Talk about your favorite boy bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands

In Response to Re: Talk about your favorite boy bands:
    [QUOTE]Alvin and The Chipmunks! And as far as my fav Disco artist.....has to be KC & The Sunshine Band!
    Posted by HummBugg[/QUOTE]
    Alvin and the Chipmunks!  LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from juliadennehy. Show juliadennehy's posts

New Kids on the Block? Seriously? Backstreet Boys? Again, seriously? Ugh. Shocking to see people actually pay to see that crap-ola. < rolls eyes >

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont have one, but I jammed with Nick carter a few years back. hes a cool kid.. He was starting a rock band about 6-7 years ago here in Tampa and I jammed with him a few times..he got called to do a BSB reunion thing so nothing happened..Good guy though..very humble..Knows he had nothing, literally, when he was young and really appreciates how lucky he is now..gotta respect that..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of "artificial." This is exactly why "boy bands" are an abomination. This is a carry over from the so-called "disco era." Disco was artificial , superficial, cheap garbage that knocked alot of talented bands into the unemployment line. Sure, it was cheaper to have programmed , synthesized beats and write songs with words that had no meaning....but we were supposed to be growing as a species, not regressing to mindless drum and bass beats and nonsense lyrics like- "shake,shake,shake...shake,shake,shake...shake yer boooty...shake yer boooty" Alot of very talented, imaginative, good sounding power pop bands were made into second class citizens so your local Rock and top 40 stations could play YMCA, K.C. & the Sunshine cr@p, and similar nonsense. I can think of a number of good groups that never gained listeners because Disco stole their chance. Red Rider,Romantics,Greg Kihn Band,Sniff 'n the Tears, the Records, The Jam all should have been bigger , should have gotten airplay and more exposure. But these all took a back seat to artificial dance music with useless lyrical value. Why has Rock music lasted 50 years? Why has Classical music lasted centuries? Why did Disco last about 5 years and boy bands last maybe 10 years? Because two are genuine, and two are phony attempts at commercializing a fad....lots of non-musicians and non singers made tons of money promoting this as the next big thing.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Now I understand what you ranters are saying.  If inferior music is making big $$$ for the music industry because it is part of a fad, that is not good for true music appreciation.  But I'm sure you would acknowledge that good talent of any age, that works hard at their skill, deserves respect.  Correct me if I'm wrong. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Sure, it was cheaper to have programmed , synthesized beats and write songs with words that had no meaning....Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

zilla, cmon' now...barry gibb is a lyrical genius!

"it's alright, it's okay,
    you may look the other way.
    we can try to understand
    the NY Times' effect on man.

whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother
    you're stayin' alive, stayin alive
    feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'
    and we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] Why has Rock music lasted 50 years? Why has Classical music lasted centuries? Why did Disco last about 5 years and boy bands last maybe 10 years? Because two are genuine, and two are phony attempts at commercializing a fad....lots of non-musicians and non singers made tons of money promoting this as the next big thing.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I understand your passion re: this particular musical style, zilla.  As always, your rants seem to come from the heart, and I can appreciate that as well as your honesty.  I think it's important to discuss what moves us  - for good or bad - and why.

So for now anyway, I won't launch into the counter-argument for why disco was indeed a viable musical art form, how it has influenced the music of today (sometimes even for the better!), and how it may resemble the rise-and-fall of other musical styles....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

some music is made for listening, some is made for dancing. very few are made for both.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Ramones were made for both. There was nothing like bopping to the Ramones back in the 70's. The Motown bands made music for both as well.

I am also with Zilla in my disgust of Disco, but my reasons are purely subjective. I hated the haircut by numbers back in the 70's. I completely despised 3 piece suits & at least in NYC, it really started highlighting the guido attitude (Sat. Nite Fever characters). To be honest, I never really gave the music a chance. I was proud of my "Disco S ux" T-shirt and wore it often. I think Zilla and I are around the same age and back then, if you weren't a disco boy, you basically hated it with all the passion you could muster. And it has carried over 35 years later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was dating a girl back in 1980...tail end if the disco era. She wanted to go somewhere and do some dancing. I was never one who enjoyed dancing of any kind. She wasn't into the disco scene , but was more into ballroom style dancing. We only found one club that had dancing and it was a disco, complete with silver ball, pounding bass beat, and flashing colored lights. We didn't stay long ( she hated it too), we never got to dance ( which was fine with me) and we broke up a few months later ( no great disappointment...now). The 'host' who greeted us was an old schoolmate of mine and although I suppose a job is a job...it appalled me to know he worked in a place like that, I used to think he was an alright guy...but after that. well let's say some "respect" was lost.

Now that I have strayed completely away from the point of this thread, let's just say, I was so much happier staying home and listening to Rainbow and AC/DC etc. than hanging out with a bunch of phonies dressed in silly outfits with strobe lights and pounding bass.

I felt like the antichrist in a church of God. Walking into that disco, my flesh was just crawling and had what I believe was called the "heebie jeebies"...extremely uneasy and out of my environment...I knew I could not stay there.

I would get a similar feeling when I would see "boy bands" on T.V., this is all fake sh*t directed strictly at adolecent girls. It is not a universal music style. Rap has found it's audience with urban blacks and later suburban white kids felt it was "cool" listening to it. Rock probably originally targeted teenagers, but it has grown up with us, it has transcended it's target audience. Rap , Disco and Boy bands never did this. They remain music forms meant for certain target audience. It all seems foolish to think young girls , would still be listening to Backstreet Boys at 25 or 30 years old. Maybe they will, who knows? I know Led Zeppelin, Ozzy and Pink Floyd still sound great to me now at 53, and probably will still sound great at 80.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'm picturing zilla stomping around and destroying the entire place, roaring

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Zilla:

I guess I don't understand your "phonies" comment.  If someone genuinely likes disco or hip hop or any other musical form you don't like, that doesn't make them phony.  Any nightclub has its (large) share of phonies -- that's the whole pretense behind most pickup lines, after all.  I notice that most of jessey's comments were about the clothes and hairstyles and not about the music itself, so it sounds like some of the gut reaction you're talking about is about people or styles you don't like more than the music itself.

Disco is not my number 1 favorite type of music (or my #2 or #3 or #4......), but to me, it's just an evolution of Motown (which I do love) and a precursor to hip hop and rap.  Certainly there's overlap at any rate.  There's always a place for great dance music, and it doesn't have to have a deeper purpose.  (IMO)

I'm not questioning your opinion -- just the level of vehemence.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I agree that a lot of the disco was shallow fluff.  But it is still pick and choose.  There were some good disco songs.  I Will Survive, sung by Gloria Gaynor is the national anthem for women that have had or are having a tough unfortunate time in there lives.  I know some ladies who love this song.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The truth behind disco is simple and carried over to house music of the 80's & 90's. If your soul purpose is to dance and have fun out there, then you cannot ask for anything better. The structure of the music lends itself very well to that one specific action.

I think Zappa recorded a track called Disco Boy and the Who recorded a track called Sister Disco. I think both songs represent some of the disdain of the scene.

And to me, that is exactly what disco was - a scene. It was a gigantic industry which put a lot of money into a lot of people's pockets. It put smiles on a lot of people's faces and it took the Italian-American teen stereo-type to a completely new level. I guess we can thank Disco for the "Jersey Shore" Tongue out But hey - 35 years later, the attitude is still there. And if people still enjoy, good for them.

Zilla - I would disagree with you regarding the target audience for Rap. There are as many rap sub-genres out there as there are heavy metal sub-genres. They reach out to all different audiences and has grown as a musical artform more than what I believed was possible. I do not believe Rap is an off-shoot of Disco. Rap is a product of street life in the Bronx in the 70's. That is where it was born and having grown up in the Bronx, I always understood the need and point of it. I may not like it - but the music itself has grown tenfold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I just don't think the comparisons between disco and boy bands are all that accurate other than they are both ostensibly music to dance (or roller skate)
    to.

70s disco <-- /> 90s techno, maybe.... 

Disco didn't invent shallow, vainglorious people, and yet there was a certain decadence and freedom to the scene which, in cultural terms, should not be brushed off as though it were nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i have always hated disco -- the music itself and everything that goes with it -- and i always hated techno as well --  i love to dance but couldn't dance to that c r a p -- but i have to agree, that i will survive is a decent song - although i prefer cake's version to gloria's

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Agree with the idea the "disco scene" needs to be teased apart from the music itself.  Disco music was developed as dance music, and it served its purpose (I suppose it still does) and there were songs that did bring a lot of enjoyment on the dance floor.  

What's funny is that a musical production on Broadway, "Priscilla Queen of the Desert", recently opened, and the music is all disco-derived.  So I guess there's still plenty of nostalgia for the music (and money to be made from it) ha ha, you know, typical sell out mentality.  :D    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Agree with the idea the "disco scene" needs to be teased apart from the music itself.  Disco music was developed as dance music, and it served its purpose (I suppose it still does) and there were songs that did bring a lot of enjoyment on the dance floor.   What's funny is that a musical production on Broadway, "Priscilla Queen of the Desert", recently opened, and the music is all disco-derived.  So I guess there's still plenty of nostalgia for the music (and money to be made from it) ha ha, you know, typical sell out mentality.  :D    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I would say that the music in Priscilla, while being nostalgic, is also semi-historical.  It's really no secret that disco music and discotheques in general contributed in big ways toward the improved equality toward gay people that we now currently enjoy.  That the story has now come to Broadway is probably fait accompli...

