School Daze comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

Re: Thinking About the next voting poll/contest.

In Response to Re: Thinking About the next voting poll/contest.:
    [QUOTE]i think the 70s would be awesome...because the beatles would dominate the 60s. at least, i hope they would.  a cage match is welcome in my book!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

anyone with an open mind and a good catalogue of 60's music would not allow the BEATLES to dominate. in an above post i mentioned two great 60's albums that were not associated with the BEATLES. 1965-1970,imo, the greatest period in the history of R 'N" R music.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have an open mind and just about every album from the 60's and the Beatles would absolutely dominate the top 25 with at least 5 albums.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]I have an open mind and just about every album from the 60's and the Beatles would absolutely dominate the top 25 with at least 5 albums.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

hey jessey,
    5 out of 25 is not absolute domination. i would certainly pick RUBBER SOUL and REVOLVER.
    here would be my top 10 albums of the 60's in no particular order:

let it bleed
    revolver
    odessey and oracle
    forever changes
    rubber soul
    village green preservation society
    pet sounds
    velvet underground -the 2nd album on mgm
    blonde on blonde
    who sell out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

OK - our definition of domination is a little different. I figure 20% is a dominating number. I really do like some of your choices although I am not sure about top 10.

I have left the Sox forum due to the stupidity that has seeped in and can get back into my true passion, RnR.

I will see what I can come up with that will be fun and bring out some really good conversation.

I do like your choice of The Kinks in the top 10.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

My main suggestion, jessey, is to just make a list with the theme.   We'll give input to add or subtract from it.   Then we just go for it. 

It's just for fun, and no matter where the discussion takes place, here or another music forum, no two people are going to come up with the same list, we'll just reach for consensus.  

If the list turns out to be really long, all we have to do is start with more aggressive voting (2 up - 2 down) --- and then you can even delete names from the list that are getting no response or opinion after a while.  Otherwise, what's the rush?  The thread just lives in the board and we vote when we want to vote and it takes on a life of its own.

BTW, byebyeepstein has some good input (and hilarious screen name). :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

How about LP's per decade going on simultaneously and then battle the winners against each other to crown best LP.  Give a time frame for the prelims of say 2 weeks or whatever then which ever is leading that album gets to represent it's decade.  also rather than get all bent on the nominating protocol just grab the best of albums from pitchfork or rolling stone or some other pre-existing  list (it would simplify the process, and eliminate any whining from someone who's obscure favorite is not included)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

thank you yogafriend; anyone who loves music is a yogafriend of mine.
    and jessey; i love your avatar.

in fact, i would have no problem declaring MOTT by MOTT THE HOOPLE as one of the best rock albums of the 70's. it's definitely in my top 5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]How about LP's per decade going on simultaneously and then battle the winners against each other to crown best LP.  Give a time frame for the prelims of say 2 weeks or whatever then which ever is leading that album gets to represent it's decade.  also rather than get all bent on the nominating protocol just grab the best of albums from pitchfork or rolling stone or some other pre-existing  list (it would simplify the process, and eliminate any whining from someone who's obscure favorite is not included)
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with using an existing list for ease of getting started.  The decade split proposal is interesting, but would make it harder to gauge the group's relative assessment across time.  That is, rather than having a final set of 1 or 2 from each decade, it might be fascinating to see if for example 7 or more out of the group's 10 favorites across the entire list are from the 70's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The music world is our oyster, so to speak....

Perhaps we could isolate the albums to just five years: 1965-1969, for instance, though I'll predict that most would come from that period anyway.  1960-1964 would be a ripe challenge.

Given even a single year, I think I could easily come up with 25 classics for comparison, but again, I'll defer to the group....

(Too bad the BDC forum software is so clunky with pictures...a game of album covers would be rich.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]The music world is our oyster, so to speak.... Perhaps we could isolate the albums to just five years: 1965-1969, for instance, though I'll predict that most would come from that period anyway.  1960-1964 would be a ripe challenge. Given even a single year , I think I could easily come up with 25 classics for comparison, but again, I'll defer to the group.... (Too bad the BDC forum software is so clunky with pictures...a game of album covers would be rich.)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

great 60's album cover: MOBY GRAPE before the middle finger got air brushed.
    i, fortunately, have that one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I like some of the ideas here. Iwas thinking about coming up with top albums in 5 year intervals and then pitting the top 3-5 from each grouping against each other.

51-55; 56-60; 61-65; 66-70; 71-75; 76-80; 81-85; 85-90; 91-95; 95-00

Based on this criteria, we should come up with 30 -50 albums covering 50 years of Rock and Roll/Popular Music. And it would be inclusive of all the fads; punk, Hair Bands, Brit Invasion; NWOBM; Grunge; Singer/songwriter, etc.

Since the new millenium is only 10 years old, I am not sure if we should include the last 10 years. That is up to you.

The other questions I have is do we make this list all inclusive; R&B, Soul; Pop; Folk; Country & Blues or would you prefer a pure Rock and Roll list?

