Rolling Stones added to Concert for Sandy relief line up 12-12-12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Rolling Stones added to Concert for Sandy relief line up 12-12-12

From yahoo.com:

Today it was announced what many had been speculating for several weeks, The Rolling Stones have been added to "12/12/12: The Concert For Sandy Relief." A lineup that already includes Paul McCartney, The Who, Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Billy Joel, Eddie Vedder, Dave Grohl, Bon Jovi, Chris Martin, Kanye West, and Alicia Keys was already shaping up to be one of the most legendary concert lineups ever assembled. Now, with the addition of the Stones, it is difficult to dispute this as the biggest single concert event in the history of popular music.

With concerts scheduled at Newark's Prudential Center on December 13th as well as Saturday, December 15th, many thought it might only be a matter of time before the Rolling Stones were added, or at the very least front man Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards as they appeared at "The Concert for New York City" following September 11th. Along with this announcement was the recent addition of a wide range of celebreties, most of which hail from the tri-state area. Billy Crystal, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, John Stewart, Brian Williams, Jimmy Fallon, Steve Buscemi, and Jake Gyllenhaal, among others were also announced to be making appearances.

The concert will be simulcast live around the world across various television networks as well as in movie theaters, free of charge, in areas affected by the storm. In a matter of weeks this event has grown into a music event to rival most others before it, and it is certain to raise plenty of additional awareness and assistance to areas that were devastated by this unprecedented storm through its fundraising with the Robin Hood Relief Fund. Additional information on the concert can be found on the concert's official website.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Rolling Stones added to Concert for Sandy relief line up 12-12-12

"it is difficult to dispute this as the biggest single concert event in the history of popular music."

What a load of crap. It isn't that difficult at all to dispute. It certainly is a great lineup, but it's hardly better than Live Aid. and the 2001 Concert for New York was as good or better.

Edit: To be fair, Live Aid was at two venues. Still either venue by itself would be great on its own. And then there was this little event called Woodstock in 1969 among others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"it is difficult to dispute this as the biggest single concert event in the history of popular music."

What a load of crap. It isn't that difficult at all to dispute. It certainly is a great lineup, but it's hardly better than Live Aid. and the 2001 Concert for New York was as good or better.

Edit: To be fair, Live Aid was at two venues. Still either venue by itself would be great on its own. And then there was this little event called Woodstock in 1969 among others.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Roy,that's a pretty strong statement and totally inaccurate.The first thing I thought of when I read that was of the Monterrey Pops Festival and Woodstock.They have to hype it up though.

But,it's a decent line up and they're doing it for a good cause.I also like the fact that it'll be free to watch and  televised live as it happens.I set up my DVR to record it on Wed from 7:30-11:30.It'll be on a couple different channels in my area.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

This should be a pretty good show,I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.It's on tomorrow night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Actually, the publicity is heating up.  

The live concert is in NYC MSG, but it's going to be available by livestream, and we can now see that's the reason they are magnifying this as the "biggest" concert in music history: it is global, and has the potential to reach what's expected to be billions of people.    

It's not the lineup, it's the availability to see it via social networks.  

So, yes, "biggest" in this context is "most widely seen / accessed globally" -- not that it's the greatest, biggest or most impressive lineup.  

Here's how Clear Channel is describing it: 

"Some of the largest names in the music industry will come together on Wednesday night for "12.12.12 The Concert for Sandy Relief," and through several live streams and social media integrations, the charity concert will reach an unprecedented number of people.

"This has become a global event," Zena Burns, VP of digital programming platforms for Clear Channel Media and Entertainment, told Mashable. "Between TV, radio and online streaming on YouTube, Hulu, AOL, iHeartRadio and Time Inc brands, the concert will reach nearly 2 billion homes worldwide as the most widely distributed music event in history."

Sections
Shortcuts