The Fab Faux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Fab Faux

It is being reported (NY Post) that James McCartney (Son of Paul), Dhani Harrison (Son of George) and Sean Lennon (Son of John) have discussed the possibility of getting together and seeing what happens. Ringo Starr's son Zach who is 10 years older than the rest of the gang is not into the idea. That makes sense since he is listed as the drummer for The Who. The rest of the guys are hoping to reach out to Ringo's other son Jason, who is also a drummer. It does not appear that they have reached out to the only Beatles off-spring who has had some success in the music industry (Julien Lennon).

So it this silly, intriguing or outright blasphemy?

If they can convince Ringo's other son to join in and swap out Julien for Sean, I might be intrigued as to how they would sound. I have no expectations of what kind of music they could write and perform.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: The Fab Faux

Maybe they could call themselves "The Offspring".Oops,maybe not.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Why not...??

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a child of an artist, musician or entertainer traded on the reputation and talents of their parents - for better or worse.

I'm not sure why relative "success" would be either a requirement or a restriction upon any one of these junior artists providing that they can play and/or collaborate on some musical endeavor.

That said, these aren't just "kids of", they're also scions of rock n' roll royalty and thus privileged heirs to their fathers' legacies - again for better or worse.

In such cases, I'll to defer to the sublime Steely Dan vamp, "Show Biz Kids" for some cynical wisdom....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Julian Lennon was terrific.

I like his music, but people could not accept him for what he is...he is NOT his father.

This is somewhat like in NASCAR where Dale Earnhardt Jr. has not turned out as successful as his father. How could he ever hope to be?

The children of legendary people do not always turn out legendary. But they can be good at what they do. They should not be compared to anyone else.

I would hate for this group ( with or without Julian) to make an attempt at reliving, remaking or rebuilding the history that their fathers made.

They will be examined, dissected, inspected and finally ...rejected.

It is a lose-lose situation that should not be visited.

I see no logic in pursuing this.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

If they're not planning to cover Beatles songs, then why not?   Could do a lot worse than seeing the offspring of the Beatles in a band together.  

What makes this a bit poignant is the idea that all but Ringo's son weren't even born when the Beatles were together.  Wonder how old each of them was when they realized how important the Beatles were to music history.   

So good luck to them.  Let us know if you hear more about this from the NY Post, JE.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Fab Faux:
    [QUOTE]Not saying "not", but, I'm guessing they saw some humor here too. Yes, famous musician's childrens pick up an instrument relatively often. But - and maybe this can be a trivia question - is there any other band composed entirely of the offspring of another band?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I do remember a band from my childhood called "Dino, Desi and Billy" Dino and Desi were the children of Dean Martin & his wife and Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. I believe Billy was the son of a family friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU2ZgYfu2BM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVg_t8ZxR0&feature=related

The second song is D,D,& B doing the Beatles.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Example of a reason for not doing this ... Wilson Phillips

Elevator gooooooooing up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Ricky Nelson's sons had a band, but they were nothing like their dad in style.  They were (are?) twins -- Gunnar and Matthew, whose band was creatively called "Nelson".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Fab Faux : Julian Lennon was not terrific.
    Posted by bellhorn_[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you there...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Fab Faux : Have to agree with you there...
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I would not have wanted to be Julien Lennon. Think about it for a moment. 5 years after the death of his father, he releases an album which recieves decent reviews and goes platinum with two top 10 hits. he looks and sounds like dear old dd who just happens to not only be the most famous of Rock Stars, but a martyred one as well. The pressures on him must have been astronomical.

He is not John Lennon, but that is who he will always be measured to and that is why he had zero chance of achieving a long term successful musical career.

I think Julien's experiences have caused Sean to go in a completely different direction musically and lean towards Yoko's inspirations more than John's.

FYI - I liked Valotte.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I guess both Zil and yoga are correct.

In a perfect world, these guys should be able to do whatever they want and sink or swim on their own merits (even given the obvbious headstart they would have). Sadly, in this world, we would never let them do that (as Jessey notes about Julien). It might be interesting to see what such a group might come up with if there weren't pressure from all sides to be something they could never possibly be. Was it the Rolling Stones who used to show up at roadhouses and just rock out under assumed names . . .  or am I thinking of somebody else.

Anyway, this is a classic example of a perfectly good theorectical idea that would never work in practice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Fab Faux : I would not have wanted to be Julien Lennon. Think about it for a moment. 5 years after the death of his father, he releases an album which recieves decent reviews and goes platinum with two top 10 hits. he looks and sounds like dear old dd who just happens to not only be the most famous of Rock Stars, but a martyred one as well. The pressures on him must have been astronomical. He is not John Lennon, but that is who he will always be measured to and that is why he had zero chance of achieving a long term successful musical career. I think Julien's experiences have caused Sean to go in a completely different direction musically and lean towards Yoko's inspirations more than John's. FYI - I liked Valotte.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Granted.  The bar was high indeed.

Better out than in, after all, and I don't begrudge a grieving child from artistic expression.  Part of that is genetic, anyway.

But absent that context, the material itself was good enough but otherwise unremarkable.

Take someone like Arlo Guthrie, who bore an unwieldy sole stewardship of his father's enormous influence and legacy...especially during an era of cultural unrest and discovery that Woody saw coming decades earlier.  Consider that he had to deal with people denouncing as un-American what his father instinctively knew were the musical foundations of the nation.

Tall order, to say the least....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

As long as they don't do Beatle songs or bill themselves as "The Next Generation" or something like that, fine. Otherwise, it'll be the worst idea since New Coke.

By the way, Jess, "Surrender" came on my iPod just as I pulled into the parking lot at work. So, naturally, I sat in my car for an extra 3 1/2 minutes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Fab Faux : Julian Lennon was not terrific.

Strictly my opinion.

As is everything I say.

Not to be taken as a "fact" or not to sway your opinion , which obviously is 180 degrees from mine.

I did like him , because he didn't try to be his dad. But he did try to be Julian Lennon....I think he did alright.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Fab Faux : ...and then to top it all off, people spell his name wrong.

D*mn i's, a's & e's. Always get them mixed up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Maybe the offspring would be better than the Beatles.  I doubt it.  But anything is possible. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

They could call themselves "Here comes the sons".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Did anyone (else) see that Julian Lennon's birthday was yesterday (the 8th day of April) and that he released a new single on his birthday?

Happy Birthday to Julian.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Example of a reason for not doing this ... Wilson  Phillips Elevator  gooooooooing up.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I saw (thanks to you I continue to check that AOL site -- heh, you obviously saw it, too) that Wilson Phillips did concisely what they should not have done (and what the Beatles' sons will not do) -- they made an album consisting entirely of covers of their parents' songs.  Mistake, bad, bad (baby, this was a whopper) mistake.   

“Seriously, people have been saying for years, ‘Are you guys gonna record your parents’ music?’  she says.  “But we knew early on that that would just be suicide because basically, people already gave us such flack for, ‘You know, everything was handed to you on a silver platter,’ which was completely not true.  We had to work for everything that we’ve received.”

But now, 21 years into their career, Chynna says the time is right for them to acknowledge their heritage. "

No it wasn't.   

25. This post has been removed.