Talk about your favorite boy bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCAEStaff. Show BDCAEStaff's posts

Talk about your favorite boy bands

The New Kids on the Block and the Backstreet Boys are currently on tour together as boy band supergroup NKOTBSB. We asked you to create your ultimate boy band line up,combining past and present acts into an ultimate show.  Join the conversation below and talk about your favorites.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands

Yeah gang - do tell your thoughts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Do we have to?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Aren't they men yet?

How long can greedy promoters keep a foolish fad alive?

Let's all go to Cleveland and burn boy band CD's!!!

Hey it worked with Disco, right?

I 'd have to say the Ramones were my favorite "Boy Band!"

"Beat on the brat , beat on the brat...." "Twenty, twenty, twenty four hours to go-oh-ho...I wanna be sedated!!! Gabba-gabba hey!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Just wondering --  Is there such a thing as a Death Metal boy band? 
    Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

today its Wavves

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tough crowd for this one, BDCAE Staff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will say this - being Motown was the biggest influence on the Boy Bands as far as structure and stage, I would say the Jackson Five. I believe the Temps and 4 Tops were a bit old to be considered.

I will also say that all the Boy Bands that followed Motown couldn't shine the original's shoes. To me, the biggest fraud perpertrated on the listening public has been Justin Timberlake. How and why he is considered a great is beyond me. Him and Usher are exactly alike and they both molded themselves from the MJ model of the 80's (And I ain't talking Michael Jordan). I think that it is such a crass rip-off of Michael Jackson that they in fact have tarnished MJ's musical reputation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I like Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers (Why Do Fools Fall In Love and I'm Not A Juvenile Delinquent).  Also, out of Cinncinatti, OH, I like: The Students (I'm So Young and Everyday Of The Week).

I Can't Help Being Old School

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands:
    [QUOTE]I will say this - being Motown was the biggest influence on the Boy Bands as far as structure and stage, I would say the Jackson Five. I believe the Temps and 4 Tops were a bit old to be considered. I will also say that all the Boy Bands that followed Motown couldn't shine the original's shoes. To me, the biggest fraud perpertrated on the listening public has been Justin Timberlake. How and why he is considered a great is beyond me. Him and Usher are exactly alike and they both molded themselves from the MJ model of the 80's (And I ain't talking Michael Jordan). I think that it is such a crass rip-off of Michael Jackson that they in fact have tarnished MJ's musical reputation.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Well said, JE. 

The term "boy band" wasn't even coined until after the height of the Jacksons' popularity, so to even call them a boy band is a misnomer.  If anything, not only did they precede the trend, they made the template.  The trend or the term wasn't even ingnited until the 80's.  No Jacksons, no boy bands?  (let's keep the Beatles out of it) 

As for Justin Timerlake?  No Disney, no Timberlake.  :D 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i really do respect timberlake. started out on that tv show mickey mouse club with aguilera and spears (and ryan gosling), was the star of N*sync, and is the only one to have a legitimate solo career.  the kicker is that he can write and play music, which i didn't know until recently.  the guy has an incredible falsetto.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Of course there's nothing wrong with getting on the map via Disney / Mickey Mouse, there are lots of launch pads for entertainers, and that's to their credit.   'N Sync was actually okay in their day, but they were a mere flash in the pan, don't you think?  Has Timberlake been particularly influential?  He's had a fine solo career, and has a fan base, but despite that, I've never seen him as all that much out of the mainstream / ordinary.  Just my opinion, of course.  :D

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, well i guess just because he's the only boy band member to rise above it and have a legitimate superstar career

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands : Well said, JE.  The term "boy band" wasn't even coined until after the height of the Jacksons' popularity, so to even call them a boy band is a misnomer.  If anything, not only did they precede the trend, they made the template.  The trend or the term wasn't even ingnited until the 80's.  No Jacksons, no boy bands?  (let's keep the Beatles out of it)  As for Justin Timerlake?  No Disney, no Timberlake.  :D  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    The Jackson 5 were fabolous but The Teenagers, Students, Schoolboys and Classmates all charted on a national level back in the 50's and 60's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hope they never ask us to talk about our "favorite" disco artists.

