The Black Keys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Black Keys

Invoked by popular demand...(apologies if there's a dupe thread somewhere)

...and living, rocking, grooving proof that there's plenty of outstanding rock music in our current age.

(Plus, yours truly has tix for Tonight's show at the Garden and is pretty f%#*ing happy about it...!!) 

These two guys from Ohio are well-known now, but have been in the game for at least 10 years.  I first heard them on the Rescue Me show/soundtrack ("I'll Be Your Man") and was hooked.  Instantly and Forever.

Their most recent disc "El Camino" dropped Dec. of last year - their 7th overall and a culmination of sorts of the style, attitude, and aesthetic they have stubbornly held to for a longer time than most realize...even as they stretch and challenge themselves creatively with each new venture.

What impresses me about them is the innate understanding they seem to have: rock n' roll ain't rocket science.  And if the hooks work, the riffs are amped, and the mood ripe, there is a timelessness that transcends the format and forces (yet again) the art form to look at itself honestly and be willing to start all over again.

Partial mix for further listening:

I'll Be Your Man
    Thickfreakness
    Psychotic Girl
    10 A.M. Automatic
    Modern Times
    I Got Mine
    Set You Free
    When The Lights Go Out
    Everywhere I Go (Junior Kimbrough cover)
    The Wicked Messenger (Dylan cover)
    Aeroplane Blues
    Next Girl
    Ten-Cent Pistol
    Nova Baby
    Run Right Back
    Gold On The Ceiling

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: The Black Keys

Nice, thanks.   You began mentioning them quite some time ago in discussions of new and emerging music.

It was clear from the interview that was in the Globe last week that they had an upcoming show (they seem unphased at the idea they now play in the arena venues).  They're both pretty young, considering they've been kicking around for 10 years, give or take.  

You'll have to post a review of the show.  Hope it lives up to expectations.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: The Black Keys:
    [QUOTE]Nice, thanks.   You began mentioning them quite some time ago in discussions of new and emerging music. It was clear from the interview that was in the Globe last week that they had an upcoming show (they seem unphased at the idea they now play in the arena venues).  They're both pretty young, considering they've been kicking around for 10 years, give or take.   You'll have to post a review of the show.  Hope it lives up to expectations.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I'm excited.  Just two years ago, I saw them open for Pearl Jam at MSG, now they're headliners.  Fabulous.

Also interested to see openers Arctic Monkeys.  I liked last year's LP, and they're kind of new to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

All I have so far is the Brothers album, which is great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Sold Out Madison Square Garden! Tix available at TD Garden........GREAT band (I've mentioned them here recently) Great live "ROCK" sound....I see a U2 type following as they grow more popular (IMHO).....they have a "real" sound versus "produced" sound.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to The Black Keys:
    [QUOTE]Invoked by popular demand...(apologies if there's a dupe thread somewhere) ...and living, rocking, grooving proof that there's plenty of outstanding rock music in our current age. (Plus, yours truly has tix for Tonight's show at the Garden and is pretty f%#*ing happy about it...!!)  These two guys from Ohio are well-known now, but have been in the game for at least 10 years.  I first heard them on the Rescue Me show/soundtrack ("I'll Be Your Man") and was hooked.  Instantly and Forever. Their most recent disc "El Camino" dropped Dec. of last year - their 7th overall and a culmination of sorts of the style, attitude, and aesthetic they have stubbornly held to for a longer time than most realize...even as they stretch and challenge themselves creatively with each new venture. What impresses me about them is the innate understanding they seem to have: rock n' roll ain't rocket science.  And if the hooks work, the riffs are amped, and the mood ripe, there is a timelessness that transcends the format and forces (yet again) the art form to look at itself honestly and be willing to start all over again. Partial mix for further listening: I'll Be Your Man Thickfreakness Psychotic Girl 10 A.M. Automatic Modern Times I Got Mine Set You Free When The Lights Go Out Everywhere I Go (Junior Kimbrough cover) The Wicked Messenger (Dylan cover) Aeroplane Blues Next Girl Ten-Cent Pistol Nova Baby Run Right Back Gold On The Ceiling
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Cool - I'm looking for some new music and I haven't heard more than 2-3 songs from these guys so I'll do a little exploring now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hope to see a review of the show today, or perhaps tomorrow -- depending on the forces of nature (like being awake).   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Hope to see a review of the show today, or perhaps tomorrow -- depending on the forces of nature (like being awake).   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Review:

They kicked a$$.

The End.

;))

Here's the setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-black-keys/2012/td-banknorth-garden-boston-ma-53dedf25.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The new album "El Camino" is GREAT!

.....got my kid's hooked

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Black Keys : ....... well the next time they're in the area..
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I suspect you'll get your chance in due time.

Worth the wait....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Damn. These guys are GOOD. - WDYWN & His Wife
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I know, right.  My wife is also a fan, although she graciously yielded to my buddy for the show at the garden.

She made it very clear that she won't miss the next one.

Incidentally, my wife is the one who brought home the seminal soundtrack that got me hooked.  (We're mutual enablers on many levels.  :P )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I am savoring my last months of being totally cool in the eyes of my 12-year-old drumming son:  I downloaded El Camino for him yesterday.  

Me:  "So, you think it's good?" 
    Son:  "No, I think it's GREAT!!!"

Probably won't be long before nothing I suggest is cool to him, but for now, I am in!  ;)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]They're a nice, enjoyable throwback -- but a rehash -- nothing new there -- let's not get all choked up.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Not a rehash...A resurgence.

Difference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to The Black Keys:
    [QUOTE]Invoked by popular demand...(apologies if there's a dupe thread somewhere) ...and living, rocking, grooving proof that there's plenty of outstanding rock music in our current age. (Plus, yours truly has tix for Tonight's show at the Garden and is pretty f%#*ing happy about it...!!)  These two guys from Ohio are well-known now, but have been in the game for at least 10 years.  I first heard them on the Rescue Me show/soundtrack ("I'll Be Your Man") and was hooked.  Instantly and Forever. Their most recent disc "El Camino" dropped Dec. of last year - their 7th overall and a culmination of sorts of the style, attitude, and aesthetic they have stubbornly held to for a longer time than most realize...even as they stretch and challenge themselves creatively with each new venture. What impresses me about them is the innate understanding they seem to have: rock n' roll ain't rocket science.  And if the hooks work, the riffs are amped, and the mood ripe, there is a timelessness that transcends the format and forces (yet again) the art form to look at itself honestly and be willing to start all over again. Partial mix for further listening: I'll Be Your Man Thickfreakness Psychotic Girl 10 A.M. Automatic Modern Times I Got Mine Set You Free When The Lights Go Out Everywhere I Go (Junior Kimbrough cover) The Wicked Messenger (Dylan cover) Aeroplane Blues Next Girl Ten-Cent Pistol Nova Baby Run Right Back Gold On The Ceiling
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Saw them for the first time Friday night at Coachella. Great live act.  They played a blues infused Rock set that just kicked a**s. Their enthusiasm on stage was so contagious, that it filtered into the crowd, and created an unforgetable evening. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The Black Keys : Saw them for the first time Friday night at Coachella. Great show.  They played a blues infused Rock set that just kicked a**s. Their enthusiasm on stage was so contagious, that it filtered into the crowd, and created an unforgetable evening. They are very good. Big time highlight of the 3 day event.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Outstanding!!

And that's saying something, given the heavy hitters in that lineup.

Sounds like you had a great experience overall...been anxious to get out there to Indio for some time now...maybe next year....

Sections
Shortcuts