'Southern Rock' & (some) 'Country Music'

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: 'Southern Rock' & (some) 'Country Music'

My list of Southern Rock bands that I really enjoy is long....but I'll list a few:

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Outlaws

Allman Bros.

.38 Special

Marshall Tucker Band

Charlie Daniels Band

Blackfoot

ZZTop

As far as country artists , the list a lot shorter.

I liked Johnny Cash, some Willie Nelson, a little Waylon Jennings, some Tanya Tucker ,early Linda Ronstadt, Roger Miller and a few select songs from various others ( I always liked that song by Bobbie Gentry about Billie Joe McCallister jumping off the Tallahachee bridge).

To me way too much modern country music sounds the same. The subject matter is not diverse enough. Southern Rock ran it's course in the 70's and 80's because it seems to have peaked and dropped off when the two greatest bands lost too many members to death ( Allman Bros. and Lynyrd Skynyrd) , no Southern Rock band seemed popular enough to carry the torch left behind when Lynyrd Skynyrd (who just emerging as the "Beatles" of this genre) suffered it's terrible loss from which they never fully recovered ,Ronnie Van Zandt was the heart and soul of Skynyrd and they were never the same without him.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll give you an under-the-radar Southern rock band.  They were called Point Blank.  Not a great band by any stretch, but a lot of their songs are well worth checking out, especially albums like 'Airplay' and 'The Hard Way'.  They had two lead guitarists and there is some very tasty guitarwork on a lot of their songs.  On 'The Hard Way' album you will even find a live version of Deep Purple's 'Highway Star' which is very enjoyable.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I generally limit my interest here to a few different pseudo sub-genres:

western-folk-country-rock (byrds, gram parsons, neil young, jayhawks, etc....)

bluegrass revival-roots-jam-rock (grateful dead, new riders, union station, railroad earth, wilco, etc....)

southern-country-blues-jam rock (allmans, little feat, black crowes...)

I pretty much avoid most 'straight' country and pop-country acts, but there are always exceptions.  I still love me some Willie, Johnny, Emmylou, Hank Sr., and so on, but country music always worked better for me as an inflection into other music than a genre unto itself.

The folk-rock-country-roots connection is usually my first stop toward the overall country genre.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts