Sugar... and...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sugar... and...

Sugar was an excellent, albeit short-lived band that was formed when the alternative genre had meaning, back in its day.   For an American band, they rode a wave of success in the UK, maybe moreso than they did in the USA.  

You would have to have been paying attention to be familiar with Sugar, as they had a mere 3-year run, never met with commercial success, signed onto Rykodisc (and FWIW, Ryko was founded in metro-Boston, was (and still is, although not as small and obscure as it was when it was founded) considered an original indie record label if ever there was one) all contributing factors as to what defined alternative in the 90's.

Relevant to the "insurpassable first album" thread, some would say that Sugar's first album, "Copper Blue" was their best; I happen to find "File Under Easy Listening" to be outstanding.

Now most Sugar fans already know this, but not being a Husker Du fan, I only recently discovered that (sorry I can't create umlauts for HD)  Sugar was a creation of former HD singer / guitarist, Bob Mould.

I don't expect much traction from this thread, and that's okay -- but since a few people have said they know little about Husker Du, and that band has been mentioned a number of times in other threads, it would be awesome if you want to discuss Husker Du and/or Sugar.  Any fans out there?

Thoughts, anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Sugar... and...

I first discovered Bob Mould when his LP , 'Black Sheets of Rain' debuted...around 1989 or so. I had actually not heard much about Husker Du before that.

It has been quite some time since I put either a Bob Mould, Husker Du or Sugar CD in the player and sat and listened to it. I'm not really sure why, except that my collection is large and there are lots of artists I tend to forget about.

In some ways , I wish there hadn't been so much great music. I reckon that if I started listening to what I have amassed over the years from A to Z , it would take decades before I got to XTC or ZZTop....two other groups I haven't listened to in a while. It sometimes takes me 10-15 minutes to decide what I want to hear.

It has been so long that I can't think of a single Bob Mould related track at this moment, but I know I must have really liked it or I wouldn't have bought any of them. I seem to remember a Husker Du CD called Candy Apple Grey being quite good. Gotta listen to some of this stuff in the near future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Sugar is vaguely familiar to me, but Rykodisc is very familiar. They did some great re-issues of Frank Zappa and Elvis Costello quite a few years ago.

I've heard of Bob Mould and Husker Du as well but never listened to any of the music. My impression is that they put out very dark songs, so I wasn't inclined to try them out. Maybe I'm wrong abut that, but I tend to stay away from depressed white guy bands for the most part.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Sugar... and...:
    [QUOTE]Now most Sugar fans already know this, but not being a Husker Du fan, I only recently discovered that (sorry I can't create umlauts for HD)  Sugar was a creation of former HD singer / guitarist, Bob Mould. I don't expect much traction from this thread, and that's okay -- but since a few people have said they know little about Husker Du, and that band has been mentioned a number of times in other threads, it would be awesome if you want to discuss Husker Du and/or Sugar.  Any fans out there? Thoughts, anyone?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned on the other thread, I became quite enamored of Soul Asylum at one point and snapped up a bunch of their albums.  When I read the writeup on Soul Asylum in the Rolling Stone Album Review, it said they were 'heavily indebted' to Husker Du or words to that effect.  If I remember correctly both bands came from Minnesota.

My interest in Husker Du was sparked by that but I didn't follow up.  Maybe the time has come to check them out.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Huskur Du was one of my favorite bands back in the day.. Very influential.. They and the Replacements put Minnesota on the musical map for me ( not a Prince fan although he is very talented).. then Bob Mould put a solo album out "Workbook" I think i burned out needles on my turnatable listening to that. I love every song on Workbook. It would be a deserted Island album I would bring.. Then came Sugar. Loved them as well.. A Good Idea off of Copper Blue sold me on Sugar immediately.. Great tune.. Great band. Bob Mould is an icon.. Still making great music..Plays a mean guitar.. Recently joined No Age on stage for a few shows. Loved seeing him play Eraser live with No Age. Bob can still bring the noise... Both Husker Du and Sugar were too short lived though..

