Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B'

You're wondering ,"what the heck is that crazy reptile talking about, now?"

We were here at work this morning and the song by B.T.O. "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" (B-B-Bab-b-by , you just ain't seen n-n-nan-n-nothin' yet") was playing, a younger guy asked me what other song by B.T.O. had these stuttering vocals. Turns out he was thinking of George Thorogood with "B-B-B-Bad to the Bone."

I remember also that Elton John did a stutter on the "BBBBenny and the Jets."

..and 'Bottoms up' by Van Halen had a Bu..bu..bu..bubba...baby , bottoms up"

Just wondering if you can think of any other songs with stuttering vocals, doesn't have to be the letter 'B', those are the ones I could come up with.

Just for fun , of course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B'

Talkin' bout my g-g-g-g-generation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is Friday - do I have to really think?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Beatles - Hello Goodbye
    Led Zep - Nobody's Fault But Mine

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This may not technically fall under the parameters of the category, but there are an awful lot of funky vocal gymnastics in Billy Stewart's version of Summertime.

And I guess you could throw in ch-ch-ch-Changes by David Bowie.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Was listening to Eddie Money this morning and he was telling me - "that girl was shakin'....she was sha-sha-sha-shakin', movin' up and down and 'round and 'round , that girl was shakin'"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

............ "Babe you know I love you so, I'd give the world if you would know, that when I see you walking down the street, my heart skips a be be ba be ba be ba be ba beat beat". ............ This is in a remake of I Really Love You by the group, The Legends of Do Wopp, who are a compilation of lead singers from 50-60's national groups.  The version of this song that charted back in the early 60's, by the Stereos, had no stuttering in it.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Knack  -My Sharona
    GNR-   Welcome to the Jungle
    Bob Seger-   Katmandu
    Def Leppard-  Foolin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Forgot to add the Kinks- Lola

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Nice work, mrmojo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

19, by Paul Hardcastle (IIRC).  Anti-war song ... the n-n-n-nineteen and s-s-saigon are very effective evoking automatic weapon firing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BACK IN THE USSR - The Beatles    Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is Monday morning and I am still having difficulty thinking.

Do all the songs that Robert Plants sings - baby - baby - baby- baby - b b baby count?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands - The Who

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Thanks Hfxsoxnut.Good call on Mary Anne with the shaky hands too Mike.After thinking about it,I missed another one I wanted to add.
    The Runaways  - Cherry Bomb

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Does Elvis Presley's "Baby Let's Play House" qualify? Did you know that John Lennon took the line "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man," from that song for the opening line of "Run for Your Life"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B':
    Does Elvis Presley's "Baby Let's Play House" qualify? Did you know that John Lennon took the line "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man," from that song for the opening line of "Run for Your Life"?
    Posted by devildavid

I'd say that counts. It's even got the letter 'B'.

Elvis may have been the first to do stuttering vocals in rock.

Who knew?...I mean except our good friend, devildad.

I wasn't aware of the Beatles trivia tidbit.

Here's some trivia for you. ---I actually heard the Rachel Sweet version of 'Baby , Let's Play House', before I heard the Elvis version. I was slow to accept Elvis when I was young. The Elvis I knew when I was really starting to get into rock music was singing at the Copa and in Vegas , he was kind of fat and looked like Liberace's brother. I was a huge fan of Chuck Berry long before I ever purchased an Elvis record or disc...and believe that Chuck is the real "King of Rock'n'Roll, because he never sold out and started singing mushy lovesongs and Sinatra style crooning. In time I learned to enjoy the early Elvis and discard the 70's stuff. While Elvis was adored by millions, I always think the crown of "King of rock'n'roll" should be shared by Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis ( the original punk).

Now , back to the stutters....you folks have thought up way more than I ever would have dreamed, thanks for the replies!

Now jessey, could you please come up with one before I turn 65! Sheesh!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B' : I'd say that counts. It's even got the letter 'B'. Elvis may have been the first to do stuttering vocals in rock. Who knew?...I mean except our good friend, devildad. I wasn't aware of the Beatles trivia tidbit. Here's some trivia for you. ---I actually heard the Rachel Sweet version of 'Baby , Let's Play House', before I heard the Elvis version. I was slow to accept Elvis when I was young. The Elvis I knew when I was really starting to get into rock music was singing at the Copa and in Vegas , he was kind of fat and looked like Liberace's brother. I was a huge fan of Chuck Berry long before I ever purchased an Elvis record or disc...and believe that Chuck is the real "King of Rock'n'Roll, because he never sold out and started singing mushy lovesongs and Sinatra style crooning. In time I learned to enjoy the early Elvis and discard the 70's stuff. While Elvis was adored by millions, I always think the crown of "King of rock'n'roll" should be shared by Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis ( the original punk). Now , back to the stutters....you folks have thought up way more than I ever would have dreamed, thanks for the replies! Now jessey, could you please come up with one before I turn 65! Sheesh!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I was going to come back with Cherry Bomb but I see Mr. mojo beat me to it.

