Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees

From Yahoo.com

Kiss loyalists, long the butt of rock-critic jokes, have a new reason to be rankled: the artists listed on the Hall of Fame's 2011 ballot, which was announced this morning, include the Beastie Boys, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Donovan, Tom Waits, LL Cool J, Dr. John, the J. Geils Band, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, and Chuck Willis. The Beastie Boys got a nod in 2008. Nyro, LL Cool J, and Summer were all nominated last year. Kiss is conspicuously absent, yet again.

Hard-rock icon Kiss released its self-titled debut in 1974, which means in 1999 the band became eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But Kiss wasn't listed among the nominated bands in 1999 -- or 2000, or even 2001, for that matter. In 2009, the theatrical band finally made the ballot, but it didn't rack up enough votes for induction, and fans fumed while ABBA and the Stooges received the honor instead.

Adding insult to injury, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame mentions Kiss in the press release issued today announcing the new nominees -- in its write-up touting the originality of Alice Cooper: "Before there was Ozzy Osbourne, Marilyn Manson or KISS, there was Alice Cooper, the original self-proclaimed 'rock villain.'"

Die-hard Kiss fans -- known as the Kiss Army -- immediately flooded the Internet with complaints about the perceived snub, but not all of the band's devotees believe the band's legacy depends on a Rock Hall stamp of approval.

"Kiss not getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is kind of like Pete Rose not getting into the Baseball Hall of Fame: It's the best possible scenario for everyone involved," Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota author and longtime Kiss fan Chuck Klosterman tells Yahoo!. "Every year they get shut out, they're back in the news for not making it -- people will actually notice far less if they ever get inducted. Plus, being denied entry into the Hall of Fame advances the idea that Kiss exists outside the canon of critically sanctioned rock, and it perpetuates the idea that Kiss fans are unjustly persecuted for loving Kiss, which is central to the Kiss-fan identity. I hope they never get in. I'm sure they'll eventually build their own Hall of Fame, anyway, just so they can not induct Vinnie Vincent."

Kiss members themselves seem to have mixed feelings about being excluded from one of rock's most elite clubs. "There are disco bands, rap bands, Yiddish folk song bands in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but not Kiss," the band's bassist and most recognizable figure www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE4AK1U520081121" target="blank">Gene Simmons said in 2008, adding sarcastically, "I believe we have more gold records in America than any other group, but it's OK."

[Photos: Kiss through the years]

In a recent interview, Simmons said, "There's nobody in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- in fact, if you took all of them and put them together -- they couldn't match all the licensing and merchandising we've done and the legacy we've left." He echoed many outsiders' critiques of the Hall by identifying a few famous inductees that aren't as "rock"-oriented as his own band. "I mean, yes, Madonna's important. I have no [darned] idea what she's doing in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Or Grandmaster Flash or any other disco or rap artist."

This March, late-night host George Lopez took up the Kiss cause, calling them "the greatest rock & roll band of all time" when Simmons appeared on his show and posting a www.lopeztonight.com/episode_recaps_and_highlights/kiss_into_rock_roll_hall_of_fame.php" target="blank">petition on his website (it currently has 5,265 "signature" comments). A similar effort has been posted to Facebook, where 1,044 people have "Liked" a www.facebook.com/pages/GET-KISS-INTO-THE-ROCK-AND-ROLL-HALL-OF-FAME/125323774159015" target="blank">page titled "Get Kiss Into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!" Kiss fans have also taken to the streets in support of their face-painted heroes. In 2006, approximately 200 members of the Kiss Army staged a protest outside the Rock Hall's Ohio home.

Should Kiss ever gain entry to the Hall, the band would be faced with a dilemma, though: Who would perform at the induction ceremony? While Simmons and Paul Stanley are still actively playing in the band, original members Peter Criss and Ace Frehley have split from the group several times. Original lineups traditionally reunite for the Rock Hall ceremony, but not always happily. In 2006, former members of Blondie stormed the stage and asked to perform, only to be shot down by a ticked-off Debbie Harry ("Can't you see my real band is up there?"). The following year, Van Halen joined the Hall, but only former frontman Sammy Hagar and ex-bassist Michael Anthony showed up at the ceremony.

