Ronnie Wood gives guitar lesson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ronnie Wood gives guitar lesson

Ronnie Wood surprised pupils at a British secondary school when he turned up to give them a guitar lesson.

The Rolling Stone appeared at Malcolm Arnold Academy secondary school in Northampton, after the school's sponsor David Ross won a guitar lesson with him at a charity auction, The Daily Star reported.

Ronnie, 65, spent three hours chatting, posing for pictures and giving a guitar tutorial, joking: "I'd rather be here than at the Brits."

Afterwards he said: "I really enjoyed it. The questions the students asked me were very inventive and thoughtful and I spoke to them about my career.

"The school looks pretty good. I wouldn't mind turning the clock back and coming here myself."

Ah, well -- just a nice Friday news tidbit.  

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ronnie-wood-gives-guitar-lesson-29088390.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Ronnie Wood gives guitar lesson

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

It IS a nice story, so I kind of hate to pee on it.  However I'm going to anyway because that's the way I roll.

It would take Ronnie Wood about 6 minutes to reveal everything he knows about guitar playing.  He's that weak.   The things he could go into detail about don't seem age appropriate for that crowd.  I take it the crack about turning back time had something to do with a young 'bird' in the audience.  Fair enough, his new wife is only 31 years younger than he is, so it might be time to trade her in.  Bill Wyman would be appalled.

Sorry, I actually like the Stones, but they should have packed it in 30 years ago.  Besides losing their chops, they're still acting like teenagers, and at this point that's just downright creepy.  What they should be doing at their age, is being cranky and complain about everything.   Follow me, is what I'm saying.  If Ron wants a guitar lesson, I'll throw that in gratis, but the Grumpy Lessons are going to cost him.

But Slim, c'mon, he's a cool guy, has great hair, a consitution of iron only exceeded by git nbr 1 in the Stones....is happy to take a subservient role to git 1...etc.  ;-)  (bad taste in women though.....Jo Wood at 50-odd is a billion times more fanciable than sundry drunk Russian 20-year olds.....)

Re Stones career?  I'm actually ok with them refusing to stop.  Who am I to tell Willie Mays or Mick Jagger to stop?  I wouldn't.

To me, the 65-68 Stones was their peak.....69-72 was another, different, peak but also great.  They had a fair number of good songs after that (EOMS) but it's been downhill ever since.  But even on the slide they've made music I rate and am glad was made.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No point in arguing about taste. If you think his leads are good then we'll never be on the same page.   From a taste perspective I think they are bad to the point of embarrassing.  You like it, and that's just fine. I like alot of stuff that requires minimal talent too, just not Ronnies version of it.

Did you like the sound you were hearing from their brief 121212 appearance?  Did you really think that Wood slide solo was good?   I just hope they were having an off night,  I'd be seriously ticked to shell out the hundreds of dollars it takes to listen to them nowadays if that is where they are at now.

As far as the amount of skill, talent, and time that it takes to play like Ronnie Wood, it's not much. Not much at all.  That I will argue about all day long.  There is no technical proficiency required regardless of what you think of the resulting sound.  My perspective might be skewed, since I've been playing guitar myself for over 30 years,  but I suspect give any kid a guitar and in 6 months he'll be 'weaving' in, out, up, and down Ronnie Woods scrawny butt like there's no tomorrow. I suppose he's not the first guy, in music, or any other field, that is rewarded monetarily, far beyond what he actually brings to the table. 

Sorry Yoga, for wrecking your feel good thread.  Call it Punk.

I'm not responsible for the thread, or you, but we've had the "when should they get off the stage" issue raised (one of my threads, in fact) enough times to have reached a consensus that if people are willing to buy tickets, then who are we to say an artist should not perform?   Why you have such strong feelings regarding the Stones, I have no idea.   Not my problem.  

Your initial post was not about taste, and neither is this one: they're about guitar skill, where you said it would take "6 minutes" for Wood to teach all he knows about guitar, as well as some odd statement as to what is "age appropriate"  ...?   Then his wife (which is completely irrelevant and makes you sound horribly judgemental and prudish), and now, your finale is a barage of bitter, caustic insults.    

The story was taken from an Irish newspaper, which you would have seen if you'd read it.    The story and the secondary school, and the guitar lesson weren't wasted on Americans.   Maybe in Ireland, the students at the school actually got a little thrill out of it, even if you would have found it lame at that age  (it's obvious that you found it lame as an adult). 

