Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?

For your consideration, I give you three land mark albums which were recorded in a three year time span; Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966) and Sgt. Pepper (1967).

Rubber Soul is considered the masterful bridge between The Beatles (Pop Band) and The Beatles (Musical Geniuses). I wonder if this is what Theo meant by bridge year for the Sox. [Sorry - couldn't help myself]

Revolver created a new idea as to what Popular music should sound like. Some say this was the true beginning of Alternative music.

Sgt. Pepper has been defined as a masterpiece, both musically and engineering wise. It was the first time a four track system was used in recording popular music.

I believe all three albums were ranked in the top 10 of all-time greatest albums by VH 1 and several other musical journals.

Now I know some also put The White Album in the discussion and that is up to you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?

I'm going to go with Pepper.  Looking back, it clearly wasn't as good an album as Revolver.  But at the time, it felt like a breakthough into an entirely new world in popular music where anything was possible.  I have a lot of fond memories of that album and the feelings it brought.  It was beyond just the music on the vinyl, it was the total experience.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?

Revolver is the only Beatles record that I've ever owned. But just from what I've seen in record stores, I would say that Sgt. Pepper must be the Beatles biggest record.

I think that Sgt. Pepper's album cover has to be the most famous album cover of all time. The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton also made a movie called "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" using a lot of songs from that album.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Disregarding my own personal preference for "The White Album" as The Beatles' pinnacle and my sincere admiration for the other contenders...

...I have to give the crown to "Revolver".

Even now, it still challenges the listener with mood, texture, nuance and an expansion of what we know as the pop song, even though it's still comprised of mostly pop songs.  That its songs are also less well-known generally than most of the other two LPs also speaks to its artistic integrity.

I would also argue that Revolver represents the band actively starting to find their own individual identities as musicians and songwriters...not the beginning of the end, per se, but more like the cheeky young lads growing into full-fledged artists with something important to say about themselves and world around them.  Pepper would have never happened without Revolver happening first, IMO

Track List:

1. Taxman Harrison 2:38

2. Eleanor Rigby Lennon, McCartney 2:06

3. I'm Only Sleeping Lennon, McCartney 3:00

4. Love You To Harrison 2:59

5. Here, There and Everywhere Lennon, McCartney 2:24

6. Yellow Submarine Lennon, McCartney 2:38

7. She Said She Said Lennon, McCartney 2:36

8. Good Day Sunshine Lennon, McCartney 2:09

9. And Your Bird Can Sing Lennon, McCartney 2:00

10. For No One Lennon, McCartney 1:59

11. Doctor Robert Lennon, McCartney 2:14

12. I Want To Tell You Harrison 2:27

13. Got To Get You Into My Life Lennon, McCartney 2:29

14. Tomorrow Never Knows Lennon, McCartney 3:01

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll echo Mattyhorn with "Revolver."

"Sgt. Pepper" made a bigger slash, I guess you could say, as many consider it the most influencial album ever. But "Revolver" begat "Sgt. Pepper." And in my opinion, it's far superior (though "A Day in the Life" still takes my breath away).

"Revolver" has some of their most incredible work, like "I'm Only Sleeping," "She Said She Said," "For No One" and "Eleanor Rigby." Aside from Abbey Road (my personal favorite), "Revolver" is the Beatles album I wear out the most.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I often wonder what would have happened had these boys not been mobbed everywhere they went. Beatlemania forced them to stop touring and create masterful studio albums.

I vote for Revolver, because it is an album made during a time when groups were still cutting singles and using the album as single or singles + filler. Not many great albums (excluding greatest hits) come from this early period. Revolver , I think was the album that made the album era come to be. The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zep and all the others concentrated on making entire albums of good music , not just singles....this is the legacy of what the Beatles did in music. Like Bobby Orr did in hockey a few years later, the Beatles dominated the charts and everyone followed their lead. They laid the blueprint for the future of Rock music...and really , I don't believe they had any idea they were trendsetters, they just did what they did and the rest , as they say, is history.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?:
    I often wonder what would have happened had these boys not been mobbed everywhere they went. Beatlemania forced them to stop touring and create masterful studio albums. I vote for Revolver, because it is an album made during a time when groups were still cutting singles and using the album as single or singles + filler. Not many great albums (excluding greatest hits) come from this early period. Revolver , I think was the album that made the album era come to be. The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zep and all the others concentrated on making entire albums of good music , not just singles....this is the legacy of what the Beatles did in music. Like Bobby Orr did in hockey a few years later, the Beatles dominated the charts and everyone followed their lead. They laid the blueprint for the future of Rock music...and really , I don't believe they had any idea they were trendsetters, they just did what they did and the rest , as they say, is history.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Well said.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is extremely difficult for me as these three are my personal fav's as well.