Other than that, I really can't think of another. Everyone named the ones that might sit in the back of my head. I even scanned a bunch of songs right now and came up with Zilch. I am sure there are more, but I can't for the life of me think of any.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Here's another stuttering version of an Elvis song-Blue Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUELu8o5KJg&feature=related

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

How about Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys? It's even got a "B".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B' : I'd say that counts. It's even got the letter 'B'. Elvis may have been the first to do stuttering vocals in rock. Who knew?...I mean except our good friend, devildad. I wasn't aware of the Beatles trivia tidbit. Here's some trivia for you. ---I actually heard the Rachel Sweet version of 'Baby , Let's Play House', before I heard the Elvis version. I was slow to accept Elvis when I was young. The Elvis I knew when I was really starting to get into rock music was singing at the Copa and in Vegas , he was kind of fat and looked like Liberace's brother. I was a huge fan of Chuck Berry long before I ever purchased an Elvis record or disc...and believe that Chuck is the real "King of Rock'n'Roll, because he never sold out and started singing mushy lovesongs and Sinatra style crooning. In time I learned to enjoy the early Elvis and discard the 70's stuff. While Elvis was adored by millions, I always think the crown of "King of rock'n'roll" should be shared by Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis ( the original punk). Now , back to the stutters....you folks have thought up way more than I ever would have dreamed, thanks for the replies! Now jessey, could you please come up with one before I turn 65! Sheesh!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I understand your feelings about Presley, but I'm still a big fan of his. I also think Chuck Berry doesn't get his due as the "King of Rock'n'Roll". He is the man who taught young rockers how to play guitar. I guess Elvis is the King because he represented the spirit of the music with his charisma and ability to excite his fans.  He was the crossroad where many forms of American music came together and exploded into a whole new youthful sound and began to bridge the gaps between various forms of music as no one had before or since. Elvis's Sun Sessions are the greatest rock songs he ever recorded and are one of the main sources of the river of rock music that flowed from there. Elvis did not really sell out. He always loved the great ballad singers of his day and especially loved Gospel music. I think Elvis brought it all together and helped to bring people of various backgrounds together who before him had no musical artist that they shared in common.

I agree with you that the crown should be shared, but I can understand why Elvis was given the the title.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Agreed about the Elvis Sun Sessions , dd , that was the first Elvis CD that I purchased and it's surely my favorite.

jessey, try harder, I know you are excited about your Yankees but we are getting some real great replies here, even MikeNagy and MrMojo have beaten you on this one and I know how you hate getting beaten by a Red Sox.

How could I forget 'Barbara Ann'???, thanks Mike.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agreed about the Elvis Sun Sessions , dd , that was the first Elvis CD that I purchased and it's surely my favorite. jessey, try harder, I know you are excited about your Yankees but we are getting some real great replies here, even MikeNagy and MrMojo have beaten you on this one and I know how you hate getting beaten by a Red Sox. How could I forget 'Barbara Ann'???, thanks Mike.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Now is Barbara Ann really what you would call a stutter? They are just repeating the first vowel.

I hear a stutter, I think of My Generation or Cherry Bomb.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B' : Now is Barbara Ann really what you would call a stutter? They are just repeating the first vowel. I hear a stutter, I think of My Generation or Cherry Bomb.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Stuttering (alalia syllabaris), also known as stammering (alalia literalis or anarthria literalis), is a speech disorder in which the flow of speech is disrupted by involuntary repetitions and prolongations of sounds, syllables, words or phrases, and involuntary silent pauses or blocks in which the stutterer is unable to produce sounds.

Are you playing the game under protest? Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Stuttering vocals, and the letter 'B' : Stuttering ( alalia syllabaris ), also known as stammering ( alalia literalis or anarthria literalis ), is a speech disorder in which the flow of speech is disrupted by involuntary repetitions and prolongations of sounds, syllables, words or phrases, and involuntary silent pauses or blocks in which the stutterer is unable to produce sounds. Are you playing the game under protest?
    Posted by MikeNagy

Yes - I am also under the opinion that many musicians from our era used Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs). I mean, do you think Sgt. Pepper or Exile on Main Street could have been written without such usage?

I think I will become a bit like Moony and Softlawes from here on in.

Sections
Shortcuts