1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Steve Earle / Tom Petty

Steve Earle and Tom Petty:

Same sentence?

Same paragraph?

Same page?

Same chapter?

Same book?  

Any thoughts on the two?    Tom Petty would not be likely to open for Steve Earle, but that isn't really relevant to the question re: the two.   Or is it?   

ALSO:

Is there a famous cover version of "Someday" ?  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Steve Earle / Tom Petty

A couple of hardcore troubadours to be sure.  I think Petty is a bit more in the realm of folk-rock and Earle in the realm of country-rock.  They're both incredibly versatile and eclectic...they can each do rock, blues, country, folk with equal success.

Two of the very best American artists IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't get your premise.  Steve Earle can't hold Petty's pen, paper or guitar case and I like Steve Earle.

I don't even get the connection.  

?

[/QUOTE]

Well, if there's no connection, then that's the way you see it.   That's your response.   If Petty is that far up the food chain for you, that's your answer.   You don't put the two on the same page.  

I'll edit the OP to clarify, if that helps. 

It was late when I started the thread (maybe I should have waited until this morning, oh well), but in light of Pete Seeger's death I was thinking of American rock musicians, not to compare them to Seeger and his legacy by any means, but in simple terms of heritage and what they've delivered to their fans.    Just interested, also, to see who is into one, but not the other.   

It's obvious that Petty has the higher profile and status, but that has nothing to do with taste or with an experience based on concert attendance. 

It's not as though I asked, "Kid Rock or Bob Dylan?", you know.   Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

One is a little bit country, the other is a little bit rock n' roll...?

Earle also has the whole NOLA connection that Petty - a true rocker of high regard - never really had.

I like both very much, but I agree with DA2, Petty is a planet in his own right, while Earle is more of a moon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Are you trying to say Kid Rock is not as good as Bob Dylan?

Next thing you know, I'll be hearing how Jimi Hendrix is no Mick Mars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I can't comment on this as I know nothing and own nothing by Steve Earle. Tom Petty is a big favorite of mine. Now I must recuse myself.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've always thought Earle was somewhat underrated, especially as a writer.  If you listen to albums like Guitar Town, Copperhead Road, and The Hard Way, they are very strong and diverse collections of songs.  I think commercially speaking, his diversity has worked against him a bit, because nobody knows what slot to put him in.  He did a bluegrass album called 'The Mountain' which I've haven't heard, but I have heard great things about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, I am saying they do have one thing in common: they both wear hats.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate. 

Now admit it, that is more than Tom Petty and Steve Earle have in common, according to the input in this thread.  :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now admit it, that is more than Tom Petty and Steve Earle have in common, according to the input in this thread.  :D

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that.  Both Petty and Earle fall somewhat into the "roots" category of musicians and are highly collaborative in nature.

But Petty is a rock star.  Steve Earle is not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, if there's no connection, then that's the way you see it.   That's your response.   If Petty is that far up the food chain for you, that's your answer.   You don't put the two on the same page.  

I'll edit the OP to clarify, if that helps. 

It was late when I started the thread (maybe I should have waited until this morning, oh well), but in light of Pete Seeger's death I was thinking of American rock musicians, not to compare them to Seeger and his legacy by any means, but in simple terms of heritage and what they've delivered to their fans.    Just interested, also, to see who is into one, but not the other.   

It's obvious that Petty has the higher profile and status, but that has nothing to do with taste or with an experience based on concert attendance. 

It's not as though I asked, "Kid Rock or Bob Dylan?", you know.   Laughing

[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I guess I was just confused what parallel you were going for with the two.

I would put Neil Young and Petty together if you are trying to compare singer/songwriter renegade types.

Neil is probably more respected across the board than Petty I think, mostly due to age, but I don't get the Earle thing.

Earle is a good songwriter, but he's not Petty in that regard. Also, the longevity and consistency, not to mention the backing band Petty had around him, the live playing, chemistry, etc, is something Earle has never really put forward.  Petty be known as Petty, but the Heartbreakers, mostly Campbell on lead and Tench on keys are vital, vital parts of how Petty's music comes across.

Meanwhile, it's really all Earle on stage/in the studio to me.

I look at Steve Earle and see maybe a Merle Haggardd/Townes Van Zandt kind of thing. Texas country/rock stuff. Maybe even a JJ Cale makes some sense to compare. Haggard and Cale from Oklahoma, near Texas where Earle is from.

Petty is a rock and roll throwback with some west coast 60s Byrds influences, the Burrito Bros, etc mixed with the obvious Stones blues based boogie rock influences.

[/QUOTE]
    Well, clearly, all bets are off with regard to Petty and Earle being viewed as peers, but you did a nice job in giving Earle his props, by placing him among musicians that you do see as his peer group.   

I've often had problems (not here, or in music discussions specifically, but in general) when I see people making comparisons that don't lead to a logical conclusion, which I seemed to have done here (a good yogi is a humble yogi :) ),  but at least in this instance, it translated to thinking about both musicians fairly.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, I am saying they do have one thing in common: they both wear hats.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate. 

[/QUOTE]

They are both from states that begin with the letter "M"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I had the pleasure of seeing both artists live over the last few years, Petty in the Metro Centre and Earle in a much smaller venue.  I would say I got to see them both in top form.  Both great shows.  Earle had the 'Dukes and Duchesses' with him so it was a big musical ensemble. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is one of Earle's most powerful lyrics IMO. 

