Showgaze Documentary 'Beautiful Noise' premieres this spring (end of May)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Shoegaze Documentary 'Beautiful Noise' premieres this spring (end of May)

Speaking of musical cores / comfort zones -- I just saw that (as bad as this genre label is ... awful), this first ever "shoegazer" documentary traces the development of the genre that feels like 'home' to me,  and features top practitioners: My Bloody Valentine, the Jesus and Mary Chain (just mentioned in another thread), and the Cocteau Twins. 

The film will screen on May 31st and June 1st at the Seattle International Film Festival before heading to the Sheffield Doc Fest on June 8th and 9th. Under the familiar tagline "They didn't sell a lot of records, but everyone who heard them started a band," Beautiful Noise features interviews with My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields, Jim Reid from the Jesus and Mary Chain and Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie and Simon Raymonde, along with members of Ride, Slowdive, Lush, Catherine Wheel and Boo Radleys. There's also commentary from Wayne Coyne, Billy Corgan, Robert Smith and Trent Reznor, along with bootlegs and "previously unseen personal videos."

Director Eric Green and producer Sarah Ogletree launched the crowdfunding campaign for the film in November 2012 as they reached post-production after years of work on the film. They raised $84,740 from 1,511 backers in order to pay for the final licensing and distribution costs. "This is the first-ever documentary about one of the most influential music movements of the 20th century," they announced in the campaign."

As a tremendous fan of this genre, I have to agree, from what I know and have experienced, it truly is one of the most influential music movements.  Not sure a documentary can do it justice, but at least on the surface, looks like it will be worthwhile.  I wish all who were involved in making the film the best. 

"I am under no obligation to make sense to you."  Neil DeGrasse Tyson

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Showgaze Documentary 'Beautiful Noise' premieres this spring (end of May)

'Shoegaze' is a really bad attempt at a genre label, I agree.  As said in Spinal Tap, there's such a fine line between clever and stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Big fan of all the bands mentioned (as I've said before and the other thread) as well as the styles and influences they're responsible for.  I've referred to it as "glorious noise" in the past, so great minds must think alike.  :P

I'll be very interested to see the finished film.

Thanks for posting, yoga...!  :))

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

'Shoegaze' is a really bad attempt at a genre label, I agree.  As said in Spinal Tap, there's such a fine line between clever and stupid.

[/QUOTE

So true, and it's regretful because that label is so meaningless in the long run.  Maybe it was 'clever' at the time?  

All I know is that when we first discussed this music movement, I had always thought shoegazer was just an insider name, for those in the music industry.   Then I found out, it's _ just _ there. 

Not for nothing, there was every reason to distinguish it at the time, just wish it had been with a genre name that could withstand the test of time.  

Lousy genre name or not, the Jesus and Mary Chain are fantastic, for starters, which caused me to post the notification of this documentary in the first place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Big fan of all the bands mentioned (as I've said before and the other thread) as well as the styles and influences they're responsible for.  I've referred to it as "glorious noise" in the past, so great minds must think alike.  :P

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

[/QUOTE]

No problem, I am very impressed that these producers came up with the idea for a "first" in the way of spotlighting this music in a documentary, and via the interviews, will preserve the way it was 'born'.   I have a Lush CD thanks to Polar (too bad he isn't around as much these days), which I love, got pre-owned at Newbury Comics a while back (it was a steal); I owe so much further exposure to this genre to the forum, even though I had always been drawn to it in the past --  I had no idea how much there was and (still) is.  

Glorious noise would have been a great name for the doc, too ---right on the money.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:  

No problem, I am very impressed that these producers came up with the idea for a "first" in the way of spotlighting this music in a documentary, and via the interviews, will preserve the way it was 'born'.   I have a Lush CD thanks to Polar (too bad he isn't around as much these days), which I love, got pre-owned at Newbury Comics a while back (it was a steal); I owe so much further exposure to this genre to the forum, even though I had always been drawn to it in the past --  I had no idea how much there was and (still) is.  

Glorious noise would have been a great name for the doc, too ---right on the money.  :)   

[QUOTE]

Hey Yoga! What has happened to this place? Every time I check in, it seems there are big changes to the forums. Been here off/on since 05, and I believe this is edition number 4. Looks like many of the regulars have gone away, too bad. This was (is) a great place to share/talk, music, arts and anything else happening in the World. Hope you're well, and thank you for posting this thread. I had read something locally about the documentary a while back but missed it. I agree with Soxnut, that it is a terrible name for a musical genre, but when it comes to the above mentioned bands, its fitting. I think back to our conversations on Mazzy Star, and though many will disagree, I think that Hope Sandavol made "Shoegazing into art form."  If there is a music comfort zone out there for me, this is it.

btw I see that editing here is still diffiicult. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a Lush CD thanks to Polar (too bad he isn't around as much these days), which I love, got pre-owned at Newbury Comics a while back (it was a steal); I owe so much further exposure to this genre to the forum, even though I had always been drawn to it in the past --  I had no idea how much there was and (still) is.  

[QUOTE]

Hey Yoga! What has happened to this place? Every time I check in, it seems there are big changes to the forums. Been here off/on since 05, and I believe this is edition number 4. Looks like many of the regulars have gone away, too bad. This was (is) a great place to share/talk, music, arts and anything else happening in the World. Hope you're well, and thank you for posting this thread.

I had read something locally about the documentary a while back but missed it. I agree with Soxnut, that it is a terrible name for a musical genre, but when it comes to the above mentioned bands, its fitting. I think back to our conversations on Mazzy Star, and though many will disagree, I think that Hope Sandavol made "Shoegazing into art form."  If there is a music comfort zone out there for me, this is it.

btw I see that editing here is still diffiicult

[/QUOTE]

Polar, how's it going way out there in the western skies??   You should see what I just had to do to edit this thing to get rid of all that white space.  
    So funny, I forgot I mentioned you in this thread (re: Lush) and glad you were able to see it and post.   This is definitely BDC Forums Version 4, at least (we've been signed on here about the same number of years, amazing)  and seems to be the one that has zapped the life out of most of the forums. Of course, if we sat around insulting each other, name calling, telling each other to shut up and used sockpuppets, we would probably have more members still hanging around.  :)   Maybe we're too good at staying on topic, too.  :D

I would still like to see this documentary if it surfaces, and don't deny that Mazzy Star played a big role in this genre, even though it did evolve from the absolute worst name any genre could ever get stuck with.  

Hope you can get onto the forum once in a while.   We may be at a low ebb, but quantity has never hindered our ability to have some decent discussions, even though I certainly miss Zilla; his rants were incomparable.   New Hampshire isn't the same without you.   Take care.  :)