The 5 greatest bands of all?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The 5 greatest bands of all?

This is born out of Jack Black's attention-grabbing statement about Led Zep being the best band of all time, better than the Beatles and the Stones.

I don't agree with Black, but giving it some thought I would probably accept Zep as the third-best band, behind only the Beatles and the Who.

To complete my Top 5 list, I have to include two other bands who are actually not among my personal favorites: the Stones and Pink Floyd. 

Does this make sense as a consensus list of the top 5 rock bands?

Is it possible that another band will emerge with this kind of stature?  Probably not, right?  And why is it that the greatest rock bands will forever be bands that began playing in the 1960's?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The 5 greatest bands of all?

One thing I like about this list is that the bands are all so different from each other.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would like to think that people could all agree on such things, but because this thing called "humanity" gives us all varied opinions, we have people who think American Idol or Jersey Shore are the best T.V. shows ever, for me it would be Star Trek, Mission Impossible and 24.

Then we get to music which has so much diversity, it boggles the mind. Even the advanced , sophisticated minds of intelligent guys like you and me , Mr. Soxnut.

You could base your "top 5" on success. You could base it on influence. You could simply base it on what your ears and brain tells you is great.

I'll say these are MY top 5 ( based on a mix of success, influence and my own opinion of what sounds great):

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

Deep Purple

Black Sabbath

Sadly, Led Zeppelin falls outside this group. And this is no slight to Mssrs. Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham...just that I would put them in the top 6 or 7...I just like my top 5 a little better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is so hard to actually do. 5 favorite bands is easier. It is almost impossible not to list the bands already given, but we always somehow sem to exclude bands from the 50's and 70's. Buddy Holly and the Crickets will forever in my mind be one of the most important musical acts to ever hit the stage and we certainly cannot discount Elvis, Lil' Ritchie & Chuck Berry. And when it comes to the 70's, Queen and the Clash also have to be considered.

In an attempt to be as objective as possible, my list is:

Beatles

Bob Dylan

The Who

Led Zeppelin

Queen

These 5 are immediately followed by:

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

Chuck Berry

Rolling Stones

Black Sabbath

Jimi Hendrix Experience 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The only band that mattered.. The Clash greatest ever for me. not even close.. But to each his/her own

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

There will never be a consensus on the greatest anything. I can't even come up with 5 favorite bands. Our small group here can't even agree. One problem is that the bands that come first in history have an advantage because those that come after will be seen as copies or influenced.

I could make a case for Booker T. and the MG's. They played on so many great records that it wuld be hard to list them all. I just don't go for the cliche that it  has to be the bands that gained the most fame or "rocked" the hardest or were the most innovative.

Also agree with Jess on the tendency to ignore the 50's. This is because the emphasis on bands did not really start until the 60's. In the 50's, individual performers were emphasized but it does not mean they didn't have great bands backing them.

Even The Beatles would not make a consensus list. I guess it really depends on how you define "great" We really need more specific criteria.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Even The Beatles would not make a consensus list. I guess it really depends on how you define "great" We really need more specific criteria.

I don't think I can define great in any objective way.  But I guess the criteria would include: degree of creativity and originality, magnitude of influence on other artists, musicianship, and overall quality of recorded material.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Agree with DD that determining criteria is kind of important.

The Stones and The Who have an advantage of longevity.  Which makes what The Beatles and Led Zep accomplished in 10-11 years more impressive, if only by that standard.  But does that mean we include the last 30 years of the Stones and Who output?  Because that would seem to dilute the overall results.  By that standard, Jimi Hendrix packed a lot of music into a very short time (as did the Allmans at the beginning, even though they kept going).

Also agree that choosing only 5 is a bit arbitrary.  Personally, I can point to my top, say, 20 favorites, and while my top 5 is fairly set, times and sequences do change.

I would also add a caveat re: singular artists, like Dylan or Young or Mitchell who have employed many different bands over the years.

