The Eagles: Real or Imagined?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Eagles: Real or Imagined?

I did not grow up with the Eagles playing in my CD player.  I have read and seen repeated comments about the Eagles as one of the definitive bands of the 1970's era.  What was the key to their popularity?  

This is not in terms of album sales, but in terms of defining the music of that era.  Is it because they blended elements of soft country and jazz with rock, and created a new sound?  Did they shape other bands and sounds of the 70's by breaking through a pop music boundary?  Were they really that ground-breaking?   Did they rule the radio airwaves because they appealed to the "lowest common denominator" or were they really innovative? 

Supposedly, "the Eagles spoke to the life and times of the 1970's. Took the mantle of country rock from the Byrds and scored huge hits - and then Hotel California really captured the post 1960's disillusionment of the 1970's - the hangover of the love generation realizing Utopia is not to be had as conceived in 1967 - the ultimate disappointment of drugs and free love - the downer when you figure you have to grow up - but try to hold onto your youth, and find those efforts are not consequence free."  

If the Eagles were keyed into that time in history, is their music really timeless?  Does it seem dated to you now?  Anyone a fan during, after, or since the height of their popularity?  I should say, in general, I'm not sure I really "get" the Eagles. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: The Eagles: Real or Imagined?

They broke up at just the right time. 

They had some good songs, but nothing great until Hotel California, which is a true classic.  I love both versions - electric and acoustic.

They followed it up with "The Long Run", which is kind of schlocky, and then broke up.

I think some people allow Hotel California to define the band, but I think they caught lightning in a bottle with that song.  I think it was the exception to their other hits.  I googled the Eagles because I couldn't remember the name of their last album before they broke up.  I was surprised to see the other songs that they did, which are good, but not in the same neighborhood as HC. 

Take Hotel California out of the picture, and they aren't that different from "Bread" or "Chicago" without the horns.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Having the great pleasure of being a teenager in the early 70's , I can tell you that Rock'n'Roll was just coming out of it's infancy and becoming a major force. The world of Rock music was exploding with variety. You had, Heavy Metal, Prog Rock, Southern Rock, Blues, Jazz-fusion, Folk-Rock, Pop Rock, Soft Rock, Power Pop, and later Punk and New Wave.

The Eagles were one of a whole bunch of groups making terrific music. There was so much to choose from and everybody could find a style that suited them.

The monster groups of the Sixties, Beatles, Stones, the Who , Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, Cream ,Dylan, Hendrix Experience, were either gone, reforming or reworking their style. Flower Power was dead, it died at Altamont. Harder, Heavier sounds were emerging , but a softer sound was dominating the airwaves. 

The Eagles were not that important as a band to the history of Rock. But, they were good. They wrote some terrific songs. They made an awesome concept album based on the old west and outlaws. They had some great album tracks to compliment the successful singles, But , they were one of many, many rock bands of that era who would be "classic" rock bands. Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Bowie, Bad Company, Foghat, Chicago, ELP, ELO, Black Sabbath, Jefferson Starship, CSNY, and the list goes on and on.

A great time to be alive and be a rock music fan. It would only get better in the late 70's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

By the way Yoga, if you did grow up with the Eagles...it wouldn't be on your CD player.

It would've been with a needle on a turntable or a cassette in a tape player.

You know, primitive times...the stone ages.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I was never a huge Eagles fan but I believe the bottom line is they had a bunch of songs that people liked.  Simple as that.  They are one of those bands that people who are not music freaks (the easy listening type) all seem to enjoy.As far as writing about them, it would be hard for a critic to write them off as just another band when said band has the biggest selling album of all time (greatest hits).  It seemed like I always saw that album at someone’s house.  And before everyone starts pouncing how it is not the biggest selling album of all time, let me clarify.  It’s considered the biggest selling album of all time because when a double album sells, it gets counted as two album sales.  If you notice, a lot of the albums on the biggest sales list are double greatest hits albums.  So, you might hear people say that thriller is the biggest selling album, and it basically is, but “officially”,. It’s the Eagles.  I suspect that’s why you will never see the White Album condensed to one CD.  Don’t want to lose those stats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The Eagles: Real or Imagined?:
    They broke up at just the right time.  They had some good songs, but nothing great until Hotel California, which is a true classic.  I love both versions - electric and acoustic. They followed it up with "The Long Run", which is kind of schlocky, and then broke up. I think some people allow Hotel California to define the band, but I think they caught lightning in a bottle with that song.  I think it was the exception to their other hits.  I googled the Eagles because I couldn't remember the name of their last album before they broke up.  I was surprised to see the other songs that they did, which are good, but not in the same neighborhood as HC.  Take Hotel California out of the picture, and they aren't that different from "Bread" or "Chicago" without the horns.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Personally I disagree, and I think that in fact 'Desperado' is their best album and that it is a fantastic album.  It's a concept album about outlaws and the Old West.  The title track and 'Tequila Sunrise' are well known but there are many other great tracks like 'Twenty-One', 'Out of Control', 'Outlaw Man', and so on.  Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner were integral parts of the band then and they added a whole other dimension with the banjo and mandolin flavorings.