Rubber Soul is a very special album to me. On the subjective end, I consider In My Life to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It is a perfect compliment of melody, lyricism and emotion. I actually know three people who have the opening notes to this song tatooed somewhere on their body. I believe that "Word" is an amazing song that only the Beatles could pull off. Paul was playing around with a "Fuzz" bass during the recording of this album and I believe George introduced us to the sitar on Norwegian Wood.

Pepper is everything everyone has said. It was the perfect studio album. And when you think about it, Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane didn't even make the cut as they were originally recorded during these sessions. It is the album I listened to most as a kid. And as everyone said, A Day In a Life is just amazing. We should also remember that this album was the first to actually print the lyrics.

But in the end, it is Revolver for me. Although I always loved the album, I came to appreciate it more in the 80's. I thank REM for that. It was then that it dawned on me how the Beatles influence was still strong over a decade later. I went back to Revolver and listened closely to how different it truly was. Personally, I put the whole of the Alternative scene squarely on the Beatles shoulders.

Surprisingly, I think it is very easy to be objective when discussing this band because as we all saw in a different thread a couple of months ago, we all have several different favorite Beatles songs which spanned through their 7 1/2 year recording history.

I am still amazed by this - all this music in 7 1/2 years. Incredible.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I like Rubber Soul exactly for the reason that it was a bridge album. It modernizes the Beatles pop sound while pointing to the future. I actually prefer less production rather than more. I think Revolver also has some excellent songs but I don't enjoy studio trickery as much as more straight ahead playing. I like to hear recorded music that sounds more like a band playing rather than people concocting songs in a studio. This is not to say I don't like any studio albums, but I seem to lean toward the more straightforward approach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Of course the question to be asked is what Rubber Soul album. (To a lesser extent, what Revolver).

The British EMI Album The American Capitol Album
    Side 1: Side One
    Drive My Car I've Seen A Face
    Norwegian Wood Norwegian Wood
    You Won't See Me You Wont' See Me
    Nowhere Man Think For Yourself
    Think For Yourself The Word
    The Word Michelle
    Michelle Side Two
    Side 2: It's Only Love
    What Goes On Girl
    Girl I'm Looking Through You
    I'm Looking Through You In My Life
    In My Life Wait
    Wait Run For Your Life
    If I Needed Someone
    Run For Your Life

I'd say Sgt. Pepper because Rubber Soul and Revolver built up to Sgt. Pepper. Pepper was the album in which they finally took control and their albums weren't butchered any more. And it was Pepper that had the biggest impact, even if song-for-song, the other albums were equal or stronger.

All three albums have great music, but then again, all their albums have great music.

Dave Thompson has a book called "I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto." It's pretty good overall. Funny in some spots. I agree with a bunch of it, but in other spots, I disagree. His classic rock era is a bit too narrow for me.

Anyway, one of the chapters (all the chapters have funny titles) is called "The Curse of Pepper or The Worst Record You've Ever Sworn Was Genius." Thompson kind of states that the album is overrated, that while there's great songs like Strawberry Fields, there's also a lot of filler.

He writes, "How did it revolutionize music? Note for note, song for song, it was no more adventerous than either Pet Sounds or the Stones' Between the Buttons, and anybody who claims otherwise is too simple minded for words. It just had better PR."

He later writes that if an alien gave you a blank disc to fill with the best Beatles music, how much of Pepper would be on it. He wrote that Lennon said Pepper would be this amazing album and over the years it's been heralded as a great album for so long -- if you build it up enough, they'll agree -- that people now just assume it's a great album without really analyzing it.

