Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum?

Yes , as a long time Star Trek fan , I saw the parallel between Chekov and Davey Jones.

Did you also know that David Jones (A.K.A. Bowie) changed his last name to Bowie so he would have to share the same name with a huge celebrity also in the music biz?

The Monkees were a big phenomenon in the late 60's. They had bubblegum cards, comic books, a cartoon , dolls, colorforms, you name it.

This was actually very cool stuff for kids (like me) who were hungry for more and more of Beatles-like stuff.

The music to us was not faked, it was not a put-on. But later, when I found it was...well I was an adult and able to handle this. I love many of the songs, and don't really care whether it was them or a studio band. I never really took them seriously as adult music or as a rock influence. The music , whoever was playing it, was really quite good though....and I still listen to 'Last Train to Clarksville , 'Not Your Steppin' Stone' and others.

They were okay in my book, just not up there with the Yardbirds, Beatles and Stones when it comes to real influences on the music.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Back in the day, a lot of of young girls would go down the basement or in the garage and hold their Monkeys/Beatle clubs.  They would play their vinyl discs on portable record players.  Meanwhile a lot of us young guys pretended to hate Presley/Monkees/Beatles even though we secretly thought they were great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'll admit it: I loved the Monkees and still like many of their tunes. Mike Nesmith is a very talented musician. Davey was a showman, Mickey the clown, Peter the ... what was Peter again?

Have always loved "Daydream Believer," which sometimes appears on my iPod between Springsteen and Pearl Jam on shuffle. (That leads to interesting comments). "Pleasant Valley Sunday," "Last Train to Clarksville," "Steppin' Stone," ... all neat songs.

Their show was ahead of its time, really. Go back and watch them and you'll see how truly funny they were. (Just like few seem to grasp what a terrific comedy "Hard Day's Night" actually is).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum?:
    [QUOTE]Back in the day, a lot of of young girls would go down the basement or in the garage and hold their Monkeys/Beatle clubs.  They would play their vinyl discs on portable record players.  Meanwhile a lot of us young guys pretended to hate Presley/Monkees/Beatles even though we secretly thought they were great.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]
    Good post LloydDobler.  But I admit when I got older I got rid of my jealous attitude and I liked Presley, the Monkees and the Beatles.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum?:
    [QUOTE] These guys, though manufactured for TV, hung out with the likes of the Beatles, Hendrix, Eric Clapton, CS&N (Tork lived with Stills.  Stills was ugly.  He got Tork the gig), and The Who.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

The way I heard it, the producers actually wanted Stills in the band, but he had bad teeth and was not telegenic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Hmmm...it's almost as if the semi-artificial engineering of a rock band's success as a method toward record sales has never occurred to anyone before or since....

Perish the thought...!!

</sarc off/>

Personally, I could appreciate a re-hash of the monkees show formula, perhaps with the gallagher bros. or the ever affable dave grohl.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : The way I heard it, the producers actually wanted Stills in the band, but he had bad teeth and was not telegenic.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

This ( whether he would admit it or not) was probably the best thing that could have happened to Stephen Stills.

Can you imagine him never writing songs like '4 and 20' (I don't think this would fit with the Monkees style) , singing with Neil Young on political songs like 'Ohio' or with Nash on songs like 'Chicago', can you imagine what Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young would have been without the songs of Stills? Had he played a clown ( Tork was mostly there for comedy relief, he couldn't really play very weLl or sing) on a network comedy show about a pop-rock band with a really cool car, could he have been taken seriously later on?