I also think that Don Henley is an extremely talented songwriter and that he confirmed it with his solo albums.  Glenn Frey, not so much.

Don Felder and Joe Walsh added a lot of great rock guitarwork when they joined the band.

I saw them live a few years ago and I thought they put on a first-rate show.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hotel California and Frampton Comes Alive are two good albums that for some reason went ballistic with teenagers. Saw both of them at MSG about 4 months apart. Neither one of them impressed me all that much except for the fact that Joe Walsh rulez. I think this is where I went punk!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

they were a backing band for one of the female rockers in the game we are playing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

That has to be Linda Ronstadt?  :)   Hope I got that right. 

Interesting comments. Great, thanks, I enjoyed all of them.

I do think this is an interesting commentary on our continuing conversation about the radio, not just for listening, but for learning about music back in the day.  ha ha.  Seriously, the Eagles had so many single hits, and must have been on the radio station rotations 24/7, so they had amazing visibility once they caught fire.  So many of their songs are truly radio-friendly, that has to have aided their rise in popularity.  And since radio is an inexpensive medium, anyone could afford a radio, even if you never bought an album back then, you would have known the music of the Eagles. 

I had read that their "best of" album (1971-1975?) was the all-time grossing album and my jaw dropped over that, so it does help to see that the double album accounts for the way the stats are derived. 

Peter Frampton's "Show Me the Way" does seem like a good complement to the Eagles' style.   What was his other song?   "Hey, baby, I love your way" ??  Can't picture jessey at an Eagles concert now, but back then I'm sure he was there to check out the chicks, if nothing more.   :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I know they are a group, but to me they seemed more like a collection of really talented guys. 3 or 4 of them most likely would have made it on there own as solo acts or headlined their own band. They neeed each other but they didn't really need each other. Together they made some great music that will last forever. The Beatles aside, I can't think of another group that fits the bill I described, I'm sure a few of you can come up with others.

I agree jessey, Joe Walsh rulez! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Freshman year in college - first experience with people that had REAL "hi-fi" equipment.  The first demonstration of the person who was generally acknowledged to be the front-runner in that regard was the start of the title track from "One of These Nights".  I was justly impressed.

But I like Hotel California better as an album, as well as Henley's first couple of solo efforts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I know they are a group, but to me they seemed more like a collection of really talented guys. 3 or 4 of them most likely would have made it on there own as solo acts or headlined their own band. They neeed each other but they didn't really need each other. Together they made some great music that will last forever. The Beatles aside, I can't think of another group that fits the bill I described, I'm sure a few of you can come up with others. I agree jessey, Joe Walsh rulez! 
    Posted by newman09

Haven't heard from you lately , I was concerned.

Possibly Crosby , Stills, Nash and Young. These guys did make many solo albums and Crosby Nash teamed up to make a few on their own.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I was one of those many who purchased Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975back in my college days. I was just getting into music back then and was mainly into mellow singer-songwriter stuff. I liked The Eagles at the time, but I don't really care that much about them now. And I especially don't like Don Henley. He always struck me as being too in love with himself. I saw him one time in concert after he went solo (I went to see the opening act). His performance was slick, professional, and ultimately left me cold. He made a  comment thanking the fans for making one of his new songs "number 8 with a bullet." That just further solidified my opinion of him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

There is no way that the Eagles are in the same class as Led Zepplin and CSNY.

Ok, The Eagles were a great POP band but not a great Rock and Roll band.  They could have been a great Rock and Roll band, but their performances weren't loose enough.  They seemed over produced.

I think Hotel California is one of the greatest American rock songs ever, but take that song away, and no one is talking about the Eagles. 

Their live recording of the acoustic version of Hotel California was good.  But it could have been great.  Just when they start to jam out to the song and take it to interesting places, they end the song.  It deserved at least another 30 seconds of playing if not another minute, at the least.

And why?  The opportunity to do something amazing with that song and release it to the public is lost.  Why?  Because doing something amazing would have made the song less desireable from a radio perspective.

Live performances shouldn't be arranged to maximize radio air time.  They should have played it out and let the band create magic.  And the objective of the recording should have to capture that magical moment.

