Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band)

Bet you don't discuss Seether very often.  Well, here's your chance, that is, if you have an opinion.   

Offically founded in 1999 (granted, under another name prior to Seether which was Saron Gas), we might as well say they're a band from the aughts. Okay?  Since we have a hard time coming up with bands that are decent that debuted in that era, Seether might actually be one that made a fine entry and has been delivering ever since.  

I happen to like Shaun Morgan's voice.  Overall -- too much angst, with the band, with the music, with the lyrics?   Are their influences too great to have an original sound of their own?   

Their radio friendly hits range from, "Broken" - "Fade Away" - "Never Leave"  - "Remedy"  -- to name a few.  

Thoughts, anyone?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band)

This is , in fact, the first time I have ever entered into a discussion about them.

So I guess that's "not very often."

Perhaps I've heard of them, I don't recall. None of what you are saying rings a bell. I'll have to go to You Tube and see if that jars my memory.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I like Veruca Salt, the band who recorded the song "Seether" (among others)...

...which was the inspiration for the band of the same name.

Not sure I've ever heard the band Seether, tho...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I was never too big of a fan of the actual music, though he does have a very good voice.  You kind of have to have a good voice in that kind of band.  Better than others that fall into their category, for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Could have been a lot worse, I suppose.  I almost posted on Creed.   

I was thinking about Evanesence as a short-lived band (I was close, they have three albums -- so they don't qualify).  It's hard to admit, but I liked them a bit in the earlier aughts, the only relative goth band that I really liked, and the lead singer, Amy Lee, did a song with Seether that was a huge hit called, "Broken" so the band worlds collided for fans of either / both bands.  

I'll have to see if phs has an opinion.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No clue - need to look up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Veruca Salt's song has nothing to do with the band.  :)  (not sure I know any other of VS's songs, matter of fact).

Seether is not an American band.  Not entirely major, and maybe the song by the same name does confuse the matter, but Seether is not what I'd call an obscure band.    But ... maybe more than I thought.  

Perhaps a fair number of bands that were founded in the early 90's had a similar sound.  Seether may have been one of the more generic sounding bands, and just never stood out enough.   

JE, no worries.   They're no Tesla.  :P

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band):
    [QUOTE]Veruca Salt's song has nothing to do with the band.  :)  (not sure I know any other of VS's songs, matter of fact). Seether is not an American band.  Not entirely major, and maybe the song by the same name does confuse the matter, but Seether is not what I'd call an obscure band.    But ... maybe more than I thought.   Perhaps a fair number of bands that were founded in the early 90's had a similar sound.  Seether may have been one of the more generic sounding bands, and just never stood out enough.    JE, no worries.   They're no Tesla.  :P
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Seether. Broken was a great track, especially with Amy Lee. Fine Again was also real good. I think they are more popular than people give them credit for.  And I agree that they are far from obscure ---- and even though they do have a generic sound, it is one that seems to resonate with a lot of people given the popularity of similar bands such as Shinedown, Fuel, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, Nickleback, Greed(yuk).......etc..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like Seether. Broken was a great track, especially with Amy Lee. Fine Again was also real good. I think they are more popular than people give them credit for.  And I agree that they are far from obscure ---- and even though they do have a generic sound, it is one that seems to resonate with a lot of people given the popularity of similar bands such as Shinedown, Fuel, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, Nickleback, Greed(yuk).......etc..
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Well, you came along at just the right time once again. :)   Seether's sound is distinctive to me, but admittedly, very similar to other bands of that era.  Staind, definitely.  I almost posted on them because they're from MA, and have been very successful.  The more I think about it, many of said bands can be seen as quite a sub-genre -- you're either into them or you're not.  They must be hauling a$$ on some level, though, or they wouldn't have survived for the past 15 years or so (and counting).    :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Veruca Salt's song has nothing to do with the band.  :)  

Though it may have been written in error, I did read that the VS song inspired the band's name.

That's what I get for trusting teh inter-tubes...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : Though it may have been written in error, I did read that the VS song inspired the band's name. That's what I get for trusting teh inter-tubes...
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'm "banging my head on the wall" in spirit right now (for practical reasons, I just can't) because I could not see how the VS song, written years after Seether was founded, could have any bearing on their name, despite the band changing their original name after the first few years.  It didn't add up -- but I'm not good at math, and apparently, the song was there when the band changed names.  

