The Foreigner (band) Challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge

In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Fair enough.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

isn't agreeing wonderful? Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Little River Band
    Al Stewart (Year of the Cat, Time Passages)
    Peter Frampton

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Beatles were more commercial in the early years. Epstein gave them a "lovable" cute image which they capitalized on to make their mark. They eventually became a more artistic and experimental band, shedding the "cute little boys" look for the hippie look, This gained them a greater influence across the spectrum of music fans. Eleanor Rigby was a terrific non-Rock song which showed their flexibility. Lennon's ant-war , political songs gained them respect for actually dealing with "real life" issues.

The talent of the Beatles guaranteed that they would be good. The desire to be better made them great. But, the marketing of Epstein made them famous and rich. The music alone may not have done it. They needed to be "marketed" to America. Much the same way that 'Star Wars' was marketed as a sci-fi movie. The Beatles justified the marketing, they were the real deal. But without the intital marketing , they might have been just another band.

They actually became "less commercial" as the 60's decade was winding down. The Stones on the other hand became more "corporate" or
    Respectable" with time and did so well into the 80's.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : That's the way I interpret your first response. You seem to be saying that because these bands had huge sales, lots of radio play and because they continue to tour as "nostalgia" acts with some new members, that automatically makes them a "corporate band." The late 70's punk movement was supposed to be a reaction to the "corporate rock" and the way the classic rock bands had become "mainstream" or "accepted" in society. Sadly the record executives grabbed the "punk bands" and merchandised them and turned them into moneymakers,, essentially making these bands "corporate rock" also. I'll bet the Clash sold more records in the 80's than Electric Light Orchestra. Johnny Rotten closed out the last Sex Pistols show by asking the audience, "do you ever feel as if you've been cheated?"..he wasn't referring to them , but rather he felt he and his bandmates were used by promoters...essentially becoming "corporate" exactly what they were supposed to be opposing.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

I dont think selling records equals selling out , selling out is abandoning your true audience, in the 70's REO speedwagon was a good rock and roll band, by the early 80's they became a soft rock group similar to air supply. The Styx, Foreigner, Journey's of today are different band's who no longer create new music but rather are a greatest hits on tour, that is why they are usually packaged to play the summer shed tour.

I responded to this post because usually when you see discussions on these bands it usually has the tenor of my post. I grew up in the seventies and did see many of the bands mentioned, some were good, some not so good.

I believe that the corporate lable fit a lot of the 80's so called new wave bands, corporate rock put more effort into the album cover, the video and less into the song.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think selling records equals selling out , selling out is abandoning your true audience, in the 70's REO speedwagon was a good rock and roll band, by the early 80's they became a soft rock group similar to air supply. The Styx, Foreigner, Journey's of today are different band's who no longer create new music but rather are a greatest hits on tour, that is why they are usually packaged to play the summer shed tour. I responded to this post because usually when you see discussions on these bands it usually has the tenor of my post. I grew up in the seventies and did see many of the bands mentioned, some were good, some not so good. I believe that the corporate lable fit a lot of the 80's so called new wave bands, corporate rock put more effort into the album cover, the video and less into the song.
    Posted by indygreen[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you moved this discussion in this direction.

As yogafriend knows, I love a discussion I can rant about.

Whether or not a group is "selling out" has always been a tough call. I mean really these people need to eat too. The artist can stay true to his artisic values , but if it doesn't sell....how long can they survive?

Punk stayed true to it's stripped down sound and rebellious lyrics, but as a "sellable" music , it's influence was narrow and it's appeal short-lived. Therefore many of these musicians were forced to do something that could generate some income.