For many people, I think that music represents a sense of empowerment they had previously only dreamt of.  Sadly, the music might be the ONLY empowerment for some people, but music cans till be a great refuge.  (Efforts like the "It Gets Better" campaign are also positive steps.)

Personally, I just dig some of the tunes.  "Boogie Man", "Le Freak" and "Stomp" are all electro-funk classics in my book.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Isn't it great that someone hijacked this thread into a "why I hate/don't hate Disco thread?"

I wonder who did that...

All I can think to say to the poster who was questioning my reference to
    phonies" is that I was not so much talking about the actually music ( repulsive as it is) but, I was talking about how Rock and Roll loves you as you are, bluejeans , tee-shirt, beat up, comfortable sneakers. To be Disco meant you needed to spend hours in front of a mirror, high heeled shoes, glitter, the obnoxious white belt, pompadour hairdo, you needed to be "dressed to impress" in those clubs. I could never do this.

When I watch all the old movies about how the WWII era young folks used to dance and dress to go to dances where Swing and Big Band was the featured music, I get the impression that this was not so superficial and phony. These kids generally liked dressing in suits and dresses and going dancing, not just to be "seen" in the disco. It seemed in the Disco era ,it was more important to be at the center of attention, the music was not the star, the dancers were the stars....the "Me" decade was in full swing and people were more concerned with style and looks than great music....and the more unique you looked the more you got noticed....this creates phony , false images of who we really are.

Me...I'm a rock'nroll kid. I'll always be a rock'nroll kid. If you don't like me in my jeans, tee-shirt and comfortable sneakers, too bad. I was not put here to impress anyone. I admire Neil Young because he has changed his music a bit experimented with it, but he's still a Rocker. He will always be a Rocker, flannel shirt, jeans with patches, sneakers. This is Neil, this is the real Neil, the only Neil...he is genuine, gives it to you straight , no bull. He is the honest to goodness living image of what a Rocker should be in his older years. Not slowing down, selling out or going away....still rockin' after all these years.

As Bob Seger once said..."you can come back, baby. Rock'nRoll never forgets." ...and he's right. But Disco will chew you up and leave you for dead, when the next fad comes around...boy bands!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Who stands in front of the mirror for hours?  "Hey Allie, Allie Pacino.  Attica, Attica, Attica ..."  I think I'm going to change my poster name from Cavsfan to Travolta II. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't think the comparisons between disco and boy bands are all that accurate other than they are both ostensibly music to dance (or roller skate) to. 70s disco <-- /> 90s techno, maybe....  Disco didn't invent shallow, vainglorious people, and yet there was a certain decadence and freedom to the scene which, in cultural terms, should not be brushed off as though it were nothing.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I am kind of leaning the same way here in my thought process as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Let's remember that the whole disco 70's scene started basically started in the gay clubs of Greenwich Village. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Zilla:

I was going to amend my earlier post to say that you're more than welcome to shoot flaming arrows at whatever you want -- that's what makes a blog interesting, afterall!

And as for highjacking this thread, it was a forced topic dropped in by BDC, so it was fairgame. 

See, the discussion of artificial boy bands was brought up in an artificially started thread -- perfect synergy, really.

8^)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Let's remember that the whole disco 70's scene started basically started in the gay clubs of Greenwich Village. 
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.

This is not to mean that everyone who was into disco was gay, but there was a new, exciting element to the culture that made it "cool" in some circles to dress up, dance and preen.  While there was a superficial nature to it, the art reflecting it was only partly superficial; the rest was an genuine mirror of the times. [ELO?]

Music/Art can only influence culture.  They can't create new cultural paradigms out of thin air.  Something always follows something else which followed something before that.

Or lest we forget that once upon a time, long-haired (for the time) english rock bands were treated VERY harshly in some areas of the country and even mocked for "looking like girls".

[P.S. - I'm reminded again of the brilliantly-played Don Cheadle character in "Boogie Nights" who for all his might couldn't seem to hit the right "look" at the right time.]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]All further I can say is this....  I was not so much as a hypothetical embryo when the Stones released "England's Newest Hitmakers." I just listened to it through and through. That embryonic albums is about 1000% to 10000% better than 95% of albums released presentlly as "music", in my humble opinion. And it was ...  mostly covers? And it's somewhere between five and twenty orders of magnitude better than anything any "boy band" has released. Ever.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I totally agree re: 'organic' vs. 'synthetic' music styles.  As mentioned, there's certainly plenty of bad music/art to compete with the good stuff.

Perhaps it goes without saying, but it's not just a coincidence that - upon that album's release and many, many more - there were no shortage of contemporaneous responses very similar to yours today.

I'm not discounting your entitled opinion...just pointing out that celebrating "classics" over "moderns" is practically a tradition in and of itself in music/art criticism. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

However,

...not all music made for dancing is necessarily bad sounding. Not all synthetic music is bad sounding either.

Disco just irritated me.

In case you couldn't tell.