Seven Ages of Rock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Seven Ages of Rock

Has anyone ever watched this 7 part BBC/VH1 joint venture? Do you have any opinions?

It kind of lost me from the start when the first episode "Birth of Rock" starts with a quick reflection on the Blues and then moves into the Rolling Stones. Did they forget Buddy Holly, Elvis, etc.

Another thought, when discussing the British Invasion, how exactly is it that they missed a small band from Liverpool. Not one mention of them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Seven Ages of Rock

I remember seeing parts of it. As I recall, it wasn't bad from what I saw but I didn't see it all from start to finish so I don't know what they missed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I thought it was way too many talking heads who feel their take on the various scenes are just as important as the music itself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Brit-centric to say the least, but still rather entertaining.

For anyone curious about the myriad impacts on rock and roll and the very complex 'family tree' of british rock from our friends across the pond.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - still don't understand how you completely skip over the Beatles. Unless of course Apple declined permission to use the Beatles, but considering it is a documentary of sort, I am not sure you would even need their permission.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Seven Ages of Rock:
    [QUOTE]Matty - still don't understand how you completely skip over the Beatles. Unless of course Apple declined permission to use the Beatles, but considering it is a documentary of sort, I am not sure you would even need their permission.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

It's been a while, but I believe they were mentioned in the first episode...

...but then I viewed it as more of an exercise in dividing the last 50 or so years into 'buckets' or strands that were easily translatable to a tv serial format; at that point the producers are merely fitting blocks together in a loose narrative and not a comprehensive survey of rock music.

Or, perhaps, you could perceive the series as being so respectful of the beatles' legacy that their contributions simply go without saying...??    i.e., the "band that needs no introduction", so it doesn't get one?   ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

You take it far better than me.

I guess no one else watched.

Sections
Shortcuts