The Best Unheralded Musicians

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

The Best Unheralded Musicians

*** You know these people - the 'others', the "out-of-focus", the sidemen, the session players, the consummate professionals and MVPs who make great, classic bands more than the sum of their parts.  We might not always know their names or include them in our best-of lists, but it's time to give credit where it's due:

Mike Campbell - lead guitar, The Heartbreakers
    Benmont Tench - keyboards, The Heartbreakers
    Gary Richrath - lead guitar, REO Speedwagon
    Allen Woody - bass, Gov't Mule
    Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - guitar, Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers
    Tina Weymouth - bass, Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club
    Terry Kath - guitar/vocals, Chicago
    Bev Bevan - drums, The Move/ELO
    Maureen Tucker - drums, Velvet Underground
    Paul Simonon - bass, The Clash
    Gregg Rolie - keyboard/vocals, Santana/Journey
    John Frusciante - guitar, Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Jim Gordon - drums/keyboards, Derek & The Dominos/Traffic, etc.
    Roy Bittan - keyboards, The E Street Band
    Chris Layton & Tommy Shannon, drums & bass, (i.e. Double Trouble)
    Dana Colley, saxophone, Morphine

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: The Best Unheralded Musicians

In Response to The Best Unheralded Musicians:
    *** You know these people - the 'others', the "out-of-focus", the sidemen, the session players, the consummate professionals and MVPs who make great, classic bands more than the sum of their parts.  We might not always know their names or include them in our best-of lists, but it's time to give credit where it's due: Mike Campbell - lead guitar, The Heartbreakers Benmont Tench - keyboards, The Heartbreakers Gary Richrath - lead guitar, REO Speedwagon Allen Woody - bass, Gov't Mule Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - guitar, Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers Tina Weymouth - bass, Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club Terry Kath - guitar/vocals, Chicago Bev Bevan - drums, The Move/ELOMaureen Tucker - drums, Velvet Underground Paul Simonon - bass, The Clash Gregg Rolie - keyboard/vocals, Santana/Journey John Frusciante - guitar, Red Hot Chili Peppers Jim Gordon - drums/keyboards, Derek & The Dominos/Traffic, etc. Roy Bittan - keyboards, The E Street Band Chris Layton & Tommy Shannon, drums & bass, (i.e. Double Trouble) Dana Colley, saxophone, Morphine
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Great list. Nice to see you mention Bev Bevan; I'm a fan of The Move. Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench are part of one of the best rock bands ever. Jim Gordon was a huge contributor to one of the greatest double albums ever (see my post on another thread).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't know about "best" , but here are some that I like.

Nick Lowe
    Nils Lofgren
    Gerry McAvoy (Rory Gallagher bass player)
    Les Dudek
    Brinsley Schwarz,Bob Andrews, Martin Belmont,Andrew Bodnar,Stephen Goulding (aka the Rumour)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Nicky Hopkins, Ronnie Laine, Earl Slick, George Lynch, Reb Beach, Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Martin Barre (Tull) and Punky Meadows.

There was a percussionist. I think his name was Ray (I don't know}. He was Elton John's only backing musician during Elton's one man show in the 70's. He has also played with Ringo's All-Star Band. That boy could play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Joey Santiago - guitar, Pixies 
    Eric Avery - bass, Janes Addiction (made that band)

and in a slight twist of the OP

Jimmy Vaughn - Never got the acclaim of his younger brother, but that man could make one note kill, something Stevie never could do.  The better of the Vaughn bros. IMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Davey Johnstone, lead guitarist for Elton John's band.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: The Best Unheralded Musicians:
    I don't know about "best" , but here are some that I like. Nick Lowe Nils Lofgren Gerry McAvoy (Rory Gallagher bass player) Les Dudek Brinsley Schwarz,Bob Andrews, Martin Belmont,Andrew Bodnar,Stephen Goulding (aka the Rumour)
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I love Nick Lowe. And the Rumour is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nice choices!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Reb Beach, George Lynch, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Best Unheralded Musicians : I love Nick Lowe. And the Rumour is one of my all-time favorite bands. Nice choices!
    Posted by devildavid

The solo album "Max" was out of print for many years. It recently was re-issued much to my delight as I love this album and needed it very badly in my collection. I had been getting by with a CD recorded from a vinyl LP for about 15 years, it's great to finally listen to it without all the pops and scratchiness of vinyl.

Also , I would like to add the Attractions, the band that makes Elvis Costello's 1st three LP's absolutely flawless and easily the best 3 albums ever by any rock act....written, performed and recorded to perfection.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Added:

Elliott Easton of The Cars - truly a master of the 20-second guitar solo; I always thought he was the reason The Cars were much more of a rock band than new wavers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: The Best Unheralded Musicians : The solo album "Max" was out of print for many years. It recently was re-issued much to my delight as I love this album and needed it very badly in my collection. I had been getting by with a CD recorded from a vinyl LP for about 15 years, it's great to finally listen to it without all the pops and scratchiness of vinyl. Also , I would like to add the Attractions, the band that makes Elvis Costello's 1st three LP's absolutely flawless and easily the best 3 albums ever by any rock act....written, performed and recorded to perfection.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Good call, zilla...

...however, I do believe that on "My Aim Is True", Elvis was backed by Clover and not The Attractions.  No biggie...