I am open to all ideas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]thank you yogafriend; anyone who loves music is a yogafriend of mine. and jessey; i love your avatar. in fact, i would have no problem declaring MOTT by MOTT THE HOOPLE as one of the best rock albums of the 70's. it's definitely in my top 5.Posted by byebyeepstein[/QUOTE]
    Welcome to the forum, byebye. Laughing All points of view are welcome here.  Stick around.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If you get the list(s) off of Rolling Stone, Spin, etc., just take what they have. 

Also, if you go too far back (like earlyy 50's) -- well, that might be just too far back for many of us to know the music. 

Maybe start with the sixties?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If we could do something truly unpredictable, that would really be fun (and possibly funny).

Offbeat and not of as much consequence, and more surprising?  Such as:

Guilty pleasure or cheesy acts?
    Diamond, Manilow, Stevie Wonder, Abba, Phil Collins, Cher ...

Who has the pipes but I hate them anyhow?  (lots of the pop singers we never talk about but we have to admit they have the pipes) 

WORST band instead of best?

Dead or disbanded but I can't let go?  (musicians who have been dead for years and years, or bands that broke up years ago and still listen to the music, love it, and will never let go of it)  Leave out the Doors and the Beatles.  duh.

Would any of these yield a long enough list?  Or just too much of a joke?  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thinking About the next voting poll/contest. : great 60's album cover: MOBY GRAPE before the middle finger got air brushed. i, fortunately, have that one.
    Posted by byebyeepstein[/QUOTE]

I have an Atom Heart Mother t-shirt...some people have asked me if it's a statement about veganism....

:))

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

yogafriend, i'm going to announce the band i hate the most of all time; this is so therapeutic for me. drum roll please: JOURNEY. don't get me wrong, there's a lot more groups that i dislike, but not as much as these guys.
    i also agree with you that the lists should start with 1960 and then go thru
    and i think it should be all inclusive(every gender of music-great music is great music).
    maybe break it down in decades:1960-69; 1970-79; 1980-89; and 1990-99.
    everyone who wants to get involved should list their top ten albums(cd's)
    for each ten year period.
    i think it's more interesting to deal with great music than bad music.

it could be fine tuned to either more than 10 or less than 10 albums per decade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

byebye,
    So it's Journey for you?  Good to know.  :D

You're probably right that it's best to dwell on music we like, at least for a game thread.

However, I can always make a few threads for the other topics, such as worst band(s) of all time, as I can't recall that topic being discussed in a thread here and I've been here quite a while.  I find the negative side of things very entertaining, especially with music (and comments from this group). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Am I too late to plead a case for the 50's? Although I feel like I'm in the minority here.

If we are voting on albums, however, the fifties albums tended to be more collections of singles than actually conceived as albums. I love much of the music of the 50's but it is at a disadvantage when up against the mid to late
    60's and beyond because that is when the album became the more dominant medium to sell music. I am torn between the singles era and the album era as both had their strengths and weaknesses.

I notice that many who post here do not hark back to 50's music as much as I do. I still would like to make a case for including the 50's, as it is the era that gave birth to the foundation for all the sounds that rock ever produced. It just wasn't an era for albums.

Also, I think we should include all genres of popular music. Every time you try to narrow down pop music, it's very difficult to know where to draw the boundary lines between genres.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

well, i've already exposed my 60's top ten, so i'll continue on with my 70's top ten. again, in no particular order, except the 1st one:

london calling--clash
    more songs about buildings & food--talking heads
    who's next
    exile on main street
    blood on the tracks
    innervisions
    cosmo's factory
    low--david bowie
    rocket to russia--ramones
    this years model--e. costello

please feel free to comment or, better yet, list your own top tens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

[QUOTE]Am I too late to plead a case for the 50's? Although I feel like I'm in the minority here. If we are voting on albums, however, the fifties albums tended to be more collections of singles than actually conceived as albums. I love much of the music of the 50's but it is at a disadvantage when up against the mid to late 60's and beyond because that is when the album became the more dominant medium to sell music. I am torn between the singles era and the album era as both had their strengths and weaknesses. I notice that many who post here do not hark back to 50's music as much as I do. I still would like to make a case for including the 50's, as it is the era that gave birth to the foundation for all the sounds that rock ever produced. It just wasn't an era for albums. Also, I think we should include all genres of popular music. Every time you try to narrow down pop music, it's very difficult to know where to draw the boundary lines between genres.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

good point; not an "album" decade.
    perhaps a list of the top ten singles from the 50's.
    for example: I ONLY HAVE EYES FOR YOU--FLAMINGOS.
                      JAILHOUSE ROCK--ELVIS
                      MAYBELLINE------CHUCK BERRY

that could work.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I never realized music went as far back as the 50's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Can always try and do albums by specific genre and then go from there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I know what I am going to try. Hope you like it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

To jesseyeric, yogafriend and everyone else involved in the voting threads: guys, I'm sorry but I can't participate in these.  They are just too time-consuming for me.  I am already consuming a major amount of time on these forums.  And if I ramp it up any further, the song most relevant to my life might be D-I-V-O-R-C-E. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]I know what I am going to try. Hope you like it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Love the list.  We could have spent weeks "discussing" what should be on it, but if it's as hard to find a negative vote as I think it is then it's fine as is.  The voting scheme though may lead to a LONG duration due to it being net positive, so the deletions (after the first few) may be pretty slow.