And one more wrinkle: per DD, studio-based groups like the Hawks, Booker T & the MGs and the Funk Brothers do indeed exist in some rarified air, and they produced music in which the banner group ultimately takes credit for.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In order to narrow down the list, I might use a category like songwriting. This is still somewhat subjective, but would exclude those bands that only backed up artists who wrote their own songs or got their material from songwriters and in no way contributed to the songwriting. I'm not sure if we know for sure every band that would be excluded. This category would be one that could be demonstrated with much evidence as a great strength of The Beatles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

5 is a totally arbitrary number.  My only purpose for this thread was that I thought the feedback would be interesting.  And it is.  So I'm happy. :-)

I think if there was a poll conducted of a large group of music fans aged 25 or 30 and over there's a good chance this would be the top 5.  I think that's what I had in mind by the 'consensus top 5'.  If you opened the poll to all age groups it might be very different. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Also I meant to specifically exclude artists like Dylan and Hendrix.  Even though they obviously played with bands a lot, what I have in mind is bands in the sense of true collaborating units.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Also I meant to specifically exclude artists like Dylan and Hendrix.  Even though they obviously played with bands a lot, what I have in mind is bands in the sense of true collaborating units.

Can we hash out a list of bands that meet this criteria? This would be a good first step.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If you think this is bad / difficult, try looking at the process for classical music.  It's very comical to see people breakdown by era, because an entire century would be meaningless. :)

Otherwise, you see lists of the "greatest composers of all time" and they are amazingly and resoundingly similar, based on centuries of musical composition, not just decades, as we have in rock.  

No matter what list you look at, no matter how it breaks down, and no matter who creates it,  Beethoven will be at the top of the list 99% of the time.    Bach will almost always be in the top 5 as well, if not the top two.  It's crazy, with all of the composers to choose from, but these are steadfast rules of thumb.  Bach is considered the greatest Baroque composer, but also, one of the greatest of all time.  It happens.  

After that, you'll see lists play around with the same 10 or 12 names in different positions, and after that, a smattering of names from all over the spectrum.

Bottom line?

I don't think it's far-fetched, based on a standardized set of principles, to continue to see the Beatles at the top of the heap, on every list you find, as they are the modern, rock counterpart phenom of Beethoven.    Or the Rolling Stones.   Or Led Zeppelin.   

But it's astonishing how the breakdown begins to vary after that.    Some would put the Grateful Dead in the top 5.  I've seen the Smiths in the top 10, and U2, as well.  

We live in an age where critical insight and historical context get muddied up with opinion and personal taste.  I'm guilty of this myself, who isn't?    But you either take this seriously enough to read up on these bands, to see what the critical justification is for their ranking, or you do it according to personal taste and opinion.   They're both valid, as long as you acknowledge where you're coming from

Not sure this what you're looking for -- but it's my take.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I agree Yoga.. Like how could anyone leave the Beatles out of a top 5. Yet I would because I would just not consider them a top 5 band as far as my tastes go. I have a tough time going on what critics say or others say. When it comes to things like movies and music I can only judge but what impresses me or that I like.. Very hard.. Having sad that

1. The Clash
    2. The Pixies
    3. The Pogues
    4. The Smiths
    5. The Replacements

None would make any critics lists that I know of

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yoga, I see the point you are making, but I think that it also points up the problem of defining what a rock band is. A classical composer is a very specific category. It is only those who composed what is defined as classical music. A rock band is a bit harder to narrowly define. Is it only bands that performed rock music under a band name with no reference to an individual? If so, this does exclude bands that some may consider rock bands.

Also, a composer does one thing, compose music. Rock bands do more than one thing. They write songs, record songs, and play live concerts. If we were asked to pick the top 5 rock songwriters, the task would still be difficult but it would narrow down who qualifies for inclusion.

