Robert Plant

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Robert Plant

I can't succinctly sum up Robert Plant's career, and there's no point in trying, since you're already aware of his stature and accomplishments.

It's a belated Happy Birthday to Robert Plant, as yesterday, August 20th, was his 64th birthday.   

Plant is on all the familiar lists of superlatives we so often mention; he's among the greatest metal vocalists, greatest lead singers, member of arguably one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and of course, one of the most influential rock artists of all time, influencing generations of rock artists for 40 years.  All a given.  

A few short years ago he did a collaborative album with Alison Krauss, interesting at best, but for me, not much to write home about.  I saw them interviewed for the album at the time, and Plant did most of the talking; I wasn't sure why Krauss even needed to be there.  :)

Seems "Stairway to Heaven" is all that ever comes up in the "most overplayed" category, but that's hardly the end of the conversation.

Anything left to say aside from "Happy Birthday" ?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Robert Plant

I thought the musicians used for his duet with Alison Krauss and for Band of Joy were really good as was the arrangements.  I found the that aspect of the songs more interesting that the vocals or the lyrics.

Dude looks like he was the model for Gandolf in LOTR.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

About Sir Robert, one can say this in all honesty (so I will):

Often Imitated, But Never Duplicated.

He was the light to the Led...the rarified air that kept the Zep aloft.

Looks pretty spry for 64 too, I think.  Uneven solo career?  Perhaps, but given the act he had to follow, he's done pretty well for himself.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Plant also did an album,actually an EP,as a member of the Honeydrippers.They were a band he helped to form which included Jimmy Page,Jeff Beck,Niles Rodgers and Paul Schaefer.It was an album I used to own and was comprised of covers from the 40's and 50's.The big hits from it were Phil Phillips' "Sea of love" and  Roy Brown's"Good Rockin' at midnight".
         They appeared on Saturday Night Live as the Honeydrippers singing "Santa Claus is coming to town" with Brian Setzer as a guest guitarist

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I know I probably stand alone but I cant stand his voice.. Was never a fan of he or Led Zep.. Fire away (Im ducking)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There is not much of anything British , in rock or comedy, that I don't like.

Try to imagine any other rock singer in Led Zep.

You just can't. His voice was made for that band, or that band was made for his voice.

His solo LPs are so "under the radar." You hear a song or two , but their are so many real good ones.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Robert Plant:
    [QUOTE]I know I probably stand alone but I cant stand his voice.. Was never a fan of he or Led Zep.. Fire away (Im ducking)
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

The two points are probably related.

I've known plenty of people who don't care for Zep at all, whether it's the rawness, the swagger, the lumber, etc.

The early punks weren't the biggest fans, either....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]There is not much of anything British , in rock or comedy, that I don't like. Try to imagine any other rock singer in Led Zep. You just can't. His voice was made for that band, or that band was made for his voice. His solo LPs are so "under the radar." You hear a song or two , but their are so many real good ones.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I can see the comedy, as well as the music.  :)

How about politics?  I'm thinking of reading up on Winston Churchill (fascinating character, brilliant, inimitable) -- maybe we could come back and discuss him after I read up?   We could add to the "Woody" thread since it's more politics than music.  :P   Also, Churchill's speaking voice -- woah.  

As for Robert Plant, I never thought of Led Zep as a metal band, but thanks to the forum I don't worry about such matters anymore.   I love Plant's voice, don't know much about his solo career, but he certainly makes the pantheon of rock legends, going strong after 40 plus years.   Glad to bring him up; it might spark some interest for forum members to take some Led Zep albums off the shelf and revive them.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

i will boldly join the opposition party. I'm just not a fan of most wailing, screaming hard rock heavy/metal vocalists. Not my bag. But I did kind of enjoy when Plant held back on his album with Alison Krauss. I really dig both them on "Gone Gone Gone". So for me, it's a style thing, moreso than quality of voice. And how can you go wrong covering the Everly Brothers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YVRxAX6fwg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

DD - the thing is that Zep was not just about wailing blues Hard Rock. Zep 3 highlights his talents. I do not believe him to be in the same tier as Daltry or Mercury, but he is close behind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]DD - the thing is that Zep was not just about wailing blues Hard Rock. Zep 3 highlights his talents. I do not believe him to be in the same tier as Daltry or Mercury, but he is close behind.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

To me, Plant exceeds Daltry despite their similarities.

(though not Freddie, I agree...very few do.)

Maybe it's just preference talking though.  All three are legendary voices.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I remember distinctly creating a thread for Raising Sand a long, long time ago.  Got very little thumbs-up response, at least not here.   

To me, both Plant and Krauss were wasted on that album, and I never made the purchase, it just didn't speak to me; it was more of a marketing ploy than anything inspiring musically.  Not saying that one or two songs weren't decent, but the whole album made no sense to me.  In that particular collaboration, however, I have the nerve to say that Plant needed Krauss more than she needed him ... even though she seemed to be very deferential to him, and may have had a good time recording with him.  In fact, why wouldn't she?  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robert Plant : Interesting. To me, Plant exceeds Daltry despite their similarities. (though not Freddie, I agree...very few do.) Maybe it's just preference talking though.  All three are legendary voices.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Matty - to be honest, I don't see many similarities between the two except for their curly hair. Plant was and is foremost a blues singer with an occasional ballad. Roger was an all-around pure RnR singer who can sing just about anything. And at their respective ages, Daltry is still far more powerful. Roger is a far better expressionist of a song. You can see he listened and watched Sinatra.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Robert Plant : Matty - to be honest, I don't see many similarities between the two except for their curly hair. Plant was and is foremost a blues singer with an occasional ballad. Roger was an all-around pure RnR singer who can sing just about anything. And at their respective ages, Daltry is still far more powerful. Roger is a far better expressionist of a song. You can see he listened and watched Sinatra.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you're right that they aren't very similar...

...but we'll have to respectfully disagree on who has the edge, one-on-one. 

Daltry is a distinctive, powerful voice, no doubt.  But Plant elevated blues belting to a whole new level, wrote his own (if a bit silly) lyrics, and maintained a solid solo career mostly on the strength of his voice.  In his prime, he hit notes that very few others can even touch, including Roger.

I'm willing to open it up to the forum. 

(Have a nice weekend.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Plant's voice was amazing in the early days.

My feelings about him have gone up and down over the years.  I like him but he irks me in some ways.  A bit too much affectation.  And I didn't like that Honeydrippers stuff.

I'm a Roger Daltrey man.  When Daltrey is up there on stage he is there to deliver the words as clearly and as powerfully as he can, not to put all his own little stylings on it.  I like that. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I remember the kids growing up that didn't like Led Zeppelin either.  They were the Disco loving Revere "Twinkie's" who's butts we would kick every weekend back in the late 70's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I remember the kids growing up that didn't like Led Zeppelin either.  They were the Disco loving Revere "Twinkie's" who's butts we would kick every weekend back in the late 70's :)
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Beating up of disco boys and taking their girls. Definitely some of my favorite memories of the late 70's.  During the height of Disco, I was temporarily transferred to Bensonhurst, Bklyn, home of the movie Saturday Night Fever. Had to be at work by 8:30 AM, so I used to ride my Triumph Bonneville to work everyday. Cruising down 18th Ave. was all sorts of fun.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts