Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence)

Sally Ride, brainiac physicist and the first American woman to make it to outer space died yesterday.   Today (per Google, see link) I saw that it's the 115th birthday of Amelia Earhart, the first aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. 

See the Google artwork today for Amelia:
    https://www.google.com/ 

Two legendary, gracious ladies of science who were daring, courageous, brilliant, understated, and inspirational. 

So let's hear it for Sally and Amelia.   Calling them trailblazers and pioneers doesn't seem adequate.  

Songs with Sally, Amelia, ride, space, sky, air, flying -- go for it -- just the way these two amazing women did.   :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence)

She's So High - Tal Bachman (Randy's son)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Supposedly Slaughter's "Fly To The Angel's was inspired by Amelia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmobha2krY

It is a beautiful song. The lyrics are framed on my office wall with a picture of a beautiful young lady who was taken from me by a deranged ex with a gun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ticket to Ride - The Beatles
    Gravity - Sara Bareilles  
    Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters

"And by the way, her handle was 'AmeliafromMeffa'"

Sure it was.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Learning to fly - Tom Petty 
    Time for me to fly -REO Speedwagon
    Fly robin fly - Silver Convention
    I want to fly away - Lenny Kravitz 
    Fly like an eagle -Steve Miller

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Fuel" - Ani DiFranco  &  "Amelia" - Joni Mitchell

Barely mentioned in the obit press for Sally is that not only was she the first woman in space but also the first LGBT american in space.  Even the NYT buried the lede!

That she led a very private life is partly beside the point but also the more reason to celebrate her achievements in full as the person she really was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence):
    [QUOTE]"Fuel" - Ani DiFranco  &  "Amelia" - Joni Mitchell Barely mentioned in the obit press for Sally is that not only was she the first woman in space but also the first LGBT american in space.  Even the NYT buried the lede! That she led a very private life is partly beside the point but also the more reason to celebrate her achievements in full as the person she really was.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

OMG, the song "Amelia" by Joni Mitchell.  That is one of the most beautiful songs, so exquisite, and I never even really listened to it before one of our threads re: Mitchell,  over the past year or so.   

I think Sally Ride's private life is a tribute to her understated brilliance, and I was so moved to see what a beautiful soul she was, just in seeing her obit.   And in one day, Matty, Wiki updated her bio to mention her status as the first lesbian astronaut, too.  So her low-profile life was just respected and that's something that's not easy to come by these days.   

But you know, she married a man first ... so she hadn't really come out when she was in NASA.   Even if Sally knew change was a comin ... :)   

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence) : I used to live around the corner from her house. 76 Brooks St, Meffa, MA 1. Start out going east on Gorham Rd toward Warren St . Zoom to this Step Avoid this Step 0.09 mi 2. Turn right onto Warren St . Zoom to this Step Avoid this Step 0.04 mi 3. Take the 1st left onto Madison St . Zoom to this Step Avoid this Step 0.09 mi 4. Turn left onto Brooks St . Zoom to this Step Avoid this Step 0.02 mi 5. 76 BROOKS ST is on the left .
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Greg, 
    Thank you ... I never knew this, and love knowing this now.   

I met someone from New Bedford a while back --- who told me to pronounce it, "newbeffa" and I thought WT ...?   But I've never said it any other way since, it's Newbeffa and Meffa, and if Meffa is good enough for Amelia, it's good enough for me.  :P    

(I used to get the creeps driving by Mary Baker Eddy's house in Chestnut Hill -- that was spooky to me as a kid)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence) : OMG, the song "Amelia" by Joni Mitchell.  That is one of the most beautiful songs, so exquisite, and I never even really listened to it before one of our threads re: Mitchell,  over the past year or so.    I think Sally Ride's private life is a tribute to her understated brilliance, and I was so moved to see what a beautiful soul she was, just in seeing her obit.   And in one day, Matty, Wiki updated her bio to mention her status as the first lesbian astronaut, too.  So her low-profile life was just respected and that's something that's not easy to come by these days.    But you know, she married a man first ... so she hadn't really come out when she was in NASA.   Even if Sally knew change was a comin ... :)   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I love that song, too.  It's the name of a dear friend who died many years ago, and I think about her every time I hear it.

I also love these lines from "Fuel"  (To me, Ani is this generation's Joni.):

"We got it rehashed
    We got it half-as(s)ed
    We're digging up all the graves
    And we're spitting on the past
    And you can choose between the colors
    Of the lipstick on the wh()res"

Kinda sums it up for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lost in the Stars by Kurt Weill 

"And we're lost out here in the stars,
    Little stars, big stars, blowing through the night,
    and we're lost out here in the stars."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Countdown by Rush

Lit up with anticipation
    We arrive at the launching site
    The sky is still dark, nearing dawn
    On the Florida coastline

Circling choppers slash the night
    With roving searchlight beams
    This magic day when super-science
    Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vPrrnb6tw

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

should have read: "first american woman in space"

My bad.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

The Final Countdown - Europe

Is Anybody Out There - Def Leppard

Rocket - Def Leppard

Apollo 9 - Adam Ant

Space Age Love Song - A Flock of Seagulls

Caught Somewhere In Time - Iron Maiden

Wheel In The Sky - Journey

Still They Ride - Journey

Walking on the Moon - The Police

Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves

Jet City Woman - Queensryche

Chasing Blue Sky - Queensryche

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence) : I like this house.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I know.   And people think the Mormons have i$$ues.   :D

Imagine electing a CS president -- talk about slashing the cost of healthcare. :)

MBE was another fascinating woman of science, faith, business, journalism, social activism and so much more.   Amazing.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE] The Final Countdown - Europe  Is Anybody Out There - Def Leppard  Rocket - Def Leppard  Apollo 9 - Adam Ant  Space Age Love Song - A Flock of Seagulls  Caught Somewhere In Time - Iron Maiden    Wheel In The Sky - Journey  Still They Ride - Journey  Walking on the Moon - The Police  Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves  Jet City Woman - Queensryche  Chasing Blue Sky - Queensryche   
    Posted by undead[/QUOTE]

NICE list.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence) : I know.   And people think the Mormons have i$$ues.   :D   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges, really.  The LDS is orders of magnitude bigger, richer, more influential and (dare I say) more dogmatic on public policy matters.

And yet metaphorically speaking, both are fruits.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Songs for two women of science: Sally and Amelia (no small coincidence) : Apples and oranges, really.  The LDS is orders of magnitude bigger, richer, more influential and (dare I say) more dogmatic on public policy matters. And yet metaphorically speaking, both are fruits.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

LDS is a juggernaut, no question, and in comparison, the CSers look like small potatoes (play on words intended); CSers fly under the radar, and their mother church has suffered in recent years (the once internationally prominent CS Monitor almost went belly-up or has at least reduced it's publication stream, I believe -- although they have a strong online presence), but they have contributions coming in hand over fist -- I only know this b/c I've known a few ex-members.    And they have hefty political ties, too, though not as great in number.  

To bring this back to music, I'm not sure, but I doubt there's ever been a Tony-award winning musical about the CS Church, either, so the Mormons have that one down, too.