He does, however, admit that Pepper made a tremendous impact. In the end, he is fine with Pepper being thought of as the greatest album. He writes: Still, it is a good thing that the Beatles are still deified today, and it is grand that Sgt. Pepper is still held up as the single most significant achievement of the entire rock 'n' roll age. Just think of the wretched calumnies that might otherwise be wrought were the position of Number One Greatest Album Ever Made By Anyone Ever to become open to change and interpretation as other popularity contests. ... Indeed, the longer Sgt. Pepper is held up as some kind of sacred benchmark, the less opportunity there will be for any latter-day talent to some day dislodge it. It's entrenched in the landscape, it's part of the furniture, it's one of rock's vital organs. ... But for as long as it's up there, glistening in the firmament, the barbarian hordes of modern-day youth will never e rect a false idol of there own in its place."

It's an interesting chapter.

By the way, the next chapter is called:

Grunge is Gonna Change the World, and Jam Bands Will Save Us from Ourselves, 
    or
    Papa's Got a Brand New Sh!tbag.

(In which we stop blaming the '80s for everything horrible and let the '90s take some of the blame as well)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

The question is akin to asking what you would rather have - a hundred dollar bill, five twenties or twenty fives. 

Every time the Beatles would release a new album, my good buddy Ron and I would pick it up that day after school (at Malden Music Store), bring it home and listen to it about ten times.  Rubber Soul broke the mold though.  IMO that was the album that steered rock/pop music and culture into a whole new realm.  The cover alone was instrumental in shaping how we looked.  We just about wore that vinyl out.

However, Revolver is the album that I have listened to more than any other.  Taxman is probably my favorite opening song on any album all time.  

I lead a monthly song circle, and of the three albums in question, some of the tunes from Sgt. Pepper are the most requested for singing.  Here's a short clip of a Beatles sing along I led at this past summer's Humboldt Folklife Festival.  People of all generations just love singing Beatles tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHgqSji6yf0

In the final analysis, all three were ground breaking and could stand alone as the seminal recording of their time, which is another way of saying I really can't choose between the three. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

That's a good Youtube link Joel. I believe you shared it on a Sox game thread a few weeks ago. With sing alongs like that, the Beatles will never be forgotten.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

off topic, i know, but i have a question for jesseyeric - what did you think of the movie (and of course soundtrack) All Across The Universe?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Yes, no. 4, I did bring it up on the game thread.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In Response to Re: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper - Which was The Beatles greatest achievement?:
    off topic, i know, but i have a question for jesseyeric - what did you think of the movie (and of course soundtrack) All Across The Universe?
    Posted by tgihal

If I may interject (not being jessey and all), I thought the movie was outstanding in that the Beatles covers were mostly done differently from the originals.   I think it takes a hell of a lot of guts and creativity to do a Beatles' song in said manner.   Just listen to the sound track to (or see) "I Am Sam" and you'll hear the difference and see what I mean.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I'll go Sgt. Pepper for history but I think I like Revolver better. Remember a lot of us "old heads" remember the albums with less songs. I know the british albums had more songs then the american and when they went to CD they added more like the british albums. Am I right? So what I'm saying is I base it on the american shortened version in the 60's rather then what are now on the CD's. Ok I just read Roy's post so he had the same idea. I will always think of "I'm only sleeping" on "Yesterday and Today" instead of "Revolver" So I like Revolver among those three but if it was the "White Album" that would be my favorite of all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll go Sgt. Pepper for history but I think I like Revolver better. Remember a lot of us "old heads" remember the albums with less songs. I know the british albums had more songs then the american and when they went to CD they added more like the british albums. Am I right? So what I'm saying is I base it on the american shortened version in the 60's rather then what are now on the CD's. Ok I just read Roy's post so he had the same idea. I will always think of "I'm only sleeping" on "Yesterday and Today" instead of "Revolver" So I like Revolver among those three but if it was the "White Album" that would be my favorite of all.
    Posted by jaytf25

My experience with Revolver was the same.  Along with "I'm only sleeping", the other songs that were cut from the North American version were 'Doctor Robert' and 'And Your Bird Can Sing'.  And I first heard those songs on "Yesterday and Today".  When I bought the Revolver CD those three songs felt like 'bonus tracks', not part of the original album.  Weird but that's what packaging will do.

Another thing that seems to affect my perception of the albums is the cover art.  Revolver had a very cool cover but it was sort of black-and-white.  Then Pepper had this spectacular psychedelic packaging and that gave it kind of a brighter, more colorful feeling for me.

Sections
Shortcuts