My name is Billy Austin
    I'm twenty-nine years old
    I was born in Oklahoma
    Quarter Cherokee I'm told

Don't remember Oklahoma
    It's been so long since I left home
    Seems like I've always been in prison
    Like I've always been alone

Didn't mean to hurt nobody
    Never thought I'd cross that line
    I held up a filling station
    Like I'd done a hundred times

The kid done like I told him
    He lay face down on the floor
    Guess I'll never know what made me
    Turn and walk back through that door

The (forbidden word) s**t rang out like thunder
    My ears rang like a bell
    No one came runnin'
    And so I called the cops myself

Took their time to get there
    And I guess I could'a run
    I knew I should be feeling something
    But I never shed tear one

I didn't even make the papers
    'Cause I only killed one man
    But my trial was over quickly
    And then the long hard wait began

Court appointed lawyer
    Couldn't look me in the eye
    He just stood up and closed his briefcase
    When they sentenced me to die

And now my waitin's over
    As the final hour drags by
    I ain't about to tell you
    That I don't deserve to die

There's twenty-seven men here
    Mostly black and brown and poor
    And most of 'em are guilty
    And who are you to say for sure?

So when the preacher comes to get me
    And they shave off all my hair
    Could you take that long walk with me
    Knowing Hell's waitin' there?

Could you pull that switch yourself, sir
    With a sure and steady hand?
    Could you still tell youself, sir
    That you're better than I am?

My name is Billy Austin
    I'm twenty-nine years old
    I was born in Oklahoma
    Quarter Cherokee I'm told

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't tryign to crap on your thread. I know you think that, but I wasn't.  If you see a connection between the two, cool. I just don't see it.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.  I was being sincere when I said your assessment was fair. 

I honestly think the thread was weak; you didn't crap on Steve Earle in any way, you just suggested some musicians with whom he's on a more comparable level.    Totally fair. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I had the pleasure of seeing both artists live over the last few years, Petty in the Metro Centre and Earle in a much smaller venue.  I would say I got to see them both in top form.  Both great shows.  Earle had the 'Dukes and Duchesses' with him so it was a big musical ensemble. 

[/QUOTE]

I saw Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers many years ago (late 80's, early 90's) and the highlight of the show was their cover of Howlin' Wolf's "Little Red Rooster". They are a great, tight straight ahead rock 'n' roll band.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've always thought Earle was somewhat underrated, especially as a writer.  If you listen to albums like Guitar Town, Copperhead Road, and The Hard Way, they are very strong and diverse collections of songs.  I think commercially speaking, his diversity has worked against him a bit, because nobody knows what slot to put him in.  He did a bluegrass album called 'The Mountain' which I've haven't heard, but I have heard great things about.

[/QUOTE]

His huge hits, at least the ones that I know (and have millions of hits on youtube, FWIW), all tend to be strong, solid, rootsy RnR.      Not sure if he's underrated in the grand scheme of things, but he just didn't make it to the ultimate level of a rock star, as Matty said in a previous comment.   How many make it to that level?  Not many.

You seem to have the most experience with both artists, with ownership and familiarity of their music and with live concert attendance, so your word on this issue will go on record. 

Hope your're prepared for what ever you say to be thrown in your face at a later date, if we are to meet the standards of the politics or sports forums.   :D   (I'm sure you can handle it)  Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Love Petty. Probably the first artist/band I gravitated towards a young kid, likely because of the presence on MTV, too.  Not that I liked what was on MTV across the board, but they definitely had a presence and once I started getting their albums as birtyday gifts or Xmas gifts, it was over.

Still think Wildflowers is an absolute masterpiece and one of the best albums of the 1990s.

Great band. Campbell is highly underrated, IMO and really adds some tasteful leads and fills on the material.   He can write a bit, too. Benmont Tench is also as good as it gets on keys.  

If you have never seen the documentary that Peter Bogdanovich did back in 2007, highly, highly, recommended. It's long, about 4 hours, but you'll be thrilled you watched it.  The original films they dug up that the incorporated into it along with how its paced, make it arguably the best music documentary I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od7uLDAuBvE

[/QUOTE]

I am in total agreement with you on Petty and the Heartbreakers. Campbell and Tench rank right up their with the best rock players on their respective intruments. Combined with Petty's great songwriting, it's a killer combination. I think they are a perfect rock band.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Also agreed on Mike Campbell being an underrated player.  At the show I saw, he got 'turned loose' on a few songs, most notably on the the 1969 Fleetwood Mac song 'Oh Well', and he really got to show his chops.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

His huge hits, at least the ones that I know (and have millions of hits on youtube, FWIW), all tend to be strong, solid, rootsy RnR.      Not sure if he's underrated in the grand scheme of things, but he just didn't make it to the ultimate level of a rock star, as Matty said in a previous comment.   How many make it to that level?  Not many.

You seem to have the most experience with both artists, with ownership and familiarity of their music and with live concert attendance, so your word on this issue will go on record. 

Hope your're prepared for what ever you say to be thrown in your face at a later date, if we are to meet the standards of the politics or sports forums.   :D   (I'm sure you can handle it)  Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that yf.  As is probably coming through, Earle is one of those artists I have  a real special affection for.  He has come to play in Halifax I think 4 times now.  Every time he comes it's a completely different type of show.  He has a pretty ardent following here. 

I should also mention the guy is at least halfway to insane and readily admits it.  He's been married a zillion times, did time in jail, heroin addiction, the whole bit.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts