Speaking of "rock stars" (I can't deal with this)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Speaking of "rock stars" (I can't deal with this)

The media needs to stop.   This cannot persist.   When will it end??   :)

POPE FRANCIS ROCKS ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE COVER

"Never has a pope had so much in common with a rock star."   (this makes sense how?)

"Pope Francis, who is known for his independent streak and for captivating crowds, has landed the February 2014 cover of Rolling Stone magazine."

“The times they are a-changin’ at the Vatican,” Rolling Stone declared in the headline, offering a look “inside the Pope’s gentle revolution.”

Since his election last March, Pope Francis, 77, has emerged as an endearing figure known for his humility and desire to build a more inclusive church.

Eager to focus less on divisive social issues such as abortion, Francis describes his church as “a field hospital after a battle” in which he must minister to everyone."

All aspects of the Pope aside  ... but really, what about him resembles a rock star??  Does he show up 3-hours late for a "gig" ???

The Pope doesn't have visibility just for being the Pope?    No, he's a hipster.  

I mean, Steve Earle isn't a rock star but the Pope is??   Cool  

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/01/pope-francis-rocks-rolling-stone-magazine-cover/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Speaking of

The pope is the third from the left ( or right) in the middle picture.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

The media needs to stop.   This cannot persist.   When will it end??   :)

POPE FRANCIS ROCKS ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE COVER

"Never has a pope had so much in common with a rock star."   (this makes sense how?)

"Pope Francis, who is known for his independent streak and for captivating crowds, has landed the February 2014 cover of Rolling Stone magazine."

“The times they are a-changin’ at the Vatican,” Rolling Stone declared in the headline, offering a look “inside the Pope’s gentle revolution.”

Since his election last March, Pope Francis, 77, has emerged as an endearing figure known for his humility and desire to build a more inclusive church.

Eager to focus less on divisive social issues such as abortion, Francis describes his church as “a field hospital after a battle” in which he must minister to everyone."

All aspects of the Pope aside  ... but really, what about him resembles a rock star??  Does he show up 3-hours late for a "gig" ???

The Pope doesn't have visibility just for being the Pope?    No, he's a hipster.  

I mean, Steve Earle isn't a rock star but the Pope is??   Cool  

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/01/pope-francis-rocks-rolling-stone-magazine-cover/

Well, I did read that attendance at the pope's weekly public audience in st. peter's square has risen substantially since he was elected last March...

...totaling 6.6 million in 2013.

However, this is the same magazine that put a suspected bomber on the cover, so....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

The pope is the third from the left ( or right) in the middle picture.

Great publicity photo.   Black is very flattering (and slenderizing) for the Pope. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

I have to agree with where Matty seems to be going: Just a lazy/crappy magazine's way of saying "a lot more people seem to like this pope than liked the previous popes..."

Well, at least until he starts getting loaded ten ways from sunday, blowing up hotel doors, and passing out in the middle of Mass... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

I have to agree with where Matty seems to be going: Just a lazy/crappy magazine's way of saying "a lot more people seem to like this pope than liked the previous popes..."

Well, at least until he starts getting loaded ten ways from sunday, blowing up hotel doors, and passing out in the middle of Mass... 

I smell a late night comedy parody in the making....

[I know..."The Bishop" already went there...]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Well, I did read that attendance at the pope's weekly public audience in st. peter's square has risen substantially since he was elected last March...

However, this is the same magazine that put a suspected bomber on the cover, so....

Glad he's bringing in the crowds, but crowds gather all over the world for sports events, too.  

Why not compare the pope to, oh, I don't know, an Olympic gold medalist? 

Or how about ... comparing him to NO ONE?!    What a concept.  

How about reversing the roles:

Never has a rock star had so much in common with a Pope.   ??  

(as for RS, they have clearly come up with a formula ...)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I smell a late night comedy parody in the making....

There you go.    

Yes, it is a lazy way of saying the Pope is popular.  But it's tiresome and in reality, makes no sense to boot.  

I mean, do you tell your kid he's a rock star for ... finishing his broccoli?   High five!    (when I was a kid, my family would just leave the table - and I'd sit there alone -- no one was telling me I was a ballerina if I finished my food.)   :D

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

The only question remaining is whether he's bigger than Jesus...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Glad he's bringing in the crowds, but crowds gather all over the world for sports events, too.  

