The Foreigner (band) Challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Foreigner (band) Challenge

Whether you consider Foreigner classic rock, mainstream pap, or a band that wrote one "guilty pleasure" song after another, you cannot deny their success, radio-friendly popularity, and the fact that they wrote some of the all-time great teenage-angst rock songs.

Waiting for a Girl Like You
    I Want to Know What Love Is
    Feels Like the First Time
    Cold as Ice
    Double Vision
    Hot-Blooded
    Juke Box Hero
    Urgent
    (and the list goes on)

What band or solo artist comes close?  Who would be considered a peer?  It doesn't matter whether you like them or not, just state the facts.

It would be great if you would list a few songs, too.  :D

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge

Boston

Journey

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

hall and oates?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Bryan Adams

I Do It For You
    Summer Of 69'
    Cuts Like A Knife
    Run To You

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

STYX

REO Speedwagon

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Anybody remember Triumph?  Lol

"Magic Power"

Not as successful but probably more talented.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Beside Foreigner, I think Journey, Styx and Bryan Adams are the best examples of this phenomenon.  Another way I think of it is: could I hear this artist's songs regularly on virtually any common pop-rock radio format?

More recently I thought Collective Soul might follow this model but they seem to have faded away somewhat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Bad Company:

Can't get enough of your Love,
    Movin' On.
    Bad Company
    Good Lovin Gone Bad
    Shooting Star
    Feel like Making Love
    Running with the Pack.

Not quite as 'angsty' as Foreigner maybe,  but topically very similar.  I prefer BC over Foreigner, but neither has aged very well for me.

Edit: Just remembered that both bands had something else in common,  they both had former members of King Crimson in them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Bad Company
    Foghat
    Nazareth
    Cheap Trick

Not terrible, but also not spectacular.  "Dirty White Boy" is a great tune.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Not sure I would consider these two to be "peers" only because I think they are way better but how about Bob Seger and J. Geils?

A band I would consider more peer like would be "Men at Work".  A band I just never quite got.  I totally agree with the other choices made such as STYX and REO.

You hear Foreigner and it's hard to not consider non 80s bands.  Or acts that became big during the 80s.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

These are brilliant.  Seriously. 

Bryan Adams is so off my radar, but seeing those songs, I am seriously in hysterics.   Same with Bad Company.  Bob Seger, Cheap Trick.  Totally brilliant.

J Geils?   Might take issue with that one, AG.  Maybe a distant cousin, but in no way a peer.

Are there any more current bands that fit this formula, from the past 10 years?  Any that can compare?  I'm trying to come up with one. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Are you all insane with putting Cheap Trick into this mix. Cheap Trick can be pointed to as one of the main influences on a whole decade. Tongue out

If it wasn't for the fact that my Mama taught me to be respectful - that first paragraph on Cheap Trick would have been in all capital letters Cool

I can go with Styx, Bryan Adams & REO Speedwagon.

Definitely not J. Geils unless you only know their two MTV hits. Other bands I would not list with Foreigner are Bad Company, Nazareth & Triumph. Thinking about it, I probably should rescind my original thought on Journey. They were a far better and longer lasting band.

To Foreigner's credit - I will give them Headknocker off their first album. D*mn good song. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge:
    [QUOTE]Are you all insane with putting Cheap Trick into this mix. Cheap Trick can be pointed to as one of the main influences on a whole decade. If it wasn't for the fact that my Mama taught me to be respectful - that first paragraph on Cheap Trick would have been in all capital letters I can go with Styx, Bryan Adams & REO Speedwagon. Definitely not J. Geils unless you only know their two MTV hits. Other bands I would not list with Foreigner are Bad Company, Nazareth & Triumph. Thinking about it, I probably should rescind my original thought on Journey. They were a far better and longer lasting band. To Foreigner's credit - I will give them Headknocker off their first album. D*mn good song. 
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I wasn't really sure about Geils because they were such a great 70s band.  But Cheap Trick and Journey I do think should be on the list.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't see how you can associate Cheap Trick with any of these bands. They did a completely different style of music. They along with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were accepted by punks in the mid 70's. Cheap Trick is a HoF band that hasn't gotten there yet. Anthrax of all bands calls Cheap Trick one of their big influences. Cheap Trick had a sense of humor in their music as well. And to add - the live version of "I Want You" is considered by many to be one of the perfect Rock and Roll songs.

