The B-52's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

The B-52's

Here's another band that grew up mainly in the 80's, although their first album came out in 79'. I've seen just about every mainstream band talked about here, and a few I never heard of. But I don't recall seeing any discussions ever on the B-52's.

I was never a huge fan of theirs, but liked them enough to keep giving them a try. I did see them in a small venue live in 83', friend of a friend had a free extra ticket so I went. By far the strangest crowd I ever saw a concert, to say the least. But the show was pretty good, the girls had their big bee hive hair styles and were slam dancing each other through out the show, they put on a fun show. IMO they jumped the shark in the mid 90's with "Love Shack" and the whole record, but made some decent albums in the 80's.

One of the more unique sounding and vissual bands I can think of. Just wondering what your thoughts are? Like, dislike, indifferent.      

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The B-52's

I hate 'Love Shack.'

It gets played way too much and is one of their weaker attempts, proving that radio programmers know little or nothing about what makes a post-Punk or Alternative band attractive to people who like this style music.

'Rock Lobster', now this is a good one.

I liked them alot back in the 80's, bought all the CDs, haven't really wanted to play any of them for quite some time.

Much like the other band from Athens , Ga., they were better before they became commercially acceptable. I always liked Fred as a frontman , he was sort of like David Byrne, in a way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

WHY DON"T YOU DANCE WITH ME, I AIN'T NO LIMBURGER

This song changed my life.  Their first 3 albums (especially the first) were fascinating and not like anything I had heard up until that time.  

Martian dance music.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rock Lobster and Planet Claire are masterpieces.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Especially "Planet Claire," which is really underrated.

"Well, she isn't!!!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Here's the thing about the B-52s:

If you're a teenage boy and you want to get laid, you'd damn well better learn to dance (or play the guitar). The B-52s played clever dance music that appealed to kids who simply weren't going to listen to Blondie, no matter how hot Deborah Harry kept trying to convince us she was.

At least, that's the way I remember it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to The B-52's:
    [QUOTE]Here's another band that grew up mainly in the 80's, although their first album came out in 79'. I've seen just about every mainstream band talked about here, and a few I never heard of. But I don't recall seeing any discussions ever on the B-52's. I was never a huge fan of theirs, but liked them enough to keep giving them a try. I did see them in a small venue live in 83', friend of a friend had a free extra ticket so I went. By far the strangest crowd I ever saw a concert, to say the least. But the show was pretty good, the girls had their big bee hive hair styles and were slam dancing each other through out the show, they put on a fun show. IMO they jumped the shark in the mid 90's with "Love Shack" and the whole record, but made some decent albums in the 80's. One of the more unique sounding and vissual bands I can think of. Just wondering what your thoughts are? Like, dislike, indifferent.      
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Disagree. While Love Shack may be annoying,  the rest of the album is pure genius and a real departure for them.-- There are some really strong songs there with Dry County and Deadbeat Club being the best IMO. It's their top selling album by far.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: The B-52's:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The B-52's : Disagree. While Love Shack may be annoying,  the rest of the album is pure genius and a real departure for them.-- There are some really strong songs there with Dry County and Deadbeat Club being the best IMO. It's their top selling album by far.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

i second that and also I think "Love Shack" is a fine song. My favorite song on the album is "Topaz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjyJ7pSUnYU

Sections
Shortcuts