Why not compare the pope to, oh, I don't know, an Olympic gold medalist? 

Or how about ... comparing him to NO ONE?!    What a concept.  

How about reversing the roles:

Never has a rock star had so much in common with a Pope.   ??  

(as for RS, they have clearly come up with a formula ...)

Well, it sounds like abc news is guilty in this case of conflating pope->rolling stone->rock star...

...which says a lot more about abcnews' banality than RS', IMO.  

More lazy journalism...can't find our own story, so let's report what other media outlets are reporting.

Sports events draw crowds, but I don't think individual athletes do. (Tiger Woods?)

And historians/theologians might say pontiffs were celebrities before being a celebrity was cool.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Our world is now loaded with celebrities.

Thanks to technology we have celebrities you've never heard of. These are some I have never heard of ( until today): Brooklyn Decker,Shay Mitchell,Peter Facinelli, Kendrick Lamar, Alessandra Ambrosio. Celebrities????...nobody told me.

However, the Pope is always THE POPE. He is replaced by another Pope, but he is like Batman or the Joker...when he dies, someone else assumes the role. (this doesn't have to happen with Batman).

I also recall how the media referred to Obama as a "Rock Star."

I also read where Paganini was the first "Rock Star."

My question is can a person who doesn't play or sing ROCK MUSIC be a ROCK STAR?

How does this term come to exist??? Weren't MOVIE STARS , a big deal way before Rock existed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

What absolutely infuriates me more then anything is when a Media person refers to a politician as a "Rock Star" of their political party.

Every time I hear Candy Crowley use that term I want to jump through the TV screen and go all Chimpanzee on her face. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Rock Star" is just another meaningless appellation that has entered into the English lexicon of vapid and empty cliches. Hell, there's even a drink named Rockstar.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

"Rock Star" is just another meaningless appellation that has entered into the English lexicon of vapid and empty cliches. Hell, there's even a drink named Rockstar.

Exactly.  Thank you.

When the term is used to sell over-sugared water to dizzy teens, all life from it has been drained.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Because the vocabulary we use continues to evolve (or devolve ... :))  we have no control over the usage of language that used to really mean something special, and/or have an impact.

I only posted this for fun for the mostpart, but can't deny that it irks me in the big picture.    In my own profession,  some of the specialized lingo / nomenclature has hit the mainstream to the extent it's a point of discussion on the listserv I'm on.    Otherwise, I like the fact that my world is a bit esoteric and "outsiders" have no idea what we're talking about.   In fact, it's fun. 

I am surprised Zilla didn't say this, but the only other "rock stars" are geologists and astronomers.   :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Exactly.  Thank you.

When the term is used to sell over-sugared water to dizzy teens, all life from it has been drained.

This is why I think it's incumbent on intelligent people like ourselves to ignore, tune out, dismiss and devalue such junk.  My wife will ask me if I've heard about such-and-such a thing, and I'll tell her no, I have no interest in it and in fact I am aggressively indifferent to it.  Maybe not in those exact words. Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Exactly.  Thank you.

This is why I think it's incumbent on intelligent people like ourselves to ignore, tune out, dismiss and devalue such junk.  My wife will ask me if I've heard about such-and-such a thing, and I'll tell her no, I have no interest in it and in fact I am aggressively indifferent to it.  Maybe not in those exact words. Smile

Well, not to be sanctimonious, but I can honestly say that I don't know even a fraction of he people most people know of, let alone, discuss in day to day life.

I never even knew the Kardashian's had a reality show until a year or two ago.  I never even knew why they were "famous" ... I've never even watched "The View" for more than about 10 minutes.   I could go on.  I mean this, I am so out of the loop.  :)

As for ignoring this sort of thing entirely -- I can tell you how I've done it: my eyes glaze over when I see names like Cyrus, Bieber, Lohan, etc.   Just don't read it.  Save your brain cells.  I don't have any to spare, I don't know about anyone else.  :)

As for how I speak, I talk like a New Age freak.  

