Status Quo: "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was just the start -- they've been "Rockin All Over the World" ever since

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Status Quo: "Pictu...

Is the UK-based Status Quo a household name among rock fans in the USA?   Can a band with a 40-plus year history in RnR be omitted from conversations on rock music?   Is this a band you ever followed, one with which you are familiar, or even a band you've perhaps made a mainstay in your music listening or collection?

What's goin' on here?  You see a band with a list of LPs a mile long, over the course of a long-standing history and impressive resume, more hit /chart singles than any other band in the UK's history, tours all over the world, were the opening act for Live Aid (1985), and noted as the band that put "Rockin' All Over the World" in every rock fans ears and made it famous, moreso than John Fogarty ever did  --- but never made a particularly big splash in the USA as they did in their homeland, the United Kingdom, across mainland Europe, along with garnering a huge fan base in the Netherlands.  

Were they never as visible or popular in North America as let's say, the Scorpions, who were also a non-USA based rock band, with a similar history?   

Any thoughts on Status Quo?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Status Quo: "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was just the start -- they've been "Rockin All Over the World&quo...

I like that song, and I vaguely remember the live aid performance.

For some reason, I always associate it with Strawberry Alarm Clock's "Incense & Peppermints"...

...classic psychedelic rock...but only a one-bong-hit-wonder in the US, if you will....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Status Quo: "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was just the start -- they've been "Rockin All Over the World&quo...

I have a couple of compilations CDs from Status Quo. They are imports as you never had a chance in hell of finding much of anything by them in a southern New England record store.

The fact that they were so huge in England, and also I remember 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' from the psychedelic era when I was a young kid,  prompted me to check these out.

I was kind of surprised that most of their music is not psychedelic like the one hit song.

You know, they are a good band, but it's an acquired taste. You'd probably not listen to them a lot, but I do like the music.

There are a few artists like this who are big in Europe or Japan, but can't get much of a sniff from U.S. rockfans. I suppose it's all about promotion and exposure.

As I understand it, the Ventures enjoyed a brief moment of glory in the U.S. around the mid sixties then went on to be huge in Japan. Dr. Feelgood , another excellent group , was never as popular here as in Europe.

I think it has much to do about how aggressively the manager and promoter pursues the market. Rory Gallagher is a huge talent and every rockfan I have introduced Gallagher's music to really loves it. Gallagher had a good concert following , but his albums never sold well in U.S., perhaps not being a "singles" artist had an effect on album sales.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I always thought the song was attributed to a band that had a one-hit wonder, too.   That's why it was such a surprise to see that the band has had a record-breaking number of hits (not that quantity trumps quality, but it has to indicate something about the popularity of the band, at least in terms of arena rock).   Back in their early days, they were psychedelic rockers.   

From the one major USA hit / one-song standpoint, it does have a similar sound as the Strawberry Alarm Clock song.   Still, why is the Strawberry Alarm Clock such a familiar name, while Status Quo remained so unknown -- (again, at least stateside).   Quirky.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Strawberry Alarm Clock is a one hit wonder band.

Ask anyone you know to name another song by them.

People sometimes confuse "one hit wonder" with "short career."

This is not always the case, some groups have survived years as "no hit wonders."

Heavy Metal band Impelliterri , never have had a "hit" to my knowledge. They have recorded many LPs from the early 90s on. I have many of them (all Japanese imports). Chris Impelliterri is from Connecticut, I believe, his band has had more success in Japan than in the U.S. He is a top notch Metal guitarist in the style of Yngwie Malmsteen. You'd know nothing about Impelliterri if you depended on U.S. radio stations or U.S. record stores. I heard about him from a young man who actually took guitar lessons from Chris.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Status Quo: "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was just the start -- they've been "Rockin All Over the World" ever since:
    [QUOTE]I have a couple of compilations CDs from Status Quo. They are imports as you never had a chance in hell of finding much of anything by them in a southern New England record store. The fact that they were so huge in England, and also I remember 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' from the psychedelic era when I was a young kid,  prompted me to check these out. I was kind of surprised that most of their music is not psychedelic like the one hit song. You know, they are a good band, but it's an acquired taste. You'd probably not listen to them a lot, but I do like the music. There are a few artists like this who are big in Europe or Japan, but can't get much of a sniff from U.S. rockfans. I suppose it's all about promotion and exposure. As I understand it, the Ventures enjoyed a brief moment of glory in the U.S. around the mid sixties then went on to be huge in Japan. Dr. Feelgood , another excellent group , was never as popular here as in Europe. I think it has much to do about how aggressively the manager and promoter pursues the market. Rory Gallagher is a huge talent and every rockfan I have introduced Gallagher's music to really loves it. Gallagher had a good concert following , but his albums never sold well in U.S., perhaps not being a "singles" artist had an effect on album sales.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Zilla-- your points re: promoting and marketing make perfect sense.  In fact, with the recent death of Dick Clark, it also makes one realize how much an appearance on AB was worth more than money could buy in the way of exposure.    Nonetheless, Status Quo seems to be going strong, so after 40 plus years in the music industry making records and touring, they don't seem to be hurting for lack of ever making a name for themselves in the US.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I had a 45 by Status Quo called 'Ice in the Sun'.  Very catchy song, I played it over and over. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Status Quo: "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was just the start -- they've been "Rockin All Over the World" ever since:
    [QUOTE]I had a 45 by Status Quo called 'Ice in the Sun'.  Very catchy song, I played it over and over. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

That was one of their many hit singles --  back in their early days, they did have hits in the US and Canada.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I had a 45 by Status Quo called 'Ice in the Sun'.  Very catchy song, I played it over and over. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I don't recall that song being such a big hit on radio , back in the old days. But, when I bought my first Status Quo CD, I recall that it was one of the best songs on the disc.