Songs you sort of like, than learned to like, and vice versa.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Songs you sort of like, than learned to like, and vice versa.

We all are more or less subject to the whims of the radio programmers.

We all grew up listening to Rock and other popular styles of music on the radio ( maybe some from T.V., and of course these days. YOUTUBE).

When we got older and started getting a few bucks in our pockets, we ran to the record store and bought records, based on songs we heard on the radio.

To keep a long story short ( because I have a tendency to make long stories longer), Can you think of a number of songs ( or maybe just one song) that you heard and had to have, so you bought the album?...By the time I was in the workforce ( sometime in 1976) a portoin of my paycheck was left at the record store every week ( a little too much, some weeks)...many of these purchases were made because I heard a great song on radio and had to get it, by this time singles (45s) had become pricey enough to the point where spending $5 for a 10-12 song piece of vinyl was a better investment that spending $2 for a piece of vinyl with 2 songs on it.

Conversely, many songs that were "album tracks" never saw the light of day on radio, but I just love them and always have.

You know there's just way too many of these for me to list them all, but I'll hit the high points.

Songs I didn't really care for that I started to like later on ( the ones that grew on me):

Sunday, Bloody Sunday-U2

Your Smiling Face-James Taylor

What Is Love?- Howard Jones

Songs I used to really like , that I can't stand anymore ( the ones that went stale from being overplayed):

Hollywood Nights- Bob Seger

Go Your Own Way- Fleetwood Mac

Glory Days- Bruce Springsteen

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Songs you sort of like, than learned to like, and vice versa.

Hey Zilla, 45's not only do I rember them, I still have them. They started out at .50 cents, then .75 cents and I think I stopped buying them once they got up to $1.50-$1.75 each...purchased with my paper route money starting back in those ancient times of 1976-1977..LOL.  I agree with you, the money was better spent on the album versus the single. I seem to recall having purchased a number of albums for the hit single and hating the rest of the album in most cases.  The more I listened to the album/cassette (remember those? ha,ha) the more the artist/songs/music grew on me.  I'd like to offer examples, but I still feel that way today. A couple of examples are  the MORPHINE Greatest Hit compilation CD, or the newest Black Keys album - El Camino, I just play the CD a lot while in my car  and I learn to like them...in most cases.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

One of my alltime favorites, Neil Young had so many album tracks I never would have heard if I hadn't bought the albums. I never would have bought the albums if I had never heard of him. I heard of him because of the song 'Heart Of Gold' which was a huge hit.....but no where near my favorite Neil Young song. I think that distinction probably goes to 'Cortez The Killer.'

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One example that sticks out for me is CCR.  I didn't like Suzie Q or Proud Mary at first.  There was something about John Fogerty's voice, and the whole twangy down home country style, that rubbed me the wrong way.  I didn't buy any CCR albums until Cosmo's Factory.  That album converted me in a huge way and now I rate them as one of my alltime favorite bands.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I can think of a couple of albums I didn't like right away, but that really grew on me.

The Clash's first album just sounded like a bunch a noise to me at first. After repeated listenings, it came clear that it was a great pop album.

Funkadelic's first album hit me in a different way. It was a whole new type of music to me, but it slowly grew on me and I got into the great grooves on the album. It contains one of the coolest songs ever about getting along with your fellow man: :"I Got A Thing, You Got A Thing, Everybody's Got A Thing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxlITW2C_yc

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK, I'll say it.

Mandy - Barry Manilow

[/QUOTE]

I'd sooner admit to seeing the Bay City Rollers in concert!....Oh wait, I did.....(hangs his head in shame)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

I know this one seems out there but World Destruction by Afrikaa Bmbatta /John Lydon (Rotten)...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

OK, I'll say it.

Mandy - Barry Manilow

[/QUOTE]

Actually , as Barry Manilow songs go....and I don't really care for that stuff, Mandy is probably his best. Please tell me you hate that Copa- Cabana song or whatever it's called.

I would say that I also used to make fun of John Denver with a girl in my High School, she played guitar and was a big folkie. I wasn't much into Folk music in those days, more likely to be listening to Santana, Jefferson Airplane,Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby , Stills , Nash and Young... I didn't get much into Folk, Blues or Heavy Metal until after High School. But as time goes by I find the music of Jihn Denver to be relaxing and refreshingly different from most artists of his time. I still don't own any of his LPs, but I also won't change the station when they play his songs. I never should have made fun of him, he was a brilliant artist, although not a favorite I give him lots of credit.

"If you try to fail , and fail.....have you succeeded?"

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually , as Barry Manilow songs go....and I don't really care for that stuff, Mandy is probably his best. Please tell me you hate that Copa- Cabana song or whatever it's called.

--------------------------

Fear not, I hate Copa.  Mandy is just a plain good song.  Like him or not, he knew how to write a hit.  Interestingly, his biggest hit, I Write the Songs, he didn't.

[/QUOTE]

That's actually quite funny, that he didn't write that song. I seem to remember that , but like many things I used to know, it might be one of those trivial facts that slipped out through my ears while I was sleeping. When I forget something I tend to believe that it is not senility or old age, but rather than my brain is getting full and can't hold all the information. It makes me feel lots better about the fact that I am human and I do have memory lapses. I've already forgotten many trivial things, like the fourth grade....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Manilow also used to write and perform in some famous TV commercial jingles.He did"I am stuck on Band Aids,cause Band Aids stuck on me",McDonald's "You deserve a break today" and State Farm insurance "Like a good neighbor,Satae Farm is there".

I'm OK with Copacabana,but only once in a great while.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, I'll say it.

Mandy - Barry Manilow

[/QUOTE]

I would say that I also used to make fun of John Denver with a girl in my High School, she played guitar and was a big folkie. I wasn't much into Folk music in those days, more likely to be listening to Santana, Jefferson Airplane,Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby , Stills , Nash and Young... I didn't get much into Folk, Blues or Heavy Metal until after High School. But as time goes by I find the music of Jihn Denver to be relaxing and refreshingly different from most artists of his time. I still don't own any of his LPs, but I also won't change the station when they play his songs. I never should have made fun of him, he was a brilliant artist, although not a favorite I give him lots of credit.

"If you try to fail , and fail.....have you succeeded?"

[/QUOTE]

I hate Copacabana with a passion. Having said that, there are a few Barry Manilow songs that are very good, including "Weekend in New England," "Mandy," "Could It Be Magic," "Trying to Get the Feeling Again," "This One's for You," "Even Now," and "Somewhere In the Night."

As a kid of the 1970s, I was 10 to 13 when the above songs were hits, and I was still listening to AM-Top 40 (when not listing to sports) and I liked Manilow back then. My tastes changed and grew when I got into high school, and I went through a period when I couldn't stand him, but now I've come full circle. I'm not sure I could listen to his newer stuff, but I like those songs that I liked when I was a kid.

As far as the topic of this thread, I'd say "Freebird" stands out the most. Didn't really care for Skynyrd or Southern Rock at first but that changed -- partly because "Freebird" began to grow on me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Kind of realization  but sort of relates to the topic, but when i was younger i would always get CD's just to listen to one song" The It Song" If you will but now that ive grown up i almost always have to listen to the whole CD and on most of the CD's i get i like 90% of the album if not more. I have come to appreciate the whole album and not just one song.

Sections
Shortcuts