The Foreigner (band) Challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge

Actually, I think Wiki ripped me off. It is such an obvious statement that I would imagine many references to Cheap Trick would say the same thing. And if you are checking Wiki for Cheap Trick, then that is telling me you are really not all that familiar with their catalogue of music. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

So does every hair band cite them as their influence or just a couple?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I believe, both stylistically and musically, Van Halen was a much bigger influence on the 80s Hair Bands than Cheap Trick.

The genre everyone is searching for is Arena Rock - of which CT may have been one of the best.  Play it loud.  Catchy hooks.  Singable choruses.  But little real innovation or substance.  There are always exceptions, but the formula was fairly dependable and worked well even when the music su((ed.  

I also submit that ANY band in which the "image is as important as the music" means the music is rendered second in priority.)

I like Cheap Trick; I just think their catalog (much like Aerosmith) is very inconsistent.  Some flashes of greatness?  Absolutely.  But one of the all-time greats?  Not even close.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty -

You mix Cheap Trick and the NY Dolls, and you have the 80's Hair Band scene. Obviously bands like Van Halen, Def Leppard and Aerosmith had a heavy influence on the 80's as well. And in turn, the Hair Band scene influenced those same three bands back in a perverted kind of way. It is not a perfect jig saw puzzle which is why Rock is such a great artform. There is no one true starting point for anything. But I am saying what I believe to be true based on my ears on numerous publications that I have read.

And to clarify, the CT image just happened naturally. Nielson and Hamilton were playing together long before CT. And I would clearly disagree with you on music being a secondary priority of a band who concentrates on their image. The Beatles were all about image and it never affected the music. The same with the Who, Zep and the Stones. Everything was well crafted. Some genres of music have been created based on image more than the  music. Glam, Shoegazing, etc.

Again - this is where we all get to pick and choose who we think is important. CT is inconsistent, agreed and I never called them an all-time great. But can you name one band that has been recording 30 + years and have remained consistent. I sure can't.

I do call them HoF worthy. And I say the same thing about the NY Dolls and the Runaways. I say the samething about Joy Division & I don't even like their music. But I understand the importance of it. And I believe CT has that kind of legacy in RnR as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I am not a fan of Cheap Trick, but I would agree with Jessey that they were way above that fill my eyes with that double jisim crap that foreigner etc. were playing.... to me they were 70's pop, leaning more towards the rock side of pop.

As far as being in the R&R hall NY Dolls definitely yes, Runaways I could go either way (but would have no problem if they were inducted) Cheap Trick I don't think so, they deserve to be there about as much as ABBA... hey wait a minute.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge:
    [QUOTE]Actually, I think Wiki ripped me off. It is such an obvious statement that I would imagine many references to Cheap Trick would say the same thing. And if you are checking Wiki for Cheap Trick, then that is telling me you are really not all that familiar with their catalogue of music. 
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I was doing an internet search to see what bands may have toured with CT and decided to see what Wiki had to say.  You kind of assume too much.

Turns out, CT toured with Journey and Heart in 2008.  I think that just about says it all right there.  They are clumped in with some of those bands. 

I'm done.  As Yoga would say, lets agree to disagree. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

[QUOTE] But can you name one band that has been recording 30 + years and have remained consistent. I sure can't.

AC/DC

BTW, I would vote for them to be in the HOF if it makes you feel better.  Sorry, said I was done but couldn't resist.  Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Guy - Cheap Trick also toured with Def Leppard, Poison KISS, etc. You cannot attach a band to a genre based on a tour at the end of their career. Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees. Should I change my way of thinking because of this?

I am a huge fan of C.T. and am proud of it. But for me, the one thing they never were was a cookie cutter type of band. And the bands like Foreigner, Boston, etc. were. And to me that is the big differnce.

I do love having these kinds of passionate discussions about music.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Any excuse to talk about Cheap Trick.  Been a while, hasn't it jessey?  What's most uncanny is that you recently changed your avatar.  That's what struck me more than anything, as the Beatles have always been your trademark.   Then this conversation comes along ... crazy timing. 

Insofar as cookie cutter or formula bands / music is concerned, that's what lots of bands did back then, when radio was the primary source for listening delivery.  I don't think it's fair to "accuse" anyone, including Foreigner, of doing what everyone else was doing.  The term most use is "AOR" and corporate rock was just a way of making sure you were solid in the radio rotation.  Would that be right? 

You should start your own thread about Cheap Trick and put yourself out of your misery.  Zilla would love it. 

As for bands that have lasted 30 plus years with consistency?  Do you want to create a thread for that, because that's an interestig topic.  And I have to agree with Guy, there are more of them than just Cheap Trick.  :D  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

bonus points to yoga for using "insofar"

jessey - jimi opening for the monkees (and getting booed off stage) in the beginning of his career doesnt mean anything. cheap trick touring in 2008 with journey and heart, that means something. maybe not something important, but something.

what a "tasty" thread Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will start a thread about long running bands this week. But actually there are only a handful when you look at the full roster of RnR.