PS  I did speed read the RS article and it's nothing revelatory.   They did mention the Pope's weight (he looks more "stout in person); that he's "stylish"  (his robes are well-fashioned), and that he's like Bill Clinton b/c he likes to be in personal contact with people.

Other than that, it's just an overview of his life.   Also, mostly people of modest means are going to see this Pope, and therefore, according to vendors, they are not making as much money as they did with the current Pope's predecessor. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Exactly.  Thank you.

BTW, this must mean you won't be watching the Sports Illustrated swimsuit anniversary, "50 Years of Beautiful" ; good for you.  Cool   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, not to be sanctimonious, but I can honestly say that I don't know even a fraction of he people most people know of, let alone, discuss in day to day life.

I never even knew the Kardashian's had a reality show until a year or two ago.  I never even knew why they were "famous" ... I've never even watched "The View" for more than about 10 minutes.   I could go on.  I mean this, I am so out of the loop.  :)

As for ignoring this sort of thing entirely -- I can tell you how I've done it: my eyes glaze over when I see names like Cyrus, Bieber, Lohan, etc.   Just don't read it.  Save your brain cells.  I don't have any to spare, I don't know about anyone else.  :)

Exactly what I mean. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BTW, this must mean you won't be watching the Sports Illustrated swimsuit anniversary, "50 Years of Beautiful" ; good for you.  Cool   

You may be skeptical of this, but for me the magic of those SI swimsuit issues is long gone.  In the early days it was pretty hot stuff.  But now it has gone to overkill and beyond.  When you go on the SI website you're bombarded with images of the swimsuit girls at the bottom of the page.  It's a little weird, really, for a sports magazine to be indulging in this stuff to the level they do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ignoring Pop Culture is all well and good, and in general, the overwhelming majority of Pop Culture is glorified garbage. That the Pope becomes part of Pop Culture by being tagged a "Rock Star" , well, that is just hilarious and could be great material for a cartoon or Comedy act.

Perhaps he is the biggest part of "Pope Culture" and someone just left off the "E?"

With this in mind here are some "Rock Stars" from the past that could be reworked:

Buzz Aldrin- "Rocket" Star.

Any dancer from Radio City Music Hall- "Rockette Star."

Your grandmother- "Rocker Star."

Son Of Sam killer Berkowitz- "Off His Rocker" Star.

Sylvester Stallone- "Rocky" Star.

The squirrel who was Bullwinkle's pal- also, "Rocky" Star.

The Denver Broncos- "Rocked" Stars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Exactly.  Thank you.

I would agree...

...only with the caveat that it doesn't hurt to try and explain WHY some of these issues should be devalued and dismissed with a bit of clarity and the understanding that many will disagree for their own reasons.

Some people you just can't reach, but I strive to be diplomatic about it and not sound (too much) like an elitist snob.

And yes, sometimes we just need to chuckle softly, shake our heads and go about our business.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You may be skeptical of this, but for me the magic of those SI swimsuit issues is long gone.  In the early days it was pretty hot stuff.  But now it has gone to overkill and beyond.  When you go on the SI website you're bombarded with images of the swimsuit girls at the bottom of the page.  It's a little weird, really, for a sports magazine to be indulging in this stuff to the level they do.

You know why they do it. So does everyone else. 

Sales.

They would show a naked Kim Kardashian as the centerfold if they could....they don't care about sports anymore.....slick pictures sells, baby!!!

My friend at work gets a subscription, passes them along to me ( not the swimsuit issue...wonder why?...) , the magazine is 90% ads and glossy pictures, you could "read" the damn thing from cover to cover (not that you'd want to...unless you are counting nonsense like UFC fighting as a "sport") in about a half an hour.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

You know why they do it. So does everyone else. 

Sales.

They would show a naked Kim Kardashian as the centerfold if they could....they don't care about sports anymore.....slick pictures sells, baby!!!

My friend at work gets a subscription, passes them along to me ( not the swimsuit issue...wonder why?...) , the magazine is 90% ads and glossy pictures, you could "read" the damn thing from cover to cover (not that you'd want to...unless you are counting nonsense like UFC fighting as a "sport") in about a half an hour.

More good points.

These (and others) speak far more to the "death of print journalism" than the internet itself.

Sections
Shortcuts