Hfx had something specific in his mind, but without articulating it we chose bands that he would not consider.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

If songwriting is one criteria, then Neil Young definitely has to be in the mix.  Aside from not being a band in and of himself, he's second only to Dylan in my mind in terms of longevity, quality, prolificness, and creativity.  The whole package.

Plus, the guy can seriously rock (when he wants to).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yoga, I see the point you are making, but I think that it also points up the problem of defining what a rock band is. A classical composer is a very specific category. It is only those who composed what is defined as classical music. A rock band is a bit harder to narrowly define. Is it only bands that performed rock music under a band name with no reference to an individual? If so, this does exclude bands that some may consider rock bands.

Also, a composer does one thing, compose music. Rock bands do more than one thing. They write songs, record songs, and play live concerts. If we were asked to pick the top 5 rock songwriters, the task would still be difficult but it would narrow down who qualifies for inclusion.

Hfx had something specific in his mind, but without articulating it we chose bands that he would not consider.

Agree, that my point was a bit off-target, especially in the overall definition of what constitutes a rock band (which Hfx did designate), per a framework, that does have a variance to it that composers don't have.   However ... 

We'd have to start another thread, and I don't have the depth of knowledge I'd like to have to get deeper in to the classical definitions, but some of your assumptions are not fully fleshed out, and therefore, aren't really accurate.   

Composers just "write music" ??   They didn't write Requium masses, choral compositions, including all of the soloists parts?   They didn't write operas, with full scores, orchestral as well as vocal parts?  Handel's Messiah.  No vocals?   Of course, a vast difference is that classical music is performed by other groups, not the composer, so again, I understand and see your point, and it's a good one.  

My main point was just trying to draw a paralell of difficulty, based on hundreds of years of music, across an international and broad spectrum, in determining "greatness or greatest" for a genre of music.   And you really haven't seen nothin' until you've seen classical music nerds discuss, if not argue about this.  They have even worse turf wars.   
    Thanks for the feedback.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I refuse to argue with any post here! I know I couldn't be objective based on MY taste in music.

ALL of your list's look good to  me!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My daughter has a very simple explanation for why the music she's growing up with isn't nearly as good as the music I grew up with.  She says my generation used up all the best ideas.  Makes perfect sense really.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

My daughter has a very simple explanation for why the music she's growing up with isn't nearly as good as the music I grew up with.  She says my generation used up all the best ideas.  Makes perfect sense really.

I once plugged my daughters iPod into my car stereo........................"once"

If it wasn't illegal to throw something out of your car at 65mph I would have thrown it out of the car!

I guess I lost it when the lyrics went something like this "her p***y tastes like filet mignon"

Nice huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

If it wasn't illegal to throw something out of your car at 65mph I would have thrown it out of the car!

I guess I lost it when the lyrics went something like this "her p***y tastes like filet mignon"

Nice huh?

I can relate.  When it comes to music I think easing of censorship has gone too far.  Sex and obscenity and profanity are so pervasive in the music they're listening to. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It just hit me. No mention of Mozart?

Led Zeppelin doesn't make my list at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, to take this one step further, isn't it that the music of today isn't making a statement, or even a bunch of fragmented statements?  It's not sending young audiences meaningful lyrics, or messages, and therefore, it doesn't stick.  How can it stick?   It has no substance.  (note: per Roger's comment, I guess it is sticking ... but not in a good way).      

Of course, there has always been music with weak, insipid lyrics, but that has never been the mainstay, as it is now.     Just thinking how classic rock was the mainstream music back then ... and compare what's mainstream now.   To think that Taylor Swift is considered a poet to her generation.  Cough.   This is depressing.  I'll stop.  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I don't think I can define great in any objective way.  But I guess the criteria would include: degree of creativity and originality, magnitude of influence on other artists, musicianship, and overall quality of recorded material.  

Led Zep gets low marks for originality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M&list=PL5F8571D0DD735D7E

Sections
Shortcuts