The Best / Greatest Hits: Who's in / who defies the compilation treatment?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: The Best / Greatest Hits: Who's in / who defies the compilation treatment?

I might someday buy the greatest hits of the Village People or KC and the Sunshine Band just to watch them burn in my backyard.

Sorry David, the devil made me say these things. It's funny but he has some good ideas sometimes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I might someday buy the greatest hits of the Village People or KC and the Sunshine Band just to watch them burn in my backyard.

Sorry David, the devil made me say these things. It's funny but he has some good ideas sometimes.

Aw c'mon Zill, that hurts. Well, the Village People are no big deal but don't burn KC and the Sunshine Band. I love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2WXNsqfe8

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

And cross-linking to yoga's new thread today, Neil Young is an artist I learned to love mainly from Decade. I did pick up a few other albums of his but mainly that one collection made me a Neil Young fan for life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I guess I have a hangup about opinions in general. My opinion about the Rolling Stones could be called uninformed, because I haven't listened to any of their albums. So my opinion has little value in saying whether or not it suffices to just have their best of/hits. As for Graham Parker, I'm glad that I have most everything he's recorded so it's hard for me not to think everyone should have it all too.

As for Alison Krauss, yes I do like most of the songs on most of her albums up to Now That I've Found You: A Collection. I did buy most of her albums after that, but I haven't liked her song selections as much. There is always a gem or two on each album such as "So Long, So Wrong", "Looking In The Eyes of Love", "Forget About It", "Let Me Touch You For Awhile", and "New Favorite". I just preferred the song choices on the earlier albums. And yes, I did like some of the songs with just a male vocalist or an instumental tune.

But truly, it was Alison's beautiful singing that first got me hooked, and it was when the album Every Time You Say Goodbye was out. I love her version of Shawn Colvin's "I Don't Know Why", and her version of Karla Bonoff's "Lose Again". I pretty much got to like every song on that album.

My interest has waned because of what I feel have been lackluster albums recently (but I'm still buying them!), so I didn't really give as much thought to the live album as I would have in the past. But I would say it is probably very good. I have seen her live a couple of times and both were wonderful. At my age, I really enjoy a concert where the volume is not cranked up to distorting levels and the musicianship is sterling.

I just went to AK's website and played a sampling and it sounds great. You ought to give a listen to "A Man of Constant Sorrow" from that live album. It's a great song that was featured in great movie, O Brother, Where Art Thou? How can you not love that song? ;).

Well thanks to you my friend, I think I have another Christmas gift to ask for from my wife. She will be happy about that because she loves giving gifts and doesn't feel I have asked for enough yet. So I say go for it, get the live AK album and maybe, just maybe, you'll find you are getting turned on to some new songs.

I think you may a sparked an Alison Krauss renaissance for me!  

You made my day.  Happy to pay it forward.   :)    

It would be great fun if we both get hold of AK's "Live" album, and I am happy to know that you're inspired enough to put it on your holiday wish list.   

I took your advice and dropped into AK's website (thanks for the tip) and am officially hooked on the album ---  great resource to check out all the tracks, BTW.    I *love* "The Lucky One" (one of my faves) and many of the other tracks, as well as being glad there are lesser known ones (for me) on the album -- and it's TWO discs.  Cannot wait to get hold of it.  

Thanks for sharing.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Aw c'mon Zill, that hurts. Well, the Village People are no big deal but don't burn KC and the Sunshine Band. I love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2WXNsqfe8

KC --- AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang -- If I were to start a list of my least favorite bands (bands that had popularity and success), KC and the Sunshine Band would top the list.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Sections
Shortcuts