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Sugar... and...:
    [QUOTE]Huskur Du was one of my favorite bands back in the day.. Very influential.. They and the Replacements put Minnesota on the musical map for me ( not a Prince fan although he is very talented).. then Bob Mould put a solo album out "Workbook" I think i burned out needles on my turnatable listening to that. I love every song on Workbook. It would be a deserted Island album I would bring.. Then came Sugar. Loved them as well.. A Good Idea off of Copper Blue sold me on Sugar immediately.. Great tune.. Great band. Bob Mould is an icon.. Still making great music..Plays a mean guitar.. Recently joined No Age on stage for a few shows. Loved seeing him play Eraser live with No Age. Bob can still bring the noise... Both Husker Du and Sugar were too short lived though..
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  Was just going to tell HFX that I was pretty sure you'd weigh in on this as you were one of the regulars here that I've seen give props to Husker Du in other posts.   

Didn't know how much you liked Sugar as well, but that's what I was looking for here and you're right -- far too short lived.   

Sugar had radio friendly hits, but only on college radio stations and also WFNX (peaking as an alternative radio station at the time).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sugar... and... : As I mentioned on the other thread, I became quite enamored of Soul Asylum at one point and snapped up a bunch of their albums.  When I read the writeup on Soul Asylum in the Rolling Stone Album Review, it said they were 'heavily indebted' to Husker Du or words to that effect.  If I remember correctly both bands came from Minnesota. My interest in Husker Du was sparked by that but I didn't follow up.  Maybe the time has come to check them out.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Hfx,
    Take the advice of some of the posters who know HD well to figure out what album(s) are the best.   Check out some video clips.

Then put the CDs you want on your holiday gift list, and drop some hints.  Would be a great gift.  Easy.  :D

Sugar only released 3 studio albums (they have a compilation and maybe a live album, too) and are also excellent, but since you've had a distant interest in Husker Du for a while, you probably should follow up on them first.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

As far as HD albums.. I liked New Day Rising and Zen Arcade the best. Flip your wig was great as well. Listen to Celebrated summer from New Day rising.. gives you an idea of the Huskers range.. Mould shared vocals with grant Hart. always loved bobs songs more it seemd. Greg Norton was so underappreciated as a bass player. I think Greg is an exuctive cheff nowaydsSurprised

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Thanks guys...will check out the HD stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i don't know either of these bands...thanks :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]i don't know either of these bands...thanks :)
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Your new avatar is really cool. I am a big fan of Bill Watterson and used to read his strip 'Calvin and Hobbes' all the time.

Sorry for the interruption continue with the great Bob Mould debate...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BTW Bob Mould is one of the worst names ever for a rock musician ...Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]BTW Bob Mould is one of the worst names ever for a rock musician ...
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he should have changed it to Gladys Kravits? Like Vincent Furnier changed his name to Alice Cooper( for those following along on the other thread).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sugar... and... : Your new avatar is really cool. I am a big fan of Bill Watterson and used to read his strip 'Calvin and Hobbes' all the time. Sorry for the interruption continue with the great Bob Mould debate...
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I honestly think that Calvin and Hobbes is the main reason why I am who I am today, I read it every chance I got as a kid and I still have all of his collections.  It prodded me to think in so many different ways than anything else I was absorbing, oftentimes even existentially. (which is no coincidence, being as the namesakes for the strip are John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes).  But Watterson was also a realist, and I love the way he captured everything in the strip.

Thank GOD there hasn't been a movie to ruin it.  Those awful bumper stickers of Calvin peeing are bad enough.

edit:  I actually took my avatar picture last night before I went to bed, I happened to be flipping through The Days Are Just Packed and I thought it suited me well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Loved Husker Du...quintessential midwest post-punk band along with The Replacements.  New Day Rising is a must-own in my book, and they played the kind of noisy dissonance that I gravitate toward.  Zen Arcade and Flip Your Wig are nearly as good.

They heavily influenced the Pixies, Sonic Youth, JAMC, etc. and they tie in well to our conversation on the nirvana thread.  For me, HD were the punks and the Mats were the rock n' rollers, but glibness aside, they were both hugely influential.

Alas, Sugar and Bob Mould solo never really caught on with me.  I can appreciate his artistry and indie sensibilities, but at the time I felt he lost a bit of the urgency of his youth. (if that makes any sense)

Given his origins, it's a little like Frank Black after the Pixies.  Still interesting and dynamic, but not exactly ground-breaking.

