The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock

I don't know about you, but every time I hear, "She Talks to Angels" or "Hard to Handle"  or any number of other Black Crowes' songs, I crank up the volume.  I often forget they're not one of the older classic rock bands.  They've been called a Southern rock revivalist band, as they worshipped at the altar of that 70's retro sound.  

Hit or miss maybe?  

The Black Crowes came on the music horizon when 'grunge' bands ruled as music was heading into the 1990's.  The Black Crowes, then, went against the grain during that era, arriving with a more classic, bluesy, R&B, arena, b-o-ogie-esque RnR sound.  They've played with and opened for some of the most prominent RnR bands such as The Grateful Dead (once), Tom Petty, Govt Mule, Motley Crue, and Oasis, to name a few.  They've changed members, but I believe two of the founding members have remained a stable force, the Robinson brothers. 

The height of their fame was in the mid-90's, with Chris Robinson as a very popular and likable frontman, securing their popularity.  Their decline was rapid by the late 90's, and as their commercial success with their albums failed, and they became a bit of a cliche touring band.  Following their hiatus in the early 2000's, they are back with renewed success.  

What do you think of this throw-back band?   Were they on your radar in the 90's?   Are they now? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock

Love these guys.  But I'm not sure if they owe more to Southern rock or to the Rolling Stones.  They're pretty diversified, really.  The live album they did with Jimmy Page was excellent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

See also: The Faces - their stylistic ancestors in many ways.

LOVE the Crowes...one of my most frequently seen rock acts, and I've never seen a bad show.  Rich Robinson is one of my favorite slide players on a purely visceral level, and Chris is a blooze belter of some regard. 

There's something enjoyably ragged and free about their playing, especially live, and while their later albums were kind of hit-or-miss, there was always a redemptive quality and a notion of staying true to their roots.  I give them credit for realizing their limitations and not trying to experiment too much for its own sake. 

Beyond that, they've got some killer tunes:  Wiser Time, Black Moon Creeping, Thick N' Thin, My Morning Song, Goodbye Daughters..., High Head Blues, Descending, etc.

Incidentally, I believe they're on hiatus since last year. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock:
    See also: The Faces - their stylistic ancestors in many ways. LOVE the Crowes...one of my most frequently seen rock acts, and I've never seen a bad show.    Beyond that, they've got some killer tunes:  Wiser Time, Black Moon Creeping, Thick N' Thin, My Morning Song, Goodbye Daughters..., High Head Blues, Descending, etc. Incidentally, I believe they're on hiatus since last year. 
    Posted by MattyScornD
    On hiatus again, okay, good to know.   

They are so *not* trendy.  They must be fun to see perform.  I suppose they would be a great act to see at a rock festival venue.  

Forgot to mention one of their absolute best: "Jealous Again"  -- classic status now and I'll never tire of that song.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Forgot to mention one of their absolute best: "Jealous Again"  -- classic status now and I'll never tire of that song.  
    Posted by yogafriend

That's one of the songs that reminds me so much of the Stones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Nothing to say but - D*mn great band.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

l

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

one of the first albums I ever got was a gift from my brother, a double disc of a live show where Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes the entire song.  Tons of songs from both iconic bands.

Made me really love the Lemon song.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

one of the first albums I ever got was a gift from my brother, a double disc of a live show where Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes the entire song.  Tons of songs from both iconic bands. Made me really love the Lemon song.
    Posted by phsmith8

The version of the Lemon Song on that album is killer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I always liked them, but then again Lynyrd Skynyrd was my favorite band in the late '70s.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

one of the first albums I ever got was a gift from my brother, a double disc of a live show where Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes the entire song.  Tons of songs from both iconic bands. Made me really love the Lemon song.
    Posted by phsmith8

They're another example of it being hard to believe a band has lasted for close to 20 years (granted, they went on hiatus and seem to be on one now, but still ...) they have universal appeal and I hope they slog through whatever and keep coming back strong.   Glad you could break away from Radiohead for a while.  Just kidding. :)

There is so much, so many bands.  Using *influence* is different from trying to clone, and they do this extremely well.   Damn hot band.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock : On hiatus again, okay, good to know.    They are so *not* trendy.  They must be fun to see perform.  I suppose they would be a great act to see at a rock festival venue.   Forgot to mention one of their absolute best: "Jealous Again"  -- classic status now and I'll never tire of that song.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Their first three albums were really masterful, if only because few bands were playing that type of throwback bluesy rock n' roll (not even the stones) at the time.  Add those always-present shades of gospel, and you have a rock show-revival unlike most any other.

Plus, they were able to meld easily with the jam band scene at the time, even though they weren't nearly as given to overlong, extended jams like peers such as, say Blues Traveler, Govt Mule or Widespread Panic (all awesome, IMO).  I think part of what makes the Crowes good is knowing when to end a song while also letting it flow naturally into the next one.

On a personal level, the first concert my wife and I attended together was The Black Crowes at the House Of Blues in Orlando (Bare Jr. opened).  It was our third date, and we've been together ever since.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Black Crowes: Revivalists of Southern rock : Their first three albums were really masterful, if only because few bands were playing that type of throwback bluesy rock n' roll (not even the stones) at the time.  Add those always-present shades of gospel, and you have a rock show-revival unlike most any other. Plus, they were able to meld easily with the jam band scene at the time, even though they weren't nearly as given to overlong, extended jams like peers such as, say Blues Traveler, Govt Mule or Widespread Panic (all awesome, IMO).  On a personal level, the first concert my wife and I attended together was The Black Crowes at the House Of Blues in Orlando (Bare Jr. opened).  It was our third date, and we've been together ever since.
    Posted by MattyScornD
    That's an awesome memory maker and sweet music connection.  :)  
    I used to have a similar fond memory with an Allison Krauss concert, but my (now) ex cheated on me and wrecked the memory (well, he distorted the memory is more like it - ha ha) but I still love Krauss, and that's all that matters now.  I should have known that r/l was doomed -- his taste in music was marginal at best.  :P 
    PS Funny memory is that I took some of his CDs when I moved out and never returned them.  Booyah.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

I was like, fourteen or something when I got their live cd.  Maybe even twelve

DEF wasn't dating anyone (well, besides sitting with them at lunch and things like that)...

ha

Sections
Shortcuts