As to Journey, yes, the music was basically of the same genre, but they did it so much better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It just came to me, bands like Foreigner, Journey, Boston, etc. actually are listed by many to be in a genre called "Corporate Rock". Never understood it, but I remember it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Cheap Trick a completely different style of music?  Sounds like typical Rock and Roll to me.  A little 70s sounding.  How is it completely different?
    Obviously you are a fan so maybe a bit bias, who knows. 
    I like Cheap Trick, just not one of my favorites.  They seemed somewhat influenced by the Who in my opinion, one of my favorites.
    I think the reason I wasn't a bigger fan of Cheap Trick was because I hardly ever heard any guitar solos which was a big thing for me when I was in High School.  Still is actually but I've branched out a tiny bit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]Are you all insane with putting Cheap Trick into this mix. Cheap Trick can be pointed to as one of the main influences on a whole decade.

A main influence of an entire decade? Now that's funny!  In parts of Japan I'm sure they bought the American Beatle schtick.  They're still buying, and I'll give  CT credit for longevity.  But I always considered them a novelty act.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cheap Trick is what you get if the Beatles and the Ramones had a baby.  Just using your example of guitar solos, bands like Foreigner, Journey, Boston all lived off that. Cheap Trick was all about catchy riffs with a real energy and power behind it. No extended leads or attempted olympian heroics on their instruments. Also, I suggest you listen to their stuff prior to Budakan. First album is amazing.

When Zillagod gets wind of this thread, I am going to catch hell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the only thing i know about cheap trick is that the guy has a guitar with like 6 necks and different pickups for each one. which is pretty insane...definitely a gimmick, though.

also, they sing the theme song for that 70s show.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE]Cheap Trick is what you get if the Beatles and the Ramones had a baby.  Just using your example of guitar solos, bands like Foreigner, Journey, Boston all lived off that. Cheap Trick was all about catchy riffs with a real energy and power behind it. No extended leads or attempted olympian heroics on their instruments. Also, I suggest you listen to their stuff prior to Budakan. First album is amazing. When Zillagod gets wind of this thread, I am going to catch hell.

Not sure I can agree.  Catchy riffs could describe most of what the industry is looking for in a song and without one, no contract.

They seemed to also be about image (couldn't think of a better description)which you left out.  The drummer always smoking, the guitar player with his fancy guitars, like that 6 neck or whatever it was.

I really believe the reason you didn't hear more solos from him was because he simply wasn't a very good lead player.  If he could have, he probably would of peppered a few into the songs they came out with.

I remember one time they were playing at Great Woods and they were interviewing him on the radio during his sound check and they asked him to play some stuff on his guitar.  It was as if he could't come up with anything solo wise.  He play a bit riff of a Zeppelin song and laughed it off with a "oh, that's not ours, ha ha". 

I'm not trying to knock the guy, I do think they have some good if not great songs.  I just wouldn't mention them in the same breath as the Beatles.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And is that anything different than Johnny Ramone? Since when does guitar leads define what a band is. Pretty sure The Beatles weren't one of those bands. The point being is that they took their influences from the Beatles and merged them with the raw energy of the early punk movement.

And I am not putting them in the same sentence as the Beatles. Hell, I wouldn't put Queen and Zep in the same sentence with the Beatles......

Also, image can sometimes be as important to a band as the music. Poison, KISS, etc.

And as to their influence on a whole decade, Cheap Trick blend of pop and power paved the way for what a lot of the Hair band scene was to become. No Cheap Trick - no Bon Jovi. Although that might have been a good thing Tongue out

Music is opinion and taste and I get that better than anyone. But to lump them in with bands like Foreigner who put out a completely different kind of music just doesn't compute. Foreigner hit a formula and never strayed, same with Journey, Styx and Boston. Cheap Trick didn't follow that same formula.

Cheap Trick live was one of the better shows I have ever seen and there is only one band that I haven't seen and that is the aforementioned Beatles. Haven't seen the Stones, but that was by choice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Sorry dude, can't agree.  Hair bands would have come regardless of Cheap Trick's existence.

Those hair bands probably had some of the same influence as Cheap Trick.  Not influenced by Cheap Trick. 

"Music is opinion and taste and I get that better than anyone."  A bit of a Narcissistic statement if you ask me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think the Corporate Rock tag probably does apply to Foreigner.  Hard rock that is contrived to be very radio-friendly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

BTW, I never said guitar solos define bands.  I said I would have probably listened to them more back in high school if they had any good solos, which they don't.  That's just my taste.  I like other bands that don't have great solos, it's not all I look for.

As for your opening paragraph, did you just simply rip that off of Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheap_Trick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well Guy - I guess you don't know me very well to make such a statement.

Here is the funny thing, when musicians from the Hair Band scene cite Cheap Trick as an influence, then I am going to take them at their word.

Sections
Shortcuts