Roadie / You

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Roadie / You

You know that being a roadie is manual labor.  You're going to be lugging equipment on and off the venue, you might also be doing technical work such as setting up the lighting and electronics.   But you think it will be an exciting experience and you're determined to be a roadie, at least for a while.

So who do you want to work for?  What band(s) would you love to be a roadie for, past or present?  It's just in your dreams; no restrictions. 

No boy bands allowed.  :D

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Roadie / You

Clash
    Ramones (lots of chaos to witness, no frills in setting up)
    Interpol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

muse, their live show is incredible and i would love to be a guitar tech for bellamy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Motley Crue - girls, girls, girls! (not the song)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Actually, my dream job would have been to be the accountant for one of my favorite bands.  If I was a roadie I would undoubtedly electrocute myself.

As for the band, I was always drawn to the cerebral groups like BOC and ELP of course.  But I don't think these guys were much in the way of chick magnets.  So let's say accountant for the Eagles in their prime.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Roadie / You:
    [QUOTE]Actually, my dream job would have been to be the accountant for one of my favorite bands.  If I was a roadie I would undoubtedly electrocute myself. As for the band, I was always drawn to the cerebral groups like BOC and ELP of course.  But I don't think these guys were much in the way of chick magnets.  So let's say accountant for the Eagles in their prime.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    I'm howling!  First of all, you could still lug equipment, even if you didn't do any of the electrical work.  You'd make less money, but you could still be there! :D

I think I've mentioned I have the reverse situation, in that my accountant is a musician.   Accountant by day, musician by night.   She's a hot ticket, and a fantastic accountant, I might add. 

I met my original accountant (when he went to "wealth management" clients, he turned the rest of his clients over to his assistant (the musician who is now my accountant)  because he offered his services as a prize in a band contest.  My (then) boyfriend's band won the contest, and took advantage of the free services, and then kept him for a few extra years.   So I got to use his services, too.  Great accountant, great guy. 

Being an accountant for musicians was also his dream job.  He tried to make it happen, but he had lots of kids (at the time, at least 5 kids!! ), so he didn't have the luxury of lots of time to try to build up a music-based clientele.  

Maybe your other dream job is to be the accountant for the Red Sox.  Too stressful?  :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Motley Crue was a good choice.

Wiithout stating the obvious (Beatles), it would have to be one of the 80's bands - Def Leppard, Poison. I hear being a roadie for Van Halen was a great gig. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I would have picked the Grateful Dead.  The atmosphere would have been pretty cool.

Slim, I'd have to somewhat disagree with you about the Dead not tuning for hours.  Quite the opposite.  They tuned incessantly.  Listen to any bootleg 71 or prior before they discovered tuners you could plug into.

Speaking of which, I once remember seeing Dick Dale and while he was playing he broke a string.  As the band carried the song, he started talking to the audience and changed his string at the same time.  I've never seen someone change a string so fast.  He just went back to wailing on the thing.  Quite impressive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

A very sexist line of work, from what I understand.  Oh well.  There are women roadies, just not that many of them. 

I don't know if I'd have been tough enough, but back in the day, I'd have to go with the Who. 

Currently, it woud be Adele.

Here's a clip I saw on a blog recently on setting up for Adele:

"From this vantage point, I was able to see the roadies set up for Adele's set and this was a part of the show that I didn't expect to witness. They were getting everything just right. The straight mic stand, the stool, the table with water and tea, the fan, and the four (or was it five?) monitor wedges that would surround Adele with her voice, the voice that everyone was coming to hear."    Nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

monitors make or break a show. any show, no matter how small.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pink Floyd.

No question.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]Pink Floyd. No question.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

+1

Also like Hfx's' ELP choice, though tuning Lake's acoustics might put me over the edge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'd like to have been a roadie for either Neil Young or Jackson Browne.

First they are the only two artists that I can remember who have publicly acknowlegded the roadies on record. Second I would love to meet and talk with these two. They seem like really complex, smart and interesting people with interest in real life issues. Not your typical rock star who lives to party.

