Supergroups

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Supergroups

What is your opinion of the "Supergroup" phenom?  Despite the fact they only released one album during their existence, Blind Faith is considered one of the greatest supergroups of all time.  Yet, Journey, the corporate rock kings, who have churned out a roster of albums, are not looked upon as a great supergroup (at least not by some rock aficioandios).  
    Some of the most well-known supergroups (there are many more, so please feel free to discuss any on or off this sampler list):
    Cream
    CSNY
    Blind Faith
    ELP
    Bad Company
    Asia 
    The Traveling Wilburys
    Foo Fighters

As it stands, were the earlier supergroups among the "best" ?  -- they are the bands that defined the concept of the supergroup, afterall.   Does it really matter how long a supergroup lasts?  What really inspires musicians to form a supergroup ... is it a matter of money?  Because why else would you want to form a band with people whom you'd suspect of bailing on you to leave for other work, go solo, or just have ego issues with?  :)

Thoughts, anyone?

note: Zilla: I removed the label for Asia -- agreed.  It was just somethig I read.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Re: Supergroups

By my naive idealistic way of thinking, it's got to be a big dose of seizing an opportunity to work with one or more musical artists who truly command your respect and admiration, even if you know it's only going to last for a short time.

Also seems like the concept has sort of dried up in more recent times, or perhaps evolved into the "X featuring Y" concept that one sees more often now whether in hip-hop or Santana.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I resent that occasionally people refer to Asia as corporate rock.

They are no more "corporate"  than the Who or Led Zeppelin. They simply were a group that used a prog rock background and merged it with a more radio friendly sound in the spirit of Boston or Styx. The debut album by Asia ranks as one of my all time favorites.

The term 'supergroup' is mainly used to describe a band that is formed from the ashes of previously (somewhat) successful bands.

How do your rate the quality of a "supergroup?" By the quality of their music or by the quality of the musicians in the group?

Derek and the Dominoes, also short-lived as was Blind Faith, was superior to Blind Faith in my opinion. (Any group that includes Clapton automatically becomes a "supergroup" in my estimation).

I was thinking about an album I had in the mid 70's called 'Clapton at his best.' Bear in mind this compilation did not include any songs from Cream or the Yardbirds. It was restricted to the first solo LP,John Mayall's Bluesbreakers material (one song), Derek and the Dominoes and Blind Faith material. Many of Clapton's greatest songs and albums were yet to be written and recorded. For an artist to release a "best of" collection and have it be representative of only a brief period in his career is astounding and a testament to the greatness of the artist.

I believe the group U.K. could also be considered in the 'supergroup' category. They never had what could be termed a "hit" , but the debut LP is a classic slice of 70's prog rock.

Although they never played in an actual group, I have some video of Clapton and Robert Cray from an old t.v. show and it is tremendous. would this be a 'supergroup?'

Could we consider Ozzie's early work to be the product of a 'supergroup?' Remember guitarist Randy Rhoades was formerly in Quiet Riot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The "two is a trend" rule is in effect for supergroups.

How about these:

Power Station - Robert Palmer, Tony Thompson, Andy & John Taylor
    The Firm - Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers, along with Chris Slade (Uriah Heep)
    GTR - Steve Hackett and Steve Howe
    Mad Season - Layne Staley and Mike MacCready
    Temple Of The Dog - most of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam
    Wu-Tang Clan - RZA, Ghostface, Method Man, ODB, et al.

Recently:
    Audioslave - Chris Cornell and Tom Morello, Brad Wilk, Tim Commerford (all of RATM)
    Raconteurs - Jack White, Brendan Beeson, Jack Lawrence, et al.
    Them Crooked Vultures - Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, John Paul Jones
    Monsters Of Folk - Jim James, Conor Oberst, M. Ward, Mike Mogis (love these guys!!)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

You're right with your definition of a Supergroup,but I look at it a little differently.When I think of a Supergroup,I think of members of different bands jamming together for a special event or cause.A group like "The Dirty Mac" comes to mind.It was a group that performed for the Rolling Stones 1968 movie "Circus of the Stars".It consisted of John Lennon (Beatles),Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience),Keith Richards (Stones) and Eric Clapton (Cream).They did the song "Yer Blues" and then played back up for a song called "Whole Lotta Yoko"(with Yoko Ono caterwauling).
     Another example would be the group USA for Africa singing "We are the World" from Live Aid.But those would be the type of groups I would consider supergroups. 
       Another Supergroup you may want to add to your list are "The Highwaymen" with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

How about Velvet Revolver.

