School Daze comments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: School Daze comments

Cool.

[If anyone is still interested, I have a few topics (surprised?) which would suit the survivor-esque format.  Given the dearth of players though, I would shrink the initial list to a more modest 15 or so.]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments:
    Cool. [If anyone is still interested, I have a few topics (surprised?) which would suit the survivor-esque format.  Given the dearth of players though, I would shrink the initial list to a more modest 15 or so.]
    Posted by MattyScornD
    RE: Survivoresque.  Is the implication we'd have to get through a series of challenges, and if we fail, then along the lines of Survivor (sorry, but I stopped watching it years ago)-- we get kicked out of the game?   

Either way, if you can finesse the structure of the game to work for us, go for it.

I'll post my game thread next week.  It can serve as an on-going thread; it's as much fun as the creativity people use when they post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments : RE: Survivoresque.  Is the implication we'd have to get through a series of challenges, and if we fail, then along the lines of Survivor (sorry, but I stopped watching it years ago)-- we get kicked out of the game?    Either way, if you can finesse the structure of the game to work for us, go for it. I'll post my game thread next week.  It can serve as an on-going thread; it's as much fun as the creativity people use when they post.
    Posted by yogafriend

I was thinking more in context of "voting off the island", but same difference...

Instead, I'll take the echoing silence to mean that few are still interested that format.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

how can stairway almost be gone? overplayed, yes, but seriously? that song is phenomenal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I haven't touched "Stairway" and I don't think anyone else has until recently.  It's process of elimination, so at some point, they're all going to sink to the bottom ... except for one.

And speaking of that -- due to the low number of gamers this time, is it possible to be even MORE aggressive with the voting?     Just a thought.

Oh, and I mentioned I had an (ongoing style) game thread to put up; I'll post it asap. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

please do, slim

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I was tempted to rejoin, especially since j-e did return, just to add another batch of negative votes to the mix and speed it up a bit. But I know you didn't like it much when a couple of johnny come latelys tried voting in the last game so I'll stay out unless I get an all-clear from those who have been voting regularly.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII
    Yup, I did at the time feel it distorted the process, but since that time, I've seen the light.  :D   Additionally, I'm not the owner of this thread, so my head set is one of participation, and that's it.  Regardless, since you're a regular member here, you can come and go as you please, as far as I'm concerned.  My preferance would be for you to jump back in, if you are so inclined because quite simply, the more the merrier.  

Slim, what's it gonna be?  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

how can stairway almost be gone? overplayed, yes, but seriously? that song is phenomenal.
    Posted by phsmith8

call it "the wzlx curse"...

...not to be confused with "the big chill curse", the wrath of which will be unleashed shortly.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

let me sleep on it, i'll give you answer in the morn - oh, wait, i was channeling meatloaf for a second. i'm in!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Glad to have you jump back in, Slim!   Hey, and Happy Birthday!!

(BTW, June is my favorite month and I always wished I had been born in June.  I even threatened my mother to  have my birthday changed to June at one point!)

Take out your best roots and blues music, and enjoy yourself.

PS I also await Matty's wrath-infested post.  :D

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments : I'm still trying to decipher this one.  I haven't seen 'The Big Chill' in 20+ years so my memories of the soundtrack are a little sketchy.  Looking at the current game, the only song that I _think_ was in the movie was 'Whiter Shade of Pale' (plus lots of Motown, and of course "Joy to the World" and "Can't Always get what you want").  I guess I'll be watching Matty closely for the unleasing of his wrath.  Could you point it towards jkband at least?  ;-)
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

A "High Fidelity" reference...wherein the characters engage in "Top 5"-type banter like the music snobs they so proudly are...

...and in which any song title associated with "The Big Chill" is grounds for instant disqualification (despite one's own affection for the song).

I don't make the rules; I'm just a lowly standard-bearer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments : Glad to have you jump back in, Slim!   Hey, and Happy Birthday!! (BTW, June is my favorite month and I always wished I had been born in June.  I even threatened my mother to  have my birthday changed to June at one point!) Take out your best roots and blues music, and enjoy yourself. PS I also await Matty's wrath-infested post.  :D
    Posted by yogafriend

This is why you love me - I am a June baby!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments : This is why you love me - I am a June baby!
    Posted by jesseyeric

Oh, so that's the reason!  I knew there had to be a cosmic reason, because nothing else makes any sense!
    Laughing
    ps ... actually, that really is funny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: School Daze comments : Oh, so that's the reason!  I knew there had to be a cosmic reason, because nothing else makes any sense! ps ... actually, that really is funny.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Cosmic or destiny - I am good with both

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The fate (or destiny) of the thread is in danger if we don't speed it up soon.

Would it be possible to speed it up?  And soon?  

A more aggressive voting pattern is needed.

What do you (JE, and everyone) think?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I suggest just dropping the +1 vote, and leaving the -1 and -2 votes.  I wouldn't do any more than that -- there's always the possibility of a "stealth" winner (few votes either up or down thus far), but it should work itself out once the list is down to the last 5-7.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

How about all songs which have not amassed at least 15 votes be automatically pulled from contention, but keep voting as is. We pull songs Saturday morning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I suggest just dropping the +1 vote, and leaving the -1 and -2 votes.  I wouldn't do any more than that -- there's always the possibility of a "stealth" winner (few votes either up or down thus far), but it should work itself out once the list is down to the last 5-7.
    Posted by gerbs

Agreed.  I like the idea of dropping the plus vote altogether, starting asap.  Some of us have voted today, but it's not an exact science at this point, so any time today or certainly tomorrow would be fine.   Why wait?

And eliminating all of the low vote songs is a great idea.  If we eliminate the plus vote for the rest of the week, there may not be many left on this short list by the end of the week.  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If we eliminate immediately, that is 4 bands gone with a 5th one vote away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

We are coming to an end of this latest poll/vote, whatever you want to call it. Took much longer than I thought & didn't receive as much attention as I thought. I think I will leave these things to my love Yogi.

Of note - Like a Rolling Stone and Across the universe were the clear frontrunners and then as soon as we changed the voting scheme, they both dropped quickly. All that is left is Purple Haze, Wish you Were Here and the Weight. And by the looks of it, The Weight has great respect amongst our community. And I can understand that, it truly is a perfect song.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, i didn't want to touch the weight. i think gerbs and i had a battle over those two songs and we both ended up losing because of it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

yeah, i didn't want to touch the weight. i think gerbs and i had a battle over those two songs and we both ended up losing because of it.
    Posted by phsmith8

It's undignified for penguins to get involved in battles, but first Aretha v. Chrissie and this time Beatles v. Dylan.  Actually, The Beatles would likely win 9 times out of 10 but ATU has just never been a standout for me.

In any event, The Weight is a very worthy winner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Totally cracking up.  Jessey, I think the success of the first favorite-vote thread was due to the topic :D  and the fact it was a novelty / first here.  I did keep an eye on it b/c I wanted to ensure the group energy was sustained. 

I think the second thread might have been too close on the heels of mine, and people didn't want to get invested again so soon.   I didn't fully appreciate the list of songs until a couple of weeks went by, and then I began to see what an interesting list it really was. 

I built up "Purple Haze" all by myself, so if it's in the final three, that's pretty funny.   As far as "The Weight" is concerned, yes, I now see it as an amazing song.   WYWH is an awesome song, too, so I really think we narrowed it down to the cream of the crop. 

Sections
Shortcuts