Relatedly, I heard a radio snippet a few weeks ago about aging punk rockers and their middle aged familial crises which was fascinating.  Mould came to mind immediately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

phsmith: The *main* reason?  Well, if you say so ... :)   Comic strips aside ... (not that I have anything against them, I read Doonesbury, after all) ... but I'm going back on track, if that's okay.  :D

To get back on track here -- I just wanted to say that the main reason that I know what I do of Ryko is because I used to hang out with a recording studio engineer who only recorded groups that recorded for indie labels, and I appreciated the fact that we had a prominent part of the music industry right here in MA.   The way Ryko has evolved is exemplary and to their credit.   An interesting way to find out about new music or perhaps (in some cases) off the beaten track artists would be to check their catalog / website.  

Meant to also say for Hfx: Soul Asylum recorded on Ryko.   So there you go.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yoga: More than likely the main reason, but that's not to discredit some other factors, and that may or may not be a good thing. ha!  It's still thought provoking to this day.  Even my grandfather read it!

matty: I think I heard the same radio segment...NPR?  I was very interested in it, I'm pretty sure they had an excerpt of an interview with the Pennywise frontman about going on tour and his daughter asking him how many barbies he was going to take.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ph:  My Mum read it, too.  Loved it, in fact.  If you want to read any books in the Calvinist tradition, let me know.  If you really want something profound, that is. :D

Matty:  Try to imagine hearing Sugar and not knowing anything about HU.   The radio friendly hits (I am listening this very second to "Believe What You're Saying") were very rough edged pop rock, and I grant you to listen to it now does not seem ground breaking, but at the time, the sound was really in the alt tradition (almost afraid of saying that these days ...) and very catchy.   Aged nicely, IMO.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If I am not mistaken Rykodisc big early splash came with the re-issues of all the early Bowie LPS. I remember buying the boxset and then buying every re release.  The packaging was very nice, the sound nice and clean. Alternate versions were released as bonus tracks ( a real great version of '1984/Dodo' and an alternate version of 'John, I'm Only Dancing'...possibly one of Bowie's most under-rated songs ( the strong homosexual theme may be the reason people don't talk much about it, surely more "in your face" than 'Changes')

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] Matty:  Try to imagine hearing Sugar and not knowing anything about HU.   The radio friendly hits (I am listening this very second to "Believe What You're Saying") were very rough edged pop rock, and I grant you to listen to it now does not seem ground breaking, but at the time, the sound was really in the alt tradition (almost afraid of saying that these days ...) and very catchy.   Aged nicely, IMO.  

I'll definitely give a second listen...I know I've got Easy Listening around somewhere. 

It's a little hard to describe, but at that time, sugar were almost an afterthought...although I did like Black Sheets which is quite different sonically.  And yes, there's also his introspection that wore on me after a while.

A good reminder though...thanks!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] matty: I think I heard the same radio segment...NPR?  I was very interested in it, I'm pretty sure they had an excerpt of an interview with the Pennywise frontman about going on tour and his daughter asking him how many barbies he was going to take.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was it.  Great stuff.  I mean, I was at a warped tour only 6 years ago.  (I brought my nephews, but still...)

As a (wannabe) rocker pushing the big four-oh myself, these stories get more prescient every year.

"...rage against the dying of the light" and whatnot....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hey, thanks, everyone.  I'm glad I brought this up.   There might be another thread derived from this one, because it begs a question in my mind about the ways we discover music.  

It's never too late to discover a band, even one (and perhaps especially one) that is defunct.  I mean, you watch films where the actors are deceased, you read books that have copyright dates that are as old as dirt,  and not to mention classical music ... so why not continue to seek out rock music by short-lived, great bands?  If there's a recording out there, they exist musically.  And if it's new to you, then it fits the definition of 'new' music in my book.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Hey, thanks, everyone.  I'm glad I brought this up.   There might be another thread derived from this one, because it begs a question in my mind about the ways we discover music.   It's never too late to discover a band, even one (and perhaps especially one) that is defunct.  I mean, you watch films where the actors are deceased, you read books that have copyright dates that are as old as dirt,  and not to mention classical music ... so why not continue to seek out rock music by short-lived, great bands?  If there's a recording out there, they exist musically.  And if it's new to you, then it fits the definition of 'new' music in my book.   :)

Heh.  You happened onto one of my wife's/friend's pet critiques: my own slavish attachment to either long-defunct or short-lived groups, no matter how irrelevant or obscure.

(Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies, anyone...?)

(We'll leave aside for a moment my personal stash of concert/rock detritus and t-shirts tht no longer fit me...which is another part of the story.)  :P

Sections
Shortcuts