Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

Anybody catch this on VH1? One of the best rock and roll documentaries I've ever seen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

In Response to Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage:
    [QUOTE]Anybody catch this on VH1? One of the best rock and roll documentaries I've ever seen.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    No, but I'll keep an eye out for it. VH1 does a great job with these documentaries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It was well done and very insightful.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Yes, it aired a few months ago; there was a short thread about it here. Very informative and well produced. I'd probably watch it again just for the live clips.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Excellent doc...and one of the very few I've seen that speaks to the peculiarity of a band like Rush - one that can inspire such a devoted fervor and cultish appeal yet break through to the masses in a more profound way than anyone ever gave them credit for.  Their longevity speaks for itself.  I still remember a blurb of an interview with Robert Plant in the early 70's who was quite aware and appreciative of Rush.  High praise, indeed.

Funny, but I know some people who know a lot about popular music and yet can't stand Rush.  But the Rush fans I do know are REALLY fans who would follow them to their grave (probably with one of Neil's drum sticks they snagged during the Counterparts Tour).

My takeaway from all this is that "progressive" rock groups separate the truly devoted fan from the casual fans.  Whether we're talking about ELP, Queen, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc...there seems to be very little middle ground.

This is an informed group...anyone else have anything to add...?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Rush has some awesome live DVD's out too. 

Never seem them live, but that changes in about 2 weeks (about 20 yrs too late).  Cant wait

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry I missed it.

Hope they repeat it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Palladia is showing this uninterrupted - or has - over the last few weeks.  It is a superb documentary.  I was particularly impressed with the story of how Neil (and Geddy and Alex, too) got through the agony of losing his wife and daughter. Highly recommended.  It is also available on DVD and Blu-ray.  Those versions have more content than was shown on Palladia. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Palladia deserves a pat on the back for being a music channel that plays nothing but, you know, music. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage:
    [QUOTE]Palladia deserves a pat on the back for being a music channel that plays nothing but, you know, music. 
    Posted by schmangell[/QUOTE]

Yes, very much unlike another Music TeleVision channel I could mention. I caught a Foo Fighters concert on their a couple nights ago that was neat.

As for Rush, they were huge during my high school years but I loathed them. Mainly because of Geddy Lee's voice, which I couldn't stand. It wasn't until about 10 years ago I realized how wrong I was. It's amazing what fantastic musicians those three are.

I have to admit I didn't particularly enjoy their synthesizer era in the mid-80s. But you have to admire a band that takes on challenges. I've worn out Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures since buying them. I also like Snakes and Arrows, their most recent disc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bumping -- in light of the recent RUSH rampage in other threads. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

nice digging...i thought the documentary was extremely well done. another really good one was Iron Maiden: Flight 666 or something similar to that title. they fly their own plane but the concerts  are still killer.