Cheap Trick, Rush and Aerosmith are the only bands that I know of who still have the exact same members in the band that they had when they started.

Def Leppard has had the same line-up for the last 20 years, but the truth with them is they lost their most important member back in 1991. Not sure what REM is up to lately. Motley Crue, but they record together once every 4 years. Bon Jovi is basically the same band except for the bass player.  But they just hit 25 years. The same with Poison. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest & The Scorpions are still out there but I think JP and Scorps are calling it quits also. And of course there are the Stones, but who knows if they will ever record again.

There is no consistency with any of these bands except for Rush. The truth is that it is extremely difficult to keep writing and recording with the same passion as a band when you are in your 50's as you did when you were in your early 20's and 30's.

And i won't be starting any Cheap Trick threads - we had one last year. As it is, Zilla is going to have a heart attack when he reads this one. But i do know one thing referring back to mixed tapes. If I was making a mixed tape for you, CT's "I Want You" would be on it Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]bonus points to yoga for using "insofar" jessey - jimi opening for the monkees (and getting booed off stage) in the beginning of his career doesnt mean anything. cheap trick touring in 2008 with journey and heart, that means something. maybe not something important, but something. what a "tasty" thread
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Why did you stop voting in the female rocker game, punky?  Did you forget or just not have the time?  Please get back in the game. 

BTW, jessey, when you said "consistent" you didn't define it as a band with the original band members for the duration of the band's existence, or sorry that I didn't "get" that (it sounded like you meant consistent with regard to the music) but that would change the number of responses quite a bit if you were going to benchmark for bands that have been around for 30-ish years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]I will start a thread about long running bands this week. But actually there are only a handful when you look at the full roster of RnR. Cheap Trick, Rush and Aerosmith are the only bands that I know of who still have the exact same members in the band that they had when they started. Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

U2

And yes, I will accept that the "consistency" factor with them is at least open to debate, but one person's consistency could also be another's complacency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Cheap Trick landed two songs on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, 'Reach Out' and 'I Must Be Dreamin''.  A couple of obscure little nuggets from their catalogue but good tunes and very fitting for that movie.  I always liked them for that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Why did you stop voting in the female rocker game, punky?  Did you forget or just not had time?  Please get back in the game.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

i felt really bad when you got so upset that i got rid of mcvie...i didnt want to upset anyone else by voting a certain way, so i just stopped.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Forgot U2 - thanks Gerbs.

phs - I would say that it is the same because I do not believe it to be relevant at all. We sometimes forget that the musicians and bamds that we love do require to make a living. And in todays age, a Rock band lives off its touring fees. So when you are asked to go out on a tour, if the money is right, you take it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Forgot U2 - thanks Gerbs. phs - I would say that it is the same because I do not believe it to be relevant at all. We sometimes forget that the musicians and bamds that we love do require to make a living. And in todays age, a Rock band lives off its touring fees. So when you are asked to go out on a tour, if the money is right, you take it.

yes, i agree...to an extent. a powerhouse tour like that is to appeal to a demographic that (generally) likes the same time of music, if not only for nostalgic purposes.

i would sell out in a second.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : i felt really bad when you got so upset that i got rid of mcvie...i didnt want to upset anyone else by voting a certain way, so i just stopped.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]Oh no.  I was kind of pulling your leg a little bit,  you know, turn about is fair play.  I should have put an emoticon on my comment to you.  I'd never be that upset, I'm not that way at all.  An apology, (and tripping over yourself to do so) for me is sufficient.   So let's just get back to our normal kidding around, okay? 

PS I never expected McVie to make it 'til the end, but it was fun to see how long she could fly under the radar.  Look, a couple of people insulted Sarah McLachlan yesterday and that was a lot worse, but I rolled with it (and kicked them out of my thread!  ha ha!!) 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Oh no.  I was kind of pulling your leg a little bit,  you know, turn about is fair play.  I should have put an emoticon on my comment to you.  I'd never be that upset, I'm not that way at all.  An apology, (and tripping over yourself to do so) for me is sufficient.   So let's just get back to our normal kidding around, okay?  PS I never expected McVie to make it 'til the end, but it was fun to see how long she could fly under the radar.  Look, a couple of people insulted Sarah McLachlan yesterday and that was a lot worse, but I rolled with it (and kicked them out of my thread!  ha ha!!) 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

okay, deal. i like joking around, but you know as well as anyone that a lot is lost in translation when it comes to written word.  i didn't want to upset you, i like you, and i think you're really smart Cool

