SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals

I thought instrumentals might be something different to do for the songs of the day.Therefore,I give you Funkadelic: Maggot Brain (Not the best name for a song IMO,but it's a pretty cool song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover - awesome

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Not quite 100% instrumental, but hopefully sufficient for the SOTD crowd...

ELO - Fire on High

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewaz0Fzewns

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Blue Jay Way," Beatles.
    "Jessica," Allman Bros.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals:
    If I'm going to listen to metal, I like to make up a playlist that kicks off with: Watch This (Live) -  Slash Bonzo's Montreaux - Zep.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

Slash still sounds great.I watched one of his concerts they had on the cable channel "Palladium" a couple of weeks ago.He rocked the place.
     I hope you check out the song Maggot Brain that I posted.If you like Pink Floyd/David Gilmour you'd like this song too I think.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Instrumental - Wilco  (outtake from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot):

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I can not let a thread on instrumentals go by without once again mentioning the final track on the "Blackmore's Rainbow" debut album. The instrumental version of the Yardbird's classic ,'Still I'm Sad.'

I swear I saw smoke coming off the turntable the first time I heard Ritchie Blackmore's scorching guitar on this musical blitzkrieg!!!

And if you are a fan of instrumentals, Joe Satriani should be top of the list...'Surfing With The Alien' and 'Crush Of Love' are highly recomended.

Santana has also produced a bunch of great instrumental tracks.

David Gilmour's 1st solo album is full of great instrumental guitar tracks.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One of the great jazz-rock hybrid songs of all-time:

Traffic - Glad

I'm especially partial to the live versions which combine "Glad" and "Freedom Rider" into a extended jam, but the former is the instrumental part.

Bonus: Led Zep - Bron-Yr-Aur

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

One of the great jazz-rock hybrid songs of all-time: Traffic - Glad I'm especially partial to the live versions which combine "Glad" and "Freedom Rider" into a extended jam, but the former is the instrumental part.
    Posted by MattyScornD

+1 ... I imprinted on this in HS when the Performing Arts teacher always used it for dancer warmups (I couldn't dance, but I could warm up!).  Too bad he always pulled the needle before the 2nd bar of Freedom Rider (those darn dancers!) Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

One of the great jazz-rock hybrid songs of all-time: Traffic - Glad I'm especially partial to the live versions which combine "Glad" and "Freedom Rider" into a extended jam, but the former is the instrumental part. Bonus: Led Zep - Bron-Yr-Aur
    Posted by MattyScornD

EXCELLENT call. Ashamed of myself for not immediately posting that one ... one of my favorites.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals : +1 ... I imprinted on this in HS when the Performing Arts teacher always used it for dancer warmups (I couldn't dance, but I could warm up!).  Too bad he always pulled the needle before the 2nd bar of Freedom Rider (those darn dancers!)
    Posted by gerbs

Makes sense, since it's heavy on the jazz, lots of intonation...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

So many songs I could pick, but I'm going with this one:

Classical Gas -- Mason Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9nl3T31wI

Interesting side note (which I knew before watching this clip -- honest!):  Mason Williams was a comedy writer on The Smothers' Brothers Comedy Hour, in addition to being a musician and composer.  Multitalented guy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Edgar Winter Group - Frankenstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEQZTzIYRXs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals:
    I thought instrumentals might be something different to do for the songs of the day.Therefore,I give you Funkadelic: Maggot Brain (Not the best name for a song IMO,but it's a pretty cool song) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Great choice. Awesome intrumental. One of the saddest instrumentals ever, no lyrics needed to convey the emotion.

My selection is more upbeat.

"Mumblin' Guitar" - Bo Diddley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfz9VfFOKQ

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

There are some great instrumentals you guys came up with.I like all kinds of instrumentals from Scott Joplin's ragtime music to Big Bands like Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller up to songs like Wipeout,Green Onions,Herbie Hancock's Rockit along with Allman Brother and Grateful Dead jams and a lot more.To me,an instrumental is universal,when done right,they can convey a message without a spoken word and be appreciated worldwide by people of all nationalities.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add:

The Who - Sparks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Raunchy - Bill Justis
    Juke - Little Walter

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Off the top of my head (ones I haven't seen listed yet):

Cissy Strut - The Meters
    Sunday Sermon - Booker T And the MGs
    Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz - The Black Crowes

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals : Slash still sounds great.I watched one of his concerts they had on the cable channel "Palladium" a couple of weeks ago.He rocked the place.  I hope you check out the song Maggot Brain that I posted.If you like Pink Floyd/David Gilmour you'd like this song too I think.
    Posted by mrmojo1120

The live version of Maggot Brain on One Nation Under a Groove (played by Michael Hampton) has always reminded me more of Pink Floyd than the original album version played by Eddie Hazel.  The Eddie Hazel version, though, is a real classic.  I love Funkadelic in general . . . really a great band that maybe isn't as well known (at least by white listeners) as it should be.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals : The live version of Maggot Brain on One Nation Under a Groove (played by Michael Hampton) has always reminded me more of Pink Floyd than the original album version played by Eddie Hazel.  The Eddie Hazel version, though, is a real classic.  I love Funkadelic in general . . . really a great band that maybe isn't as well known (at least by white listeners) as it should be.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I might agree that the live version by Michael Hampton may sound a little more like Floyd than the Eddie Hazel version.They're both great takes on the song.Sometimes my preference is the original studio version,because to me,it's just a cleaner,sharper sound.Other times,I prefer the Hampton version depending on my mood.You really can't go wrong with either one.
       I also agree that Funkadelic and it's variations are overlooked far too often.The album "Maggot Brain" was listed at #486 in Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time.I think it deserves much better than that.but I guess it's just a matter of taste. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: SOTD - 4/11 Instrumentals :    I might agree that the live version by Michael Hampton may sound a little more like Floyd than the Eddie Hazel version.They're both great takes on the song.Sometimes my preference is the original studio version,because to me,it's just a cleaner,sharper sound.Other times,I prefer the Hampton version depending on my mood.You really can't go wrong with either one.    I also agree that Funkadelic and it's variations are overlooked far too often.The album "Maggot Brain" was listed at #486 in Rolling Stones top 500 albums of all time.I think it deserves much better than that.but I guess it's just a matter of taste. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120

I love Funkadelic. Maggot Brain is a great album. I especially love Bernie Worrell's keyboard work on that album.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I can remember the titles, but The Who has a couple of instrumental tracks on Quadrephenia that kick butt.

Sections
Shortcuts