I mean the Monkees weren't at Woodstock , never jammed with members of the Airplane or the Dead in the Haight-Ashbury. Their songs were pop-rock ( very good , though) but not the rebelious folk rock of Southern California hippies, not ahead of it's time like CSN but sort of retro....Crosby and Nash without Stills? It would have been a travesty! Stills was the best songwriter of the 3, the best musician ( see Manassas, Buffalo Springfield).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Heh.  Reminds me of the Teri Garr character in After Hours...a 'devoted' monkees fan more obsessed and creepy than any deadhead I've ever seen (though perhaps on a par with some parrotheads)....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : This ( whether he would admit it or not) was probably the best thing that could have happened to Stephen Stills. Can you imagine him never writing songs like '4 and 20' (I don't think this would fit with the Monkees style) , singing with Neil Young on political songs like 'Ohio' or with Nash on songs like 'Chicago', can you imagine what Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young would have been without the songs of Stills? Had he played a clown ( Tork was mostly there for comedy relief, he couldn't really play very weLl or sing) on a network comedy show about a pop-rock band with a really cool car, could he have been taken seriously later on? I mean the Monkees weren't at Woodstock , never jammed with members of the Airplane or the Dead in the Haight-Ashbury. Their songs were pop-rock ( very good , though) but not the rebelious folk rock of Southern California hippies, not ahead of it's time like CSN but sort of retro....Crosby and Nash without Stills? It would have been a travesty! Stills was the best songwriter of the 3, the best musician ( see Manassas, Buffalo Springfield).
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    ZILLAGOD, Thank You for correcting my errant thinking.  For the last 42 years I have thought the Monkees perfomed at Woodstock. .......... LOL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Heh.  Reminds me of the Teri Garr character in After Hours ...a 'devoted' monkees fan more obsessed and creepy than any deadhead I've ever seen (though perhaps on a par with some parrotheads)....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

She had some issues with sales tax calculations too as I recall...that was a weird movie, mostly in a good way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : She had some issues with sales tax calculations too as I recall...that was a weird movie, mostly in a good way.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

By far one of the best of the 80s, IMO, and a stellar example of "black comedy".

Underrated and a phenomenal cast...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Greg,
    Does this make the Partridge Family a legitimate band as well?  David Cassidy got a career out of the deal.  Wasn't Shirley Jones an actress and broadway musical star as well?  Not exactly a no-name, you know. 

Some 'luv' for them, too?  Fair is fair.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : Well, lets face it, when you think of Woodstock, you think of Hendrix, and Jimi OPENED for the Monkees.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]
    LOL! ................. You got me going now.  Theoretically, Hendrix could have opened somewhere for the Monkees.  I have my doubts.  Did he?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Greg, Does this make the Partridge Family a legitimate band as well?  David Cassidy got a career out of the deal.  Wasn't Shirley Jones an actress and broadway musical star as well?  Not exactly a no-name, you know.  Some 'luv' for them, too?  Fair is fair.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

legitimately bad, maybe...

...certainly worse than josie & the pussycats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : legitimately bad, maybe... ...certainly worse than josie & the pussycats.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Josie and the Pussycats.  Great name.  Is there really a band out there with that name?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : Josie and the Pussycats.  Great name.  Is there really a band out there with that name?

It was an old cartoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX28LD0MiFU

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : Josie and the Pussycats.  Great name.  Is there really a band out there with that name?
    Pretty awful.  But hey, it was another show that had featured a made-up band. 
    In one way or another, they had more then their 15 minutes of fame, too, whether they deserved it or not.
    Laughing

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nilrem70. Show nilrem70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : Pretty awful.  But hey, it was another show that had featured a made-up band.  In one way or another, they had more then their 15 minutes of fame, too, whether they deserved it or not.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

How could all of you miss the fact that Josie and The Pussycats made a movie with a soundtrack and Kay Hanley was Josie on the record but not the actress in the movie!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Speaking of The Monkees - Bubblegum? : How could all of you miss the fact that Josie and The Pussycats made a movie with a soundtrack and Kay Hanley was Josie on the record but not the actress in the movie!
    Posted by nilrem70[/QUOTE]

Bully for the talented Ms. Hanley, but that's neither here nor there...

...sincere apologies to those "Jem" fans out there, too.

25. This post has been removed.