The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon

I know there are lots of Zevon fans who post here.

I just finished reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon" by Crystal Zevon, his former wife and close friend until the day he died.

I had always heard of his, shall we say, eccentricities.  This book captures his life, warts and all, with great clarity and balance.  When he was bad, he was very bad - to an extreme I had no idea.  I was lucky I didn't meet the man until 1998, after he had been legitimately sober for 10 years.  He was always very genial with me and we had several decent conversations.  The book says he was bending over backwards for radio folks to try to resusitate his career.  But he seemed sincere to me.  And I always loved his music regardless.

Has anyone else read this book?  I highly recommend it. 

Some very candid observations from his friends and from Warren himself out of his diary. His jealousies of people like Jackson Browne are intense and sadly misplaced because they were the people who were trying to help him the most.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon

Many have used the word 'genius' to describe the man's talent, and even a cursory view at the many stellar musicians who have helped him throughout his career should be testament enough to an artist who could turn a phrase with the best of them and yet always retain his sense of humor.

The book sounds like a fascinating tale.  I may have to read it once I'm done with the autobiography of another legendary artist who loved to indulge, Keith Richards' Life (also highly recommended).

Thanks for the tip, shmangell....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Keep on writing, writing, writing Mister Warren Zevon, keep on writing , writing , writing, 'til you clear your name."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I tried to buy this book last weekend in my travels, but no luck.  I wanted to see if I could pick it up in a "brick and mortar" store so I could start reading it right away.  I'll have to check a few more places; otherwise I'll order it online.

The fact that Zevon was a (bit of a) degenerate just made me love him even more.  However, it's not as though I think that lifestyle does not come at a price, as it did for him.  

BTW, for anyone else who is interested, this book is available in e-book format for your immediate reading pleasure. 

Sections
Shortcuts