Namaste.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

It IS a nice story, so I kind of hate to pee on it.  However I'm going to anyway because that's the way I roll.

It would take Ronnie Wood about 6 minutes to reveal everything he knows about guitar playing.  He's that weak.   The things he could go into detail about don't seem age appropriate for that crowd.  I take it the crack about turning back time had something to do with a young 'bird' in the audience.  Fair enough, his new wife is only 31 years younger than he is, so it might be time to trade her in.  Bill Wyman would be appalled.

Sorry, I actually like the Stones, but they should have packed it in 30 years ago.  Besides losing their chops, they're still acting like teenagers, and at this point that's just downright creepy.  What they should be doing at their age, is being cranky and complain about everything.   Follow me, is what I'm saying.  If Ron wants a guitar lesson, I'll throw that in gratis, but the Grumpy Lessons are going to cost him.

But Slim, c'mon, he's a cool guy, has great hair, a consitution of iron only exceeded by git nbr 1 in the Stones....is happy to take a subservient role to git 1...etc.  ;-)  (bad taste in women though.....Jo Wood at 50-odd is a billion times more fanciable than sundry drunk Russian 20-year olds.....)

Re Stones career?  I'm actually ok with them refusing to stop.  Who am I to tell Willie Mays or Mick Jagger to stop?  I wouldn't.

To me, the 65-68 Stones was their peak.....69-72 was another, different, peak but also great.  They had a fair number of good songs after that (EOMS) but it's been downhill ever since.  But even on the slide they've made music I rate and am glad was made.

Thanks.  You tell ;em.  :)

I have no idea why Slim went off on a tear.  He's entitled, although, in this thread, I'm not sure what "inspired" him.    I look forward to the day Slim starts a thread about a band he *really* despises, don't you?    HA.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I have no idea why Slim went off on a tear.  He's entitled, although, in this thread, I'm not sure what "inspired" him.    I look forward to the day Slim starts a thread about a band he *really* despises, don't you?    HA.  :)

Do you think that was "a tear" fron Slim?  Really?  It seemed totally reasonable and measured to me, though I disagreed with his POV. If you really do, yoga, then you must think I'm a maniac.....and I think I'm nice, if a bit passionate at times...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Do you think that was "a tear" fron Slim?  Really?  It seemed totally reasonable and measured to me, though I disagreed with his POV. If you really do, yoga, then you must think I'm a maniac.....and I think I'm nice, if a bit passionate at times...

Probaby should have said it  was "Slim being Slim"  -- that might have been more accurate.  :)    I like Slim, and I've howled at some of his posts that strike at the height of his brand of curmudgeonly humor, and his "GOM" routine.    For some reason, here, his remarks were pungent, with absolutely nothing to back them up -- seemed like pure personal attacks, which he's more than entitled to; if you don't like a rock star, then you don't like him; if he's creepy to you, so be it.  After all the discussions we've had recently, however, I'd find an argument more credible if guitar skill and tendencies toward being "creepy" were kept separate.   That's all.

You, Sonics, seem to keep your focus on the music, and you've mentioned your background, so in that context, no, I don't think of you as a maniac at all.  You have strong opinions, but they're generally backed up.   

I only commented because Slim "apologized" to me for wrecking a "feel good" thread (I honestly didn't mind); otherwise, I'd leave it to others to argue Slim's points.   As far as I can see, it's not as though anyone chimed in to agree with Slim ... so there ya go.  :)   Offhand, other commenters were more insightful and  astute re: the big picture, while Slim had tunnel vision.  Just my observation.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Oh boy.  Is it me?   I come in strong with an opinion and poof!  Someone I ticked off turns into the drummer from Spinal Tap.   Second time in as many weeks.  I should bow out, both those guys contributed way better than I ever have. 

I believe it's the same guy, different moniker. Your contributions are fine by me. Some posters just have a harder time with conflicting opinions. Plus, I think this stems from activity on another forum, not this one. It is rare that anyone is removed due to anything posted on our super cool music forum. Peace man!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ronnie was never needed to be an olympian athlete on his instrument. He fit in because he played wel off of Keith. The Stones were about the R&B beat. They never attempted to be a big blues oriented band like Yardbirds and Zep.

I agree with many that the Stones should have packed it in a very long time ago, but they make people happy. Personally. I like Ronnie's playing - it is sloppy and suffers from age. But back in the day, he was very good. His work on the album "Every Picture Tells a Story" is right on the mark.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.