[Related: Ex-Kiss drummer raising money for cancer research]

Artists become eligible for the Rock Hall ballot 25 years after the release of their first single or album. The final list of 2011 inductees will be announced in December, and the induction ceremony -- the Hall's 26th annual event - will be held March 14 at Manhattan's Waldorf Astoria. (The museum itself is in Cleveland; it began honoring musical legends in 1986.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees

Bump to the Most "Overrated " Thread!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This needs to be about Alice. I would love to see J. Geils in and if Bon Jovi is inducted, I am handing in my RnR membership card.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

BDC had a story in the Entertainment section about the RnR HOF as well, but it wasn't nearly as good as this one.

I agree that Alice should be ahead of everybody else, including KISS, and that he sticks out from all the other nominees.

Rush is another band that got snubbed, and keeps getting snubbed every year.

I'll take KISS ahead of Bon Jovi any day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't have a problem with Bon Jovi getting in -- and they're more deserving than many on the list in the OP -- but there are  more deserving that should go in first, including KISS and Alice Cooper. (Although I like Bon Jovi better than both).

Jethro Tull should be in long before anyone this year's list of nominees, including KISS and Alice Cooper.

I was going to start a thread -- or it cn be continued here -- of the most deserving bands/performers yet to be inducted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Forget Bon Jovi. I will accept the fact that they are something in someone's eyes, and may have a chance at induction one day. But there are several bands of BJ's era that need to go in before them starting with Def Lep. So let's take Bon Jovi out of this discussion for now.

ALICE COOPER BAND

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees:
    [QUOTE]Forget Bon Jovi. I will accept the fact that they are something in someone's eyes, and may have a chance at induction one day. But there are several bands of BJ's era that need to go in before them starting with Def Lep. So let's take Bon Jovi out of this discussion for now. ALICE COOPER BAND
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree. I think Bon Jovi is deserving eventually, but I definitely would put Def Leppard in first. (Not before Jethro Tull).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The inductees have been announced.  Kudos for Alice Cooper.

However...there's a time for talk and a time for action.

And the work of this forum won't be complete until jesseyeric has it out in a bloody showdown with Jon Bon Jovi before he can reach the stage.  Perhaps Zillagod and I can go along as backup, wearing masks bearing the scornful visages of Ritchie Blackmore and Keith Emerson. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

The fact that Rush, Alice and Tull aren't there already and Bon Jovi will be makes the whole thing practically meaningless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I gave up caring about who is or isn't in the NON-Rock 'n Roll Hall of Popularity years ago.

I mean LLCoolJ??? What's he to Rock music?

Neil Diamond? Great singer and performer, but I think Alice Cooper and J.Geils are ROCK music, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath are that bast@rd child of rock music known as Heavy Metal. Neil Diamond is an artist I enjoy listening to ...but I do not consider him a rock artist.

When they jettison the non-rock acts and start putting in REAL Rock groups and artists, then maybe I'll care.

Why in God's name wasn't Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull and Rush in there 20 years ago? ...these are some of the greatest acts in the history of Rock Music. Live and recorded, huge catalogues of fantastically unique sounding music with zillions of great live performances to their credit.

It's a big farce.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

[QUOTE]I gave up caring about who is or isn't in the NON-Rock 'n Roll Hall of Popularity years ago. I mean LLCoolJ??? What's he to Rock music? Neil Diamond? Great singer and performer, but I think Alice Cooper and J.Geils are ROCK music, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath are that bast@rd child of rock music known as Heavy Metal. Neil Diamond is an artist I enjoy listening to ...but I do not consider him a rock artist. When they jettison the non-rock acts and start putting in REAL Rock groups and artists, then maybe I'll care. Why in God's name wasn't Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull and Rush in there 20 years ago? ...these are some of the greatest acts in the history of Rock Music. Live and recorded, huge catalogues of fantastically unique sounding music with zillions of great live performances to their credit. It's a big farce.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Exactly...It is a big farce, which is why Kiss belongs in it.  The biggest farce band of all time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees : Exactly...It is a big farce, which is why Kiss belongs in it.  The biggest farce band of all time.
    Posted by schadenfreude99[/QUOTE]

Well, I sort of agree.