Danny Elfman of Oingo Boingo made a nice niche for himself doing movie soundrack music in the 80's and 90's. Was it selling out or making a a living?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The story goes that when the Beatles finished the recording of Please Please Me, George Martin said 'Gentlemen, you've just recorded your first Number One single.'  And he was right.  It was of course a great song, but Martin's instincts also told him it would be a killer commercially. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

people only don't want bands to sell out because when they get popular it's not as cool to like them.

nowadays every band has to sell out sooner or later. look at the black keys. they make exponentially more $$ from their advertisements than from their music, but it enables them to keep doing what they do, and doing it how they want to do it.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

billy joe didn't sell out, he just re-created all his old material with better production and slightly different vocal and instrument melodies...appealed to a whole new generation of kids. when i was the age that the american idiots are, i was a fan of green day because of "basketcase," "longview," etc...

they grew up, lost their crudeness, put on pounds of makeup, and are pretty much the definition of selling out...but to their credit they didn't do it until they were like 40 years old...

...not that i really care at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I like that , "it's not as cool to like them" line.

The whole alternative movement was fueled by groups who were "cool" to like. I wonder if all of us Smiths fans would be so thrilled about this band if they had "sold out" like R.E.M. did?

In my case, I don't really judge bands by whether they "sell out" or not.

I like groups like Sisters of Mercy and Ministry, and also groups like ABBA and Chicago because they sound good to my ears. That is the deciding factor. No matter how "cool" a band is , if they don't sound good to me, that's the end of story.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I think in terms of recorded music for these older bands, that's all.  I don't think about the existence of the band now, or if they're still playing or touring. 

When I started the thread, all I had in mind was the music.  Wildly popular in its day, and decades later, people either have it on their iPod, crank up the radio when they hear it, or have some version of a "greatest hits" CD in order to enjoy it.  The recordings are frozen in time, and nothing can ruin them. 

As for this type of post (about a band such as Foreigner), maybe on another forum it would draw a more "expected" or typical response, but that's what makes this forum great: expect the unexpected.  No telling where the discussion will go, or if I'll get to feast on a cool rant.  Note:  I am especially amused with any that contain references to American Idol.    :D

PS Speaking of rants, how did you like the way p-mike mopped the floor with some of us (luckily, not me) when he dropped by this week?  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

another thing about "selling out," i think the general consensus would be an artist or band losing their "artistic integrity" by pumping out what they know "works," or will appeal to a mass audience rather than trying to do what they love, or try to push themselves further as an artist.

on a slightly related note, nickelback makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit when i hear them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If you relate "sales" or "success" with "selling out" , then the whole Motown sound was a "sell out."

African American ( or "black" , if you prefer...I see no disrespect, I don't get offended at being called "white") artists making music that is more likely to be "accepted" by white audiences. Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Temptations, Smokey Robinson , The O'Jays, Gladys Knight ,etc. All great music made to be marketed across color lines.... and it worked.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I do not believe that a band sells out. I believe the industry itself will sell out every 3rd year into a new generation of bands.

In the 60's, after the Beatles broke, record companies were signing any band with an English accent. In the 70's, I saw some bands release albums who never should have been allowed in a recording studio to begin with, but because they were punk, the labels scooped them up. And nothing was as bad as the mid-80's when all you needed for a contract was Aqua-Net Pink and a pretty guitar. Samething happened in the 90's after Grunge broke but instead of hair spray, you needed flannel and a promise of showering only once a week. Then you got a deal.

But no band sells out. They maybe artists and our icons, but they need to make money as well. And back in the day, if you crossed over with your appeal, you were a millionaire.

Give me a chance, and I would sell out in a minute if it meant the chance of that kind of money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]people only don't want bands to sell out because when they get popular it's not as cool to like them. nowadays every band has to sell out sooner or later. look at the black keys. they make exponentially more $$ from their advertisements than from their music, but it enables them to keep doing what they do, and doing it how they want to do it.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

ph, I was thinking about bands selling out by doing commercials when I started reading this thread and then remembered the episode of the Colbert Report with Black Keys and Vampire Weekend having a sell-out off ( who "whored out" their music more)...really funny, did you see it? check it out....

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/370725/january-11-2011/metunes---grammy-vote---dan-auerbach--patrick-carney---ezra-koenig

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i actually heard something about that on NPR and now i hear both of those bands' songs on commercials all the time. funny how you never notice until someone brings it up

Sections
Shortcuts