And that is why I don't think they are a great Rock and Roll Band. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Don Felder's book about The Eagles is very informative.  It paints an unflattering picture of Henley and Frey, to put it mildly.  One of his criticisms was about their obsessiveness with recordings and live performances being free of any imperfections.  They would do endless re-takes to eliminate even the tiniest mistakes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Don Felder's book about The Eagles is very informative.  It paints an unflattering picture of Henley and Frey, to put it mildly.  One of his criticisms was about their obsessiveness with recordings and live performances being free of any imperfections.  They would do endless re-takes to eliminate even the tiniest mistakes.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    \\

Boston was the same way, that's why they rarely toured because they were obsessed with re-creating the original recorded music. It wasn't until the mid to late 80's where they perfected the technology to do so, and then went on a massive tour where if you ever saw Boston live,it was most likely during the mid to late 80's or after.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i like it when a band embraces a misstep...the eagles always seemed like they wanted to be above all that...musicianship is all about exploring where the music takes you...at least for me.

yes, it was linda ronstadt :)

as for CSN(Y), they were (i think) the first "supergroup," all coming from separate bands that had made it...amazing and incredibly influential nonetheless. that woodstock performance is amazing (though i believe it was pre-young)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: The Eagles: Real or Imagined? : Haven't heard from you lately , I was concerned. Possibly Crosby , Stills, Nash and Young. These guys did make many solo albums and Crosby Nash teamed up to make a few on their own.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Iv'e been around here from time to time. Good to see you back Zilla!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Niel young was at Woodstock with CSN.  He's on the album in fact.  The reason you don't see him in the movie is because he did not want to be filmed.  He sat out the acoustic numbers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

hmmm...interesting. i wonder why?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

To quote the Dude in the Big Lebowski... I am having a bad day and I really don't like the Eagles man!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I did not grow up with the Eagles playing in my CD player ----------------- Well, ya gave it away right there!  :-) Great song writers who could play their a55es off and saved Joe Walsh's life.  Ain't that enough? I might also add that Greatest Hits , is either 1 or 2 of the top selling albums of all time , depending on your source. Thats a lotta records!
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Laughing
    Funny, I know, Zilla commented on that earlier in the thread, I meant to comment on it earlier.  I'm no kid, but there are no dinosaur egg shell remnants in any of my baby pictures, so I guess I am somewhere in between.  :)

As for my own anecdotal evidence as well as critical acclaim, I have to go back to what DWL and Newman said earlier in the thread.  

Part of what made the Eagles one of the 70's most significant bands is the mere idea that they literally lasted the entire decade, and even though there were bands that were far superior than the Eagles may have been, the other bands had much shorter stints.  Hence, the Eagles were one of the standouts. 

The other bands that I've seen listed with the Eagles (and you're not going to necessarily agree or like this) are Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan, and finally, Led Zeppelin (no particular order for that list) as the bands that carried the decade from beginning to end.  Again, that's just what I've seen and read, and may have no basis in your own personal reality. 

As for the album sales, that's mind-boggling, IMHO. 

As for Don Henley, he's always seemed like an ego-maniac to me, too.  However, his interest in the Walden Woods Project and his interest in land preservation isn't something I can criticize, as that's to his credit. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I would say The Who carried the decade much more than Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan did.

I would say the big supergroups of the 70s are, Zeppelin, The Who and the Stones.

I don't consider CSN&Y a supergroup.  They could have been but that ship passed.  Stills has said that as well.

As far as hits in the 70s, Elton John probably led the pack but I don't think he defines much of anything.  He had an impressive string of hits though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

IMO, The Eagles are the most country-ish of the truly popular 70s country-rock-pop bands.  This is not to discount the likes of Skynyrd, Allmans, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Charlie Daniels, et al.

But the most popular music in the country by sales is country music - or at least what their calling country music these days.  The Eagles were/are one of those few bands that appealed to hippies, cowboys, parents, boomers and soft-rock connoisseurs alike - crossover artists, if you will, no matter how banal.  Sort of like Jimmy Buffett without the palm trees and goofy outfits....

Yes, they wrote some great songs.  Myself, I can count the ones I like on both hands but maybe not with all ten fingers.  I prefer my country-rock a little more heavy on the "-rock" side.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I would say The Who carried the decade much more than Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan did. I would say the big supergroups of the 70s are, Zeppelin, The Who and the Stones. I don't consider CSN&Y a supergroup.  They could have been but that ship passed.  Stills has said that as well. As far as hits in the 70s, Elton John probably led the pack but I don't think he defines much of anything.  He had an impressive string of hits though.
    Posted by AGUY1

There was no one standout band that "carried the decade" of the seventies.  Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd were favorites of the album oriented FM channels. Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac made waves with singles and great albums. Springsteen made the cover of 'Time' magazine. Elton John was mainly a 'singles' artist. David Bowie was probably about the best musically, but he was too wierd for prime time and ditto Alice Cooper....mainstream America was not quite ready for them...although us kids loved them!!! Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep were too "Heavy" for alot of people. You had dozens and dozens of groups , Foghat, Bad Company, Eric Clapton, McCartney and Wings, Aerosmith, J.Geils Band, Chicago, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foreigner, Badfinger, Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Yes, ELO, etc. It was mind-boggling how many groups were touring and making albums. So many great ones.

Sections
Shortcuts