They weren't really a legit band so much as a circus act. But KISS does have a place in Rock'n Roll history in that at least they are a Rock band. Some of their music is surprisingly good, but indeed, the costumes and pyrotechnics made this group a bigger phenomenon they ever would have been if they just took the stage as "normal guys" ala Lynyrd Skynyrd or The Grateful Dead. We have had many worse bands, Bay City Rollers comes to mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Dr. John? J. Geils?!?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Leaving aside for a moment the many deserving bands - several mentioned above - who haven't even been nominated, much less inducted...

it just doesn't make sense for Kiss to get in before Alice Cooper.  Alice virtually spawned Kiss, and the latter would be nowhere without the former.

All that said, the RnRHOF selection process is a harsh joke at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Alice Cooper long overdue

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Alice Cooper long overdue
    Posted by uclid[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What kills me with Bon Jovi is that Sambora deserves as much credit for that bands success as Jon. The reality is that the band are basically paid wages by Jon. Very good wages, but wages none the less. In my eyes, they are nothing more than The Backstrret Boys with guitars.

One of the reasons that Queen was and is one of my favorite bands is because Mercury pushed John Deacon to have more of a say in the music and to start writing. He felt that if all 4 band members wrote music and received royalties that there would be no power struggles in the band. And he was right.

With BJ - besides Jon & Sambora, I couldn't name any other member of the band. In my eyes, Bon Jovi is not worthy to have their name mentioned with the great ones. The R & R Hall of Shame has very speciifc criteria when nominating and inducting.

Innovation and Influence being the two main ones and perpetuation of the artform as the third. Well, Bon Jovi certainly does not fulfill the first two and it is questionable as to whether they fulfill the 3rd.  Whereas The Alice Cooper Band, Deep Purple, ELP and even Def Leppard touch on all three at one level or another. Even KISS who innovated nothing absolutely caused thousands of teenage boys to pick up the guitar and play and there is little doubt that their stage show helped perpetuate R & R as an artform.

I will accept some of the more influential Hip-Hop acts like NWA, Public Enemy and Tupac before Bon Jovi.

FYI - I never go against Italians so obviously I have some very strong feelings about this band.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

FROM BDC 9/30/10:

If the J. Geils Band makes it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this time, Peter Wolf knows who he doesn’t want introducing the “Musta Got Lost’’ gang at the induction ceremony. “Certainly not Steven Tyler,’’ he said, apparently still smarting about the Aerosmith frontman’s bid to prevent Wolf from using the catwalk at the band’s Fenway show in August. “I’m sure we’ll think of someone. Let’s not count our chickens before they hatch.’’ This is the third time Geils has been nominated for induction, and Wolf — who learned of the nomination while on stage at the Tupelo Music Hall in Londonderry, N.H. — said he’s gratified that the band is being considered again. “I’ve been at almost all of the ceremonies and there have been some very memorable moments,’’ the singer said. “It gives me an opportunity to connect with a world that has vanished in a certain sense.’’ Said Wolf’s songwriting partner Seth Justman: “Our mission is to give every ounce of energy when we play live and when we record . . . to get people movin’, groovin’, and sweatin’. It’s so cool to be nominated, and it would be very spiritually fulfilling if we were to actually make it in — to be there among so many of our teachers and friends.’’ Other 2011 nominees include Dorchester’s own Donna Summer, Alice Cooper, the Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Tom Waits, and Laura Nyro. Industry pros cast ballots, and the acts garnering 50 percent of the vote are inducted. The inductees will be announced in December-

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]This needs to be about Alice. I would love to see J. Geils in and if Bon Jovi is inducted, I am handing in my RnR membership card.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    I agree on both. And I must confess my amazement that Dr John isn't already in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Really - we are basically a Rock and Roll forum. We need to discuss this issue more and in depth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

How about a thread devoted to who should be in the rock and roll hall of fame and isn't?

Sections
Shortcuts