Simple question: Would you say personality and attitude is more important than a good singing voice for a frontman in rock?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Simple question: Would you say personality and attitude is more important than a good singing voice for a frontman in rock?

A comment yoga made in the Faces/Rod Stewart thread got me thinking....

...Nobody in their right mind is ever going to tell you that Mick Jagger, Ozzie, Johnny Rotten, Jimi Hendrix or Rod Stewart has a great, beautiful singing voice.

But these are not Opera singers. I feel a beautiful voice is actually not a plus for a Rock singer, most Rock music sounds better with a "raspy" , "gravelly" or otherwise unsensational voice. Joe Cocker made a career out of singing Rock favorites with a gravelly voice. Janis Joplin became a superstar with her rough sounding voice ( no doubt her tonsils were being destroyed by liquor and cigarettes...but that's another story, for another day). Neil Young's unsteady, cracking voice makes his music more poignant.

It has always been my opinion that attitude, personality and arrogance has always been a more important factor in a front man for a Rock band than the actual singing voice. As Rock is mainly derived from Blues and Folk music ( which without sounding disrespectful , of course , is music from the lower tiers of society) so actually sounds better sung by "average" or "rough,unpolished" voices.

Other examples:Bon Scott,Geddy Lee, Alice Cooper, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Steve Tyler, Peter Wolf, Bono.

In fact almost every Rock singer ever has been more about personality than voice, exceptions might include Freddie Mercury, David Bowie,Paul McCartney and Robert Plant...who had better singing voices than most of their peers.

Would you agree with this assessment?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Simple question: Would you say personality and attitude is more important than a good singing voice for a frontman in rock?

Most of the frontmen I admire the most were far from the best vocies but they had energy and passion. Joe Strummer, Shan MacGowan, Paul Westerberg, Jay Reatard, and Ian Curtis come to mind..Then there is Frank Black who has both..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Simple question: Would you say personality and attitude is more important than a good singing voice for a frontman in rock?

I started a thread way back about voices that were irritating and pleasing at the same time.  I've always found it interesting why certain voices which are not conventionally 'good' voices can have so much appeal.  I guess personality is as good a word as any.  There is a certain quality in a voice like Joe Cocker's that makes it sound good.  It's rough, but it has soul and character and individuality and power.

But this doesn't really answer the question of why a particular voice gives us pleasure.  Freddie Mercury and Paul McCartney's voices give me great pleasure, and so does Joe Cocker's.  But Bob Dylan's usually doesn't.  I don't know if all of this can be explained.  Some of it is just the wiring of my pleasure circuits, I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I would agree with Slim that Hendrix was somewhat underrated as a singer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think when you hear Hendrix sing a blues song ( and he did many) , you realize he is a Blues singer/guitarist that took it to the next level. And then he took it to a level even higher than that.

Some people hate his voice. I live with a person who loves Rod Stewart , can't listen to Hendrix...."what kind of music is that?"...this what I find myself having to answer frequently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

FTR - love Hendrix's voice. Also, I am in agreement with Zilla on the rough, raspy vocalist.

WDYWN makes a great point as to a singer fitting a band. Although I am of the belief that Freddie could have sang anything and anyway a song called for with any band. the thing with Freddie, like Bowie had everything covered.

I am interested to see what happens with Queensryche now that Geoff Tate (one of the great vocalists) is gone.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Are you kidding me, Hendrix was a terrible singer. He should have stuck to what he did well(play guitar) and had someone else do the singing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

ZILLAGOD wrote:     "It has always been my opinion that attitude, personality and arrogance has always been a more important factor in a front man for a Rock band than the actual singing voice. "

Now I understand why you like Dylan.  I have always gravitated towards the voice versus the band.  I consider the voice to be yet another instrument in the band, and it has to "fit" the band....Springsteen couldn't front AC/DC...I love a great voice but that's just me ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Are you kidding me, Hendrix was a terrible singer. He should have stuck to what he did well(play guitar) and had someone else do the singing.

Nah, he was fine.  And he didn't have to deal with the type of ego that lead singers usually have.  Hendrix was able to run his own show.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:

Least important thing would have to be their favorite breakfast cereal.....I mean, who cares? 

Since you "don't care" about our discussions here and can only offer nonfunny one liners, why don't you go haunt another forum?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to bellhorn_'s comment:

Least important thing would have to be their favorite breakfast cereal.....I mean, who cares?

Untrue.   Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.   Bellhorn must eat Fruit Loops.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why bellhorn has an axe to grind, either, and feel I am in good company with Zilla as to how "unfunny" the one-liners are.   

Okay, back to regularly scheduled topic ...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What I would like to know about this new forum format is:

Why does the tagline of the person you respond to appear on your post but your own tagline does not?

At least I am now able to go back and edit this out as I do not want bellhorn's tagline on my posts.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

What I would like to know about this new forum format is: Why does the tagline of the person you respond to appear on your post but your own tagline does not? At least I am now able to go back and edit this out as I do not want bellhorn's tagline on my posts. 

In seeing your comment, Zilla, I went into my profile for the first time since the debacle, and saw that there have been some changes.

When you respond as of NOW, if you don't want the other tagline in your response, edit it OUT; with the old format, it was automatically deleted from a respoinse ...

Now I just made myself a new tagline, so I'll see if it's there when I hit send.   

Nope, did not appear.  Unless you paste your tagline in, I don't know how it will appear.  

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts