Should "Roadrunner" be the state song for Massachusetts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Should "Roadrunner" be the state song for Massachusetts?

Do you think Jonathan Richman's "Roadrunner" should be our state song? If not, what would you pick for the state song? Why?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re: Should

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Ah BDC, even when you mean well you blow it.  What up with that lame remake?  Use the original:

http://youtu.be/BgRYncR1Nog

+1,000,000

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I thought they meant this one before I opened up the thread. :-)

Bo Diddley - Roadrunner

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from noside61. Show noside61's posts

No. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zots. Show zots's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbkbGF27JyY

I like Jonathan Richmond, but if you want a beautiful song that mentions Massachusetts, this is obviously it....

"Massachusetts" by the Bee Gees....beautiful. Like our state.

Z

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I would suggest the song by Michael Jackson as the state song..........."Smooth Criminal"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

Great song from a great album. I would prefer "Government Center" from the same album.

"Well we've got alot alot alot of hard work today/We gotta rock at the government center/Make the secretaries feel better/When they put those stamps on the letters"

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steve-Potischman. Show Steve-Potischman's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Do you think Jonathan Richman's "Roadrunner" should be our state song? If not, what would you pick for the state song? Why?

Please, please, no. Absolutely not. It's one of the worst, most annoying, musically inept songs in history. I'd rather hear someone run their fingernails down a blackboard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spciv. Show spciv's posts

They don't have any other bills to write? What a waste of time.Do something constructive!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OverTheEdge. Show OverTheEdge's posts

Tax Man, by the Beatles

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jackritser. Show Jackritser's posts

If you grew up in the 70's, the song has great resonance.

And if you went to UMass even more.    "Going to the university with the towers"

Yes, let's choose it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArapahoJoe. Show ArapahoJoe's posts

Well, if we are going with a JR/Modern Lovers song, I'd vote for "Pablo Picasso."   You know...."Some guys try to pick up girls and get called a-holes but that never happened to Pablo Picasso...."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kalafish. Show kalafish's posts

In response to BostonDotCom's comment:

Definitely YES!  Always loved this song.

"Gonna drive to the Stop 'n Shop

With the radio on at night"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Sid Vicious attempted to sing a cover of this in the Great Rock and Roll Swindle.. Butchered it badly.. Good tune..

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Or:

The MM Bosstones' "They Came To Boston" 

UMass has its own permanent anthem thanks to the Pixies...and a better alma mater I can't think of, either....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyt. Show tonyt's posts

"Roadrunner" should be the Commonwealth's offcial Rock n' Roll song since it captures the energy and spirit of our area, and bridges the early days of the Bosstown Sound with the music of today.

"Roadrunner's" roots are in "muddy water" and the Boston Tea Party, but it proved to be one of the most influential songs in rock, lauching successive waves of new talent. Not true for the competing song, "Dream On," a bland, album-oriented rock tune that is lazy and forgettable.

Countless musicians cite Richman as an influence. Aerosmith appeals to music consumers. Not a bad thing, but Boston is a creative place, and, in my book, a song that reflects that heritage gets the honors.

Richman pays tribute to Boston in many songs. Listen to: "The Fenway," "Girlfriend," "Lonely Financial Zone," "Government Center," "Modern World," "Twilight in Boston," "Fly into the Mystery" and "New England."

Most important, while Aerosmith is a generic, corporate rock band, the Modern Lovers present a unique, immediately-identifiable voice. The official Rock n' Roll song needs to cut through modern blandness. Indianapolis or Phoenix can have "Dream On," since it works as well there as here. Not Roadrunner: it can only be from Bosstown.

"Roadrunner" is the right choice: run with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Or:

The MM Bosstones' "They Came To Boston" 

UMass has its own permanent anthem thanks to the Pixies...and a better alma mater I can't think of, either....

UMASS tune is awesome...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

My 4th grade garage band sounded better.   They sound like the Cars, minus the talent.