Neil Young even dedicated a song ('Tonight's The Night') to one of his former roadies that died.], and mentions the man by name...Bruce Berry. All I could think of when I found out who Bruce Berry was...."Neil must've really liked that guy."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

B.B. King. Why? Because I just love the guy. He connects with his audience better than any live performer I have ever seen. And because his band needs one. When I saw him live, the band members carried and set up their own equipment. I loved that. Can you imagine big rock stars ever doing that?

I did some free work for Graham Parker a few years ago. I held open the door for him as he lugged his equipment into the venue. ;) I guess he ain't a rock star any more (if he ever was).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to have been a roadie for either Neil Young or Jackson Browne. First they are the only two artists that I can remember who have publicly acknowlegded the roadies on record. Second I would love to meet and talk with these two. They seem like really complex, smart and interesting people with interest in real life issues. Not your typical rock star who lives to party. Neil Young even dedicated a song ('Tonight's The Night') to one of his former roadies that died.], and mentions the man by name...Bruce Berry. All I could think of when I found out who Bruce Berry was...."Neil must've really liked that guy."
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Young mentioned Bruce Berry, when I saw him at a benefit concert a few years back, and then went into an very moving version of  "Sugar Mountain." You could tell he genuinely loved the guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I came about as close as I could to saying Neil Young, too, as I love him.   But the thought of being around the Who and seeing / hearing their concerts back in the day was too irresistable. (I say that like they ever would have hired me).  ha ha.

Maybe Loreena McKennitt would hire me.  Or Deva Premal.  :D

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]I came about as close as I could to saying Neil Young, too, as I love him.   But the thought of being around the Who and seeing / hearing their concerts back in the day was too irresistable. (I say that like they ever would have hired me).  ha ha. Maybe Loreena McKennitt would hire me.  Or Deva Premal.  :D
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Loreena McKennitt is amazing, but could you tune that Harp?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roadie / You : Loreena McKennitt is amazing, but could you tune that Harp?
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]Laughing
    Yes, she is amazing.

I would get fired if I were asked to tune any instrument, and even though I could tune a guitar if you put a gun to my head (technically, I know how) the length of time it would take would not be cool.

I would be happy just to get her a glass of water.  :D

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roadie / You : The Allman Brothers put their roadies on the cover of their classic Live Fillmore Album.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

That's awesome.

I never knew that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]I came about as close as I could to saying Neil Young, too, as I love him.   But the thought of being around the Who and seeing / hearing their concerts back in the day was too irresistable. (I say that like they ever would have hired me).  ha ha. Maybe Loreena McKennitt would hire me.  Or Deva Premal.  :D

I was real close to also picking the Who because I'm a big fan of theirs.  But you would have to put up with those Townshend temper tantrums.  The Dead though, would have been steady work seeing they toured every year.  With most bands, it would be like every 3 years or something.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roadie / You : I'm howling!  First of all, you could still lug equipment, even if you didn't do any of the electrical work.  You'd make less money, but you could still be there! :D I think I've mentioned I have the reverse situation, in that my accountant is a musician.   Accountant by day, musician by night.   She's a hot ticket, and a fantastic accountant, I might add.  I met my original accountant (when he went to "wealth management" clients, he turned the rest of his clients over to his assistant (the musician who is now my accountant)  because he offered his services as a prize in a band contest.  My (then) boyfriend's band won the contest, and took advantage of the free services, and then kept him for a few extra years.   So I got to use his services, too.  Great accountant, great guy.  Being an accountant for musicians was also his dream job.  He tried to make it happen, but he had lots of kids (at the time, at least 5 kids!! ), so he didn't have the luxury of lots of time to try to build up a music-based clientele.   Maybe your other dream job is to be the accountant for the Red Sox.  Too stressful?  :D

Being on the Sox accounting staff would be pretty cool.  Well, as far as accounting work can ever be cool.  As long as I didn't ever have to nag the boys about their per diem expenses.  :D

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Roadie / You : Being on the Sox accounting staff would be pretty cool.  Well, as far as accounting work can ever be cool.  As long as I didn't ever have to nag the boys about their per diem expenses.  :D
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]Plenty of professions aren't considered cool, but there are plenty of cool people, even in the "not so cool" professions.  All musicians aren't necessarily cool, are they?   That might make a good thread. :)

Sections
Shortcuts