Super Groups

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Super Groups

There have been a number of "Super Groups" in the 60 years of RnR. The definition of "Super Group" is the creation of a band from the remnants of other very successful bands. Some of the most obvious are Blind Faith, Traveling Wilbury's, Damn Yankees, Velvet Revolver (trying to cover all decades).

So, were they really super?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: Super Groups

I actually cant think of any that excited me..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluejay7. Show bluejay7's posts

Monsters of Folk is a pretty good super group in the folk/rock standard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Super Groups:
    [QUOTE]Monsters of Folk is a pretty good super group in the folk/rock standard.
    Posted by bluejay7[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I'll add Temple Of The Dog, Mad Season and Them Crooked Vultures...

I also liked Oysterhead, but they're a bit too obscure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Super Groups : Agreed. I'll add Temple Of The Dog, Mad Season and Them Crooked Vultures... I also liked Oysterhead, but they're a bit too obscure.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think at the time of "Temple of the Dog", none of those who participated had achieved a huge amout of fame. Although in my eyes, the album is as good as anything any of the Super Groups did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I've always heard Cream described as the first super group, and they certainly fit that description. Blind Faith deserves the moniker.

I agree that Crosby, Still and Nash and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young fit. 

The Firm with Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page could be classified as a supergroup, although they were less so. I'd put them behind the groups above and behind Traveling Wilburys and right with Damn Yankees.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Not "super" in terms of music, "super" in terms of success with previous groups - makes the likelihood of a "hit single" that much greater - they have a built in audience.  I'm not aware of any super group that put out an album with 10 hit songs on it.  I believe it has more to do with marketing and making a buck more than anything....I liked ASIA, Chickenfoot, Queen+Paul Rodgers and Them Crooked Vultures......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Really liking Black Country Communion:

A band featuring four veteran heavy-hitters of British and American hard rock, Black Country Communion are rooted in an alliance between bassist/vocalist Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple) and blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa, journeyman drummer Jason Bonham (son of bonzo) and keyboardist Derek Sherinian from Dream Theather.

On a side note - Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith still makes me shiver and I cannot help but sing along with it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I really enjoy Super Groups.  We get to hear some of the best of the best.  Its just amazing how much talent can be amassed and how the musicians can interract with each other, musically and socially.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Several years back, they ran a kind of Reality show which existing bands used to audition new members. INXS was the first band as they auditioned singers to replace Michael Hutchinson (Like that could happen).

The second band was the formation of a Super Group called Supernova. It was featuring Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Jason Newsted (Metallica) and Gilbey Clarke (G&R). The show was actually quite good and I was looking forward to see what they could do, especially since I am a big fan of both Tommy and Gilbey. The winner was not who I was hoping and I think the project fell by the wayside soon thereafter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Great example of a super group live!

TURN IT UP!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1nTRdC_wI

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Great example of a super group live!                                   TURN IT UP!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL1nTRdC_wI
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Excellent Roger - try this one from Black Country Communion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCqYxtAhLwc&feature=related

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]Several years back, they ran a kind of Reality show which existing bands used to audition new members. INXS was the first band as they auditioned singers to replace Michael Hutchinson (Like that could happen). The second band was the formation of a Super Group called Supernova. It was featuring Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Jason Newsted (Metallica) and Gilbey Clarke (G&R). The show was actually quite good and I was looking forward to see what they could do, especially since I am a big fan of both Tommy and Gilbey. The winner was not who I was hoping and I think the project fell by the wayside soon thereafter.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Jessey:  Here's a little trivia for you.  The contestant who finished fifth on Rock Star INXS, Jordis Unga, made it to the quarter finals of The Voice this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Jess I would have to say Blind Faith was. A shame they were only together less the a year if I'm not mistaken. After the success of Cream I suppose everybody was expecting Blind Faith to be better. I will always consider Cream to be one of the greatest groups even though they were together barely 3 years. I will always consider Traffic a super group, particularly with Dave Mason. Also one of the most underated groups also.