You want to hear a classic ZILLAGOD rant?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]I hope they never ask us to talk about our "favorite" disco artists. You want to hear a classic ZILLAGOD rant?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Okay, Let's hear you're rant.  I have an open mind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HummBugg. Show HummBugg's posts

Alvin and The Chipmunks!

And as far as my fav Disco artist.....has to be KC & The Sunshine Band!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Alvin and The Chipmunks! And as far as my fav Disco artist.....has to be KC & The Sunshine Band!
    Posted by HummBugg[/QUOTE]

dear zillagod, please direct your wrath away from us and towards the unworthy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradsox04. Show bradsox04's posts

Some, or even many,  of the "boys" in these former "boy" bands like NKOB are 40 years old! Sounds like the "Peter Pan" syndrome. The "girls" who idolized these "boys" are now mothers and grandmothers. Can't we talk about something serious? This is all a little creepy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I think of "boy bands" as bands put together by producers with boys who looked good first and sang good second.  Also the boys in the band did not play instruments or write their own songs -- the groups were artificially constructed.

By that definition, the Jackson 5 would not qualify, because they were a family group, rather than an artificial production -- though one could argue that Joe Sr. put some artificial constraints on his kids.

The Monkees would qualify before the J5, I think.  Except I really do like the Monkees, and I pretty much loathe all the rest of the boy bands -- NKids,  BSB, Menudo -- ::::shudder::::

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Speaking of "artificial."

This is exactly why "boy bands" are an abomination.

This is a carry over from the so-called "disco era."

Disco was artificial , superficial, cheap garbage that knocked alot of talented bands into the unemployment line. Sure, it was cheaper to have programmed , synthesized beats and write songs with words that had no meaning....but we were supposed to be growing as a species, not regressing to mindless drum and bass beats and nonsense lyrics like- "shake,shake,shake...shake,shake,shake...shake yer boooty...shake yer boooty"

Alot of very talented, imaginative, good sounding power pop bands were made into second class citizens so your local Rock and top 40 stations could play YMCA, K.C. & the Sunshine cr@p, and similar nonsense. I can think of a number of good groups that never gained listeners because Disco stole their chance. Red Rider,Romantics,Greg Kihn Band,Sniff 'n the Tears, the Records, The Jam all should have been bigger , should have gotten airplay and more exposure. But these all took a back seat to artificial dance music with useless lyrical value.

Why has Rock music lasted 50 years? Why has Classical music lasted centuries? Why did Disco last about 5 years and boy bands last maybe 10 years? Because two are genuine, and two are phony attempts at commercializing a fad....lots of non-musicians and non singers made tons of money promoting this as the next big thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Oh, come on, Zilla!  You're ignoring the greatest song ever written or performed:

Boogie Oogie Oogie by A Taste of Honey

C'mon, you know you want to sing along with me:

Now get on up on the floor
    Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie
    Till you just can't boogie no more (boogie)
    Boogie no more
    You can't boogie no more (boogie)
    Boogie no more, listen to my bass here

Get down, boogie oogie oogie
    Get down

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, come on, Zilla!  You're ignoring the greatest song ever written or performed: Boogie Oogie Oogie by A Taste of Honey C'mon, you know you want to sing along with me: Now get on up on the floor Cuz we're gonna boogie oogie oogie Till you just can't boogie no more (boogie) Boogie no more You can't boogie no more (boogie) Boogie no more, listen to my bass here Get down, boogie oogie oogie Get down, boogie oogie oogie Get down, boogie oogie oogie Get down
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Make this song stop playing in my head right this moment....

....thanks Ms Sandwich, thanks a whole bunch.

After reading the profound lyrics I have to ask , didn't Dylan write this song.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands : Make this song stop playing in my head right this moment.... ....thanks Ms Sandwich, thanks a whole bunch. After reading the profound lyrics I have to ask , didn't Dylan write this song.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Hey, it says something about the awesome power of disco that I remember the words to Boogie Oogie Oogie much better than I do to any Dylan song.

You gotta give props where props is due, I say.

Like a rolling stone.....get down boogie oogie oogie.....