely, I dig Steve Morse to death, but he will never be the guitar player for Deep Purple in my book, nor was Bolin - I conseder Come Taste the Band a White Snake album.

Never thought of it that way. But, yes, Come Taste The Band IS more like a Whitesnake album.

Sections
Shortcuts