Hey, would Zeppelin qualify as a super group? Most came together from previous bands.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Jack White tries these things all the time...The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and i'm sure he's got more in the works.

Claypool is even more guilty, perhaps (Oysterhead, Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains)

Temple of the Dog actually predates Pearl Jam, which is pretty interesting I thought.

Also, Wu-Tang wouldn't count...that was their first group.

A few Matty didn't mention that I think are somewhat notable

A Perfect Circle (Maynard from Tool, Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, 2 other notables)
    Velvet Revolver (3 members from GnR, Weiland from STP, Kushner from Wasted Youth)
    The Transplants (Tim Armstrong of Rancid, Travis Barker and 1 other notable)
    Not so prominant, but Atoms for Peace [Thom Yorke (Radiohead) Flea (RHCP) Nigel Godrich (longtime producer)]

There are SO MANY these days, everybody seems to be collaborating on albums.  Even Jay-Z and Kanye West are forgoing the X featuring Y format by coming out with an album calling themselves The Throne.  It's a decent effort at best.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great comments.  I could have put the definition of a supergroup out there in my initial post, but I didn't really feel the need.  :)

While the definition is a band that is comprised completely (and it has to be *every*  member to really fit the concept definition) of members who were well-known / famous in their own right as previous members of other bands -- I'd include a group that got together to play in a film (per MrMojo's post) or an event that yielded a recording, etc.  That fits.  Why not?

Not sure about the "formed from the ashes" comment, Zilla.  Do you mean they formed from the ashes b/c their prior group had disbanded or dissolved?  

Audioslave seems to be on some of the more prominent lists -- but why bother making a list of more current Supergroups, when I knew Matty and ph would do it.  :D

Note: Zilla I removed the "corporate" label  -- agreed.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

David Coverdale and Jimmy Page worked together on an album in the 90's which I believe is one of that decades best releases.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

@ph - thanks for noting The Transplants - a great punk-ish supergroup...

...as was Lords Of The New Church

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Supergroups:
    [QUOTE]Great comments.  I could have put the definition of a supergroup out there in my initial post, but I didn't really feel the need.  :) While the definition is a band that is comprised completely (and it has to be *every*  member to really fit the concept definition) of members who were well-known / famous in their own right as previous members of other bands -- I'd include a group that got together to play in a film (per MrMojo's post) or an event that yielded a recording, etc.  That fits.  Why not? Not sure about the "formed from the ashes" comment, Zilla.  Do you mean they formed from the ashes b/c their prior group had disbanded or dissolved?   Audioslave seems to be on some of the more prominent lists -- but why bother making a list of more current Supergroups, when I knew Matty and ph would do it.  :D Note: Zilla I removed the "corporate" label  -- agreed.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Ashes are residue from cigars, cigarettes or a campfire. It doesn't mean the old band burned completely to the ground, just that these members of supergroups were 'residue' from other bands, ( David Crosby left the Byrds to form CSNY, but the Byrds still continued , albeit without as much success...ditto the Hollies without Graham Nash). When I say a supergroup formed from "the ashes" of a former band , the old band may still continue to play and record, although in many cases as a lesser entity. The James Gang without Joe Walsh was just not worth it, Rainbow formed from the ashes of Deep Purple although DP went ahead without Blackmore, and really weren't as good, but they weren't that bad either.
    Eventually the remaining members of Deep Purple became Whitesnake (Coverdale, Paice,Lord) or joined Rainbow (Glover), proving that the band had enough talent to make two successful and great sounding groups. These were the 'ashes' of Deep Purple and Deep Purple eventually burned brightly again in the 80's and 90's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I always thought a band with an artificial teaming of big stars just didn't work as well as a band with role players that was formed more organically. And once again, I'm not really sure how to define a supergroup. I tend to think of it as being made up of really really famous stars and not any borderline "stars". So I have pretty narrow definition of supergroup. As usual, I'm the wet blanket when it comes to defining a musical genre. Sorry. Frown