(Paradoxically, Clover would go on to form the nucleus of The News, Huey Lewis' backing band....)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Al Kooper. He did so many things including starting out as one of the original members of "Blood Sweat and Tears. He also played on a lot of tracks including organ on "Like a Rolling Stone." Their second album after he left has a few underated songs on it. "Sometimes in Winter",God bless the child", "More and more."  Graham Parker and the Rumor were also kind of underappreciated. Not that this is Al Kooper's greatest writing but he also wrote the theme song for the 60's Saturday morning kids show "The Bannana Splits". Tra la la la la la la. Tra la la la la la la.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Randy Rhoads

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

John Sykes - Co-wrote and played on Whitesnakes best tunes and his band Blue Murder could rock. He can shred with anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsZ4EzSn80

Another is Jake E. Lee - replaced the late Randy Rhodes in Ozzy's band and then went on to form Badlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IepGiupfguM

Check out the clips.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

John Sykes - Co-wrote and played on Whitesnakes best tunes and his band Blue Murder could rock. He can shred with anyone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfsZ4EzSn80 Another is Jake E. Lee - replaced the late Randy Rhodes in Ozzy's band and then went on to form Badlands . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IepGiupfguM Check out the clips.
    Posted by jesseyeric

John Sykes also played on Thin Lizzy's Thunder and Lightning album which is an overlooked hard rock classic.  And yeah, this guy has some incredible chops.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Another mostly unheralded musician I was thinking of today - Ronnie Montrose.

Montrose played on Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out at Night Album, so it's his guitar you hear on Frankenstein, Free Ride etc.

After that he formed a band with Sammy Hagar, just called Montrose.  Their first, self-titled album is a very strong hard-rock album.

After that group split up Montrose formed a band called Gamma with Davey Pattison on vocals.  (Pattison was later heard on some of Robin Trower's albums.)  The Gamma albums have a lot of top-notch stuff on them, especially the second one with the imaginative title Gamma 2.  Metal fans should check out tunes like Skin and Bone and Four Horsemen from this album.  Some bone-crunching stuff.  Also there is a gorgeous slow song called Voyager featuring a beautiful long solo by Montrose.  The guy can play.

Montrose also has a bunch of interesting solo albums. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

David Lindley. Played a lot of different instruments with Jackson Browne for many years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

This is a rock crowd, but I'm going to go with Paul Geremia.  Years of heavy drinking are starting to show,  but the Rhode Island native has long been the absolute master of the acoustic blues and ragtime genres.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

One of the most underrated drummers is Sammy Piazza. Was with the Turtles and the Jefferson Airplane/Starship also. He may have played in some other bands. Yes Hot Tuna also.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Mike Pinder, Melatron

Ian Stewart, Piano

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

RINGO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

In Response to The Best Unheralded Musicians:
    *** You know these people - the 'others', the "out-of-focus", the sidemen, the session players, the consummate professionals and MVPs who make great, classic bands more than the sum of their parts.  We might not always know their names or include them in our best-of lists, but it's time to give credit where it's due: Mike Campbell - lead guitar, The Heartbreakers Benmont Tench - keyboards, The Heartbreakers Gary Richrath - lead guitar, REO Speedwagon Allen Woody - bass, Gov't Mule Jeff "Skunk" Baxter - guitar, Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers Tina Weymouth - bass, Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club Terry Kath - guitar/vocals, Chicago Bev Bevan - drums, The Move/ELO Maureen Tucker - drums, Velvet Underground Paul Simonon - bass, The Clash Gregg Rolie - keyboard/vocals, Santana/Journey John Frusciante - guitar, Red Hot Chili Peppers Jim Gordon - drums/keyboards, Derek & The Dominos/Traffic, etc. Roy Bittan - keyboards, The E Street Band Chris Layton & Tommy Shannon, drums & bass, (i.e. Double Trouble) Dana Colley, saxophone, Morphine
    Posted by Mattyhorn

A solid list. 

I would have put Allen Woody with the Allmans.  More years with them and probably better known for being with them....IMO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Terry Reid, very good guitar player and great voice. Jimmy Page wanted him to be lead singer when he formed the New Yardbirds which became Led Zeppelin, but he wanted a solo career which never got beyond a couple hits. He recommended Robert Plant and John Bonham to Page when he turned him down.

He also turned down an offer to join Deep Purple.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Oops, I didn't read the premise of the thread closely when I made my first response.  A thousand pardons. 

So, switching back on topic, sort of.  I met John Paul Jones at an Old Time music camp down South 2 summers ago.  On one hand it was tres cool, and on the other, it was "just" the bass player.  Since then I've had a series of people tell me that he was the musical brains of the band.   The first time I heard someone say that I burst out laughing.  But I've heard it a few times more, and some of these guys are/were hard core Zeppelin fans and I never was. So now I'm thinking it might even be true.  Really, can this be true?

He WAS a pretty good mandolin player.  And except for some keyboards at the end of week concert that was all I saw him playing.    So he knows his way around alot of instruments.   Early in the week I kept hearing everyone whispering "The bass player from Led Zeppelin is here".  Reminded me of that old Bugs Bunny cartoon ("Leopold.  Leopold").  And sometimes the whispers were confused ("the drummer from LZ is here". To which I'd say "I thought he was dead.  Choked on his own vomit, no? Or was that someone elses vomit?" )

In any case, one of the guitar players I hung out with was travelling with JP, so late one night I did meet him.  Small guy,  close cropped hair these days, and very quiet.  His wife was a hoot though. 

Okay, what the h3ll was this thread about again?  (Sorry, way too much coffee this morning for yours truly...)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Bob Mould (Husker DU, Sugar)
    already Mentioned Joey Santiago (Pixies)

Sections
Shortcuts