Many pardons.  My bad.  I have to use my congested head as a partial excuse, otherwise, "welcome to my world" or "this is the story of my life" -- take your pick.  :D  

End note: Seether is a decent power trio, and in the tradition of grunge bands, not at all pretty.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : I'm "banging my head on the wall" in spirit right now (for practical reasons, I just can't) because I could not see how the VS song, written years after Seether was founded, could have any bearing on their name, despite the band changing their original name after the first few years.  It didn't add up -- but I'm not good at math, and apparently, the song was there when the band changed names.   Many pardons.  My bad.  I have to use my congested head as a partial excuse, otherwise, "welcome to my world" or "this is the story of my life" -- take your pick.  :D   End note: Seether is a decent power trio, and in the tradition of grunge bands, not at all pretty.  

No worries.  It's all good.

Based upon your thread, I gave them a listen.  Not bad by grunge-y standards.  Turns out I had heard them, just didn't know what in heck they were called.

Just about anything is better than creed, imnsho...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : No worries.  It's all good. Based upon your thread, I gave them a listen.  Not bad by grunge-y standards.  Turns out I had heard them, just didn't know what in heck they were called. Just about anything is better than creed, imnsho...
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

The only reason I was (or still might) post on Creed (or use them as an example) is partly because the only "mainstream" acts that seem to get bashed here are GaGa (goes off on an automatic timer every  3 months or so, and quite tiresome) and Madonna.  
    There are an abundance of arena, male-testosterone, sickeningly unctuous bands that get 20 million hits on youtube, and sell millions of records, that seem to get overlooked, and sometimes I wonder what people think of them.   No one listens to GaGa, yet everyone has an opinion. Heh.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions of these outrageously popular bands that they also don't listen to ... maybe next week.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]  There are an abundance of arena, male-testosterone, sickeningly unctuous bands that get 20 million hits on youtube, and sell millions of records, that seem to get overlooked, and sometimes I wonder what people think of them.   No one listens to GaGa, yet everyone has an opinion. Heh.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions of these outrageously popular bands that they also don't listen to ... maybe next week.  

Cool.  I've mentioned some of those bands in the "most hated" threads before, e.g. the excruciatingly bad Nickleback and so on.  Given the choice, I'd probably pick Gaga over Creed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : The only reason I was (or still might) post on Creed (or use them as an example) is partly because the only "mainstream" acts that seem to get bashed here are GaGa (goes off on an automatic timer every  3 months or so, and quite tiresome) and Madonna.   There are an abundance of arena, male-testosterone, sickeningly unctuous bands that get 20 million hits on youtube, and sell millions of records, that seem to get overlooked, and sometimes I wonder what people think of them.   No one listens to GaGa, yet everyone has an opinion. Heh.  So I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions of these outrageously popular bands that they also don't listen to ... maybe next week.  

I'm one that often has no opinion because I usually haven't heard the music, from Gaga to Creed. And when I do venture out to listen to small sample I'm usually not interested enough to pursue further listening and form an opinion. The one performer you introduced me to who I have some interest in is Adele. I haven't committed to buying anything by her but there is potential. A lot of music is simply way off my radar. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seether (barely made the cut as a 90's band) : I'm one that often has no opinion because I usually haven't heard the music, from Gaga to Creed. And when I do venture out to listen to small sample I'm usually not interested enough to pursue further listening and form an opinion. The one performer you introduced me to who I have some interest in is Adele. I haven't committed to buying anything by her but there is potential. A lot of music is simply way off my radar. 
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    Nice, DD.  You're very fair-minded.  There are many threads here (and elsewhere where I hang out) where I have no opinion either; I'm there to read, listen and learn.  In doing that, I'm building a base of knowledge, you know, and what's quite fun and rewarding, is seeing that base grow over time, just by continuing to read and keeping my eyes open.   I guess it's okay for some people to just wait around until they have something to say and never think there's anything to learn but I'm not one of them.   And from the sound of it, you're not either. 

I listen to small samples that are posted, too, and no, the music doesn't always tilt me in the direction to pursue it, but we're still learning something (new) every time we at least give it a shot.  

As for Adele?  I posted on her before "21" came out, over a year ago, as I frequent an international board, and the European release was months ahead of the USA.  She now, of course, has made a name for herself (without wearing any costumes -- ha ha!!)  -- so it's nice to hear that her music has resonated with you on some level.    Thanks for letting me know (and giving me a reason to smile for another minute today) ...  

Sections
Shortcuts