sorry, and i'll get back to my usual punkish nonsense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Could they write a hook, or what? Cliche riddled rock bad?  Lets ask Billy Joel. Foreigner = great band. Now, I went and saw them 20 years ago with my wife (yea, it was her idea, but Joe Walsh open for them!) I told some kids in line that I was there for Joe Walsh, and they said, "Who?" Ah, youth is wasted on the young - M. Twain. At any rate, Foreigner absolutely kicked a55!  They knew how to own a stage, and an audience, and THAT, comes from the gods. GREAT band. Oh, and Joe was great too, but he didn't OWN it like Foreigner.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Hey I saw that same show here in Halifax.  And Foreigner did deliver the goods.  They only played the two power ballads and the rest was the hard stuff.  Nice laser show too.  I was properly juiced for the show and that didn't hurt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty - You mix Cheap Trick and the NY Dolls, and you have the 80's Hair Band scene. Obviously bands like Van Halen, Def Leppard and Aerosmith had a heavy influence on the 80's as well. And in turn, the Hair Band scene influenced those same three bands back in a perverted kind of way. It is not a perfect jig saw puzzle which is why Rock is such a great artform. There is no one true starting point for anything. But I am saying what I believe to be true based on my ears on numerous publications that I have read. And to clarify, the CT image just happened naturally. Nielson and Hamilton were playing together long before CT. And I would clearly disagree with you on music being a secondary priority of a band who concentrates on their image. The Beatles were all about image and it never affected the music. The same with the Who, Zep and the Stones. Everything was well crafted. Some genres of music have been created based on image more than the  music. Glam, Shoegazing, etc. Again - this is where we all get to pick and choose who we think is important. CT is inconsistent, agreed and I never called them an all-time great. But can you name one band that has been recording 30 + years and have remained consistent. I sure can't. I do call them HoF worthy. And I say the same thing about the NY Dolls and the Runaways. I say the samething about Joy Division & I don't even like their music. But I understand the importance of it. And I believe CT has that kind of legacy in RnR as well.

There seem to be a few issues within this discussion, so I'll clarify with a few points:

- "At Budokan" is undeniably a rock n' roll touchstone among live albums.  Cheap Trick could have quit the next day and still remained relevant among bands of that era.  That they kept going is to their credit, but longevity is no true measure of quality. The RnRHoF means very little to me.
    - IMO, they personify that particular 70s/80s midwestern, hardworking, endlessly touring, no-nonsense approach to rock n' roll.  The other bands I mentioned also fit that mold to varying degrees, so I think the comparison holds up.
    - The 80s were kind of a minefield for bands of this type, i.e., trying to remain relevant in light of punk, new wave, rap and a more image-conscious scene.  Most of these bands didn't adapt well - schmaltzy ballads, top 40 dreck, silly videos (Poor Billy Squier's career was nuked overnight because of one.) derailed quite a few.
    - Of course Cheap Trick was influential, but looking back, their influence on the last 20 years of music is murkier; on this point about more recent music, you and I may diverge on terms of quality and staying power.
    - Lastly, it's difficult when a band cannot match their early success, because they can be seen as either riding high on past achievements OR they stray into musical ground that either works or it doesn't.  Artists of all types have this dilemma, and fans can either embrace the new stuff blindly or be critically honest - but it's not always easy for die-hards, is it?

P.S.  More bands still out there after xx years: ZZ Top (same lineup), Fleetwood Mac, CS&N, Santana...

P.P.S.  The "That 70s Show" theme was by Big Star (talk about influence!), then covered by Cheap Trick from the 2nd season onward.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE] P.P.S.  The "That 70s Show" theme was by Big Star (talk about influence!), then covered by Cheap Trick from the 2nd season onward.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

whoa! awesome.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : There seem to be a few issues within this discussion, so I'll clarify with a few points: - "At Budokan" is undeniably a rock n' roll touchstone among live albums.  Cheap Trick could have quit the next day and still remained relevant among bands of that era.  That they kept going is to their credit, but longevity is no true measure of quality. The RnRHoF means very little to me. - IMO, they personify that particular 70s/80s midwestern, hardworking, endlessly touring, no-nonsense approach to rock n' roll.  The other bands I mentioned also fit that mold to varying degrees, so I think the comparison holds up. - The 80s were kind of a minefield for bands of this type, i.e., trying to remain relevant in light of punk, new wave, rap and a more image-conscious scene.  Most of these bands didn't adapt well - schmaltzy ballads, top 40 dreck, silly videos (Poor Billy Squier's career was nuked overnight because of one.) derailed quite a few. - Of course Cheap Trick was influential, but looking back, their influence on the last 20 years of music is murkier; on this point about more recent music, you and I may diverge on terms of quality and staying power. - Lastly, it's difficult when a band cannot match their early success, because they can be seen as either riding high on past achievements OR they stray into musical ground that either works or it doesn't.  Artists of all types have this dilemma, and fans can either embrace the new stuff blindly or be critically honest - but it's not always easy for die-hards, is it? P.S.  More bands still out there after xx years: ZZ Top (same lineup), Fleetwood Mac, CS&N, Santana...   P.P.S.  The "That 70s Show" theme was by Big Star (talk about influence!), then covered by Cheap Trick from the 2nd season onward.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't count Santana. And I know I didn't name them all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

sorry, but where are all the foreign bands? or did i miss something?

Wink

Sections
Shortcuts