Back on topic, is Little Village a supergroup? I have their only album, and it's ok but nothing special. They had played together before on John Hiatt's album Bring the Family.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Firm, teaming Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page, sounded great in principle.  Only problems were, their material mostly stunk and Jimmy could hardly play the guitar at the time.  More of a Stuporgroup than a Supergroup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]    You're right with your definition of a Supergroup,but I look at it a little differently.When I think of a Supergroup,I think of members of different bands jamming together for a special event or cause.A group like "The Dirty Mac" comes to mind.It was a group that performed for the Rolling Stones 1968 movie "Circus of the Stars".It consisted of John Lennon (Beatles),Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience),Keith Richards (Stones) and Eric Clapton (Cream).They did the song "Yer Blues" and then played back up for a song called "Whole Lotta Yoko"(with Yoko Ono caterwauling).  Another example would be the group USA for Africa singing "We are the World" from Live Aid.But those would be the type of groups I would consider supergroups.     Another Supergroup you may want to add to your list are "The Highwaymen" with Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

That movie you refer to is called "Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Clash were the only band that mattered.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Supergroups : That movie you refer to is called "Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus".
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right.I was thinking of the specials they used to have on TV instead of the movie.My bad.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

While I really liked the instrumental backing by "The Dirty Mac"on "Whole lotta Yoko", she ruined the jam.She wasn't supposed to be stage with them,but John prodded her to come out and shriek at the top of her lungs (love is blind and in some cases,tone deaf as well).Jagger,Richards among others were POed that happened,but left her on the soundtrack to appease Lennon.

Here's a couple of links to the Dirty Mac songs from the movie.The first is "Yer Blues" and the second is "Whole lotta Yoko" 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9wi6_dirty-mac-yer-blues_music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A_46cPERQA

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]"Whole Lotta Oko".  I can only imagine what that sounds like.  MrMojo must be some kind of connoisseur of bad music!
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Did you used to see the music MrMojo posted in a game thread we had here for months on end a while back?  Uh, I don't know if it was "bad music" but it was off the wall!  Let's call it distinctive taste.  :D

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Supergroups : Ashes are residue from cigars, cigarettes or a campfire. It doesn't mean the old band burned completely to the ground, just that these members of supergroups were 'residue' from other bands, ( David Crosby left the Byrds to form CSNY, but the Byrds still continued , albeit without as much success...ditto the Hollies without Graham Nash). When I say a supergroup formed from "the ashes" of a former band , the old band may still continue to play and record, although in many cases as a lesser entity. The James Gang without Joe Walsh was just not worth it, Rainbow formed from the ashes of Deep Purple although DP went ahead without Blackmore, and really weren't as good, but they weren't that bad either. Eventually the remaining members of Deep Purple became Whitesnake (Coverdale, Paice,Lord) or joined Rainbow (Glover), proving that the band had enough talent to make two successful and great sounding groups. These were the 'ashes' of Deep Purple and Deep Purple eventually burned brightly again in the 80's and 90's.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, Zilla.   Nice history.  Of course, I remain indebted to you for setting me straight on the (American) origin of the Byrds.  ("I hate to tell you, Yoga ..." )
    Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]That said, I've heard worse.  Donna Godchaux could give her a run for the money.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

...I've never been a big fan of Donna Jean, either, but when she appeared with Dark Star Orchestra at The Vibes last month, she sounded really good...especially in tandem with Lisa Mackey (her DSO doppel) during a typically blistering set...

...and no, I wasn't hallucinating either...   ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It was rumoured that Jimi Hendrix was set to team up with Emerson , Lake and Palmer ( already one of the quintessential 'supergroups') before he died. we do not know if this was just for a jam session, one album or long term.

Now, wouldn't that have been a "super",supergroup?...or a 'superduper' group....or maybe with so much talent they would have been hyped so much that they could only disappoint us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]It was rumoured that Jimi Hendrix was set to team up with Emerson , Lake and Palmer ( already one of the quintessential 'supergroups') before he died. we do not know if this was just for a jam session, one album or long term. Now, wouldn't that have been a "super",supergroup?...or a 'superduper' group....or maybe with so much talent they would have been hyped so much that they could only disappoint us.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Would they have named the group "HELP" (Hendrix,Emerson,Lake and Palmer)?
        Hendrix was also interested in joining up with Arthur Brown to form what some would call a supergroup.
    This is what Arthur had to say about it:
    ‘’One day Jimi’s road manager, Tony Garland, took me over to Jimi’s hotel apartment and Jimi asked me if I would be interested in joining him.
    The idea was to have the three guys from the Experience plus me on vocals and my organist Vincent Crane. He said he felt he’d gone as far as he could with a three-piece and wanted to extend the music. He was also planning huge projection screens and backing tapes of music by Wagner, all kinds of things to open up the visual side and the spiritual side. My band was falling apart, but I really didn’t want to just be part of someone else’s group, so it never happened.’’

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Lords of the New Church