The Foreigner (band) Challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge

In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : I wouldn't count Santana. And I know I didn't name them all.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

"Gonna Raise Hell" is a mainstay on my ipod - a great tune to crank up in the car - as is "Reach Out" from the Heavy Metal soundtrack.  I even made an all-CT mix from my collection for my sister-in-law, with whom I share many common musical interests.  And really, it's to their credit that they play the theme for the Colbert Report....

:)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry I jumped into this thread late, but I have tons of respect for Foriegner.

They were turned down by just about every record company in America.

Yet they proved them all wrong by selling lots of albums, having hit singles and outlasting many of the bands the so-called critics said were better than them.

I have to put Uriah Heep in the same category. Although the Heep didn't have the commercial success, They defied the critics who said they wouldn't last. One critic even said that "if this band makes it, I'll have to kill myself"...well they did,and I'll bet he didn't.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

wow i really gotta get into this theme song business

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"The genre everyone is searching for is Arena Rock - of which CT may have been one of the best."

Just wanted to add a personal anecdote to this "Cheap Trick" thread ;).

My brother once saw them in a small venue and their sound system was huge stacks of speakers. It was so loud he couldn't really hear it. I guess they were always geared for the big arenas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

matty said that a while ago i think

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

JESSEY i just read that the NY DOLLS are touring with motley crue and poison. better get your ticket(s)!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

The Fact that many of these bands continue to tour today with replacements, Journey, styx Foreigner say's it all.  Name more than 2 members of each band ? These bands had and still have no soul, they are a nameless,faceless brand.  that is the definition of "coporate rock" also add in Boston,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]The Fact that many of these bands continue to tour today with replacements, Journey, styx Foreigner say's it all.  Name more than 2 members of each band ? These bands had and still have no soul, they are a nameless,faceless brand.  that is the definition of "coporate rock" also add in Boston,
    Posted by indygreen[/QUOTE]

I could easily name two members from each of these bands you name.

What is "corporate rock?" It is simply a bunch of guys trying to make a living selling a product that people want.

I was one of those people buying the product, I bought many albums by Styx, Foreigner,Boston ( not so much Journey...but I have a hits cd), who thought about "corporate rock" in those days? You heard songs on the radio, you liked them , you bought the album. I still love these bands today...they had to be doing something right. Does the fact that a movie is popular and lots of people like it and went to the theatre to see, then bought the DVD make it a "corporate film?"

I bought these albums, I have never regretted it. I feel I got my moneys worth. Lots of enjoyment from a vinyl LP and I would buy them for about $5.99 , hardly a rip-off.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : I could easily name two members from each of these bands you name. What is "corporate rock?" It is simply a bunch of guys trying to make a living selling a product that people want. I was one of those people buying the product, I bought many albums by Styx, Foreigner,Boston ( not so much Journey...but I have a hits cd), who thought about "corporate rock" in those days? You heard songs on the radio, you liked them , you bought the album. I still love these bands today...they had to be doing something right. Does the fact that a movie is popular and lots of people like it and went to the theatre to see, then bought the DVD make it a "corporate film?" I bought these albums, I have never regretted it. I feel I got my moneys worth. Lots of enjoyment from a vinyl LP and I would buy them for about $5.99 , hardly a rip-off.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

This post sums up how I feel about this particular era of rock as well as I could say it myself. Sure  . . .   it's easy to look back in time and say "This band was weak" or "That band sold out." It might make some people who never made it as musicians to turn their noses up at Foreigner or Styx or Kansas or REO Speedwagon (or even Toto), but the fact of the matter is that, at a certain point in time, those bands were giving kids what they wanted . . .  even if those kids needed FM radio to show them what it was that they wanted.

I get so irritated with people who look back in anger (or, more often, smugness)  -- with the benefit of hindsight and natural maturation -- who say that some band was not worthy of some arbitray classification, simply because they didn't live up to some standard you came up with in order to define your own music as "better" than any music that might supplant it in the minds of the next generation of people who think just like you . . .  except that they're younger . . .  and they define the next generation . . .   which makes you what "was."

When all was said and done, Foreigner had an identity that should not be denigrated today because some unfulfilled "Hipster" decides anything they don't like is "Corporate."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]JESSEY i just read that the NY DOLLS are touring with motley crue and poison. better get your ticket(s)!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Johnny Thunders, Nolan and Kane are gone. So are the Dolls.

Poison had 3 songs and chick appeal and that was in the 80's. Nothing there for me now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Johnny Thunders, Nolan and Kane are gone. So are the Dolls. Poison had 3 songs and chick appeal and that was in the 80's. Nothing there for me now.

Sad is it may be to admit, Jessey is right.

That specific faux band was designed to mock a particular actual band, and you can't simply throw "Buster Pointdexter and the Whatever" out there and call it the New York Dolls.

That simply would not do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Sad is it may be to admit, Jessey is right. That specific faux band was designed to mock a particular actual band, and you can't simply throw "Buster Pointdexter and the Whatever" out there and call it the New York Dolls. That simply would not do.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Can't tell if Mike is sad because it isn't really the NY Dolls or because I might be rightTongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]JESSEY i just read that the NY DOLLS are touring with motley crue and poison. better get your ticket(s)!

jessey, I think smitty was being facetious. Laughing 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Can't tell if Mike is sad because it isn't really the NY Dolls or because I might be right

Right about what?

I'm sad because I think David Johansen could have gone farther -- which is why I referenced Buster Pointdexter --  but the Dolls were a manufactured joke. Sure, Trash was okay, and Jet Boy almost got them where they wanted to go, but I'm a little surprised that someone who goes on and on about how the New York punk scene couldn't have possibly survived without him (Heaven forbid Patti Smith sing a mainstream song) missed this particular American Idol moment, but, then again, the New York guys always like to pretend they know stuff they don't really know . . .   don't they?

It's all about mystique.

I guess I can dig that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : Right about what? I'm sad because I think David Johansen could have gone farther -- which is why I referenced Buster Pointdexter --  but the Dolls were a manufactured joke. Sure, Trash was okay, and Jet Boy almost got them where they wanted to go, but I'm a little surprised that someone who goes on and on about how the New York punk scene couldn't have possibly survived without him (Heaven forbid Patti Smith sing a mainstream song) missed this particular American Idol moment, but, then again, the New York guys always like to pretend they know stuff they don't really know . . .   don't they? It's all about mystique. I guess I can dig that.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Gee - I don't know Mike - you said it.

Dolls were extremely important and you don't need to take my word for it. I love when some outside of NYC think they have an idea of what went on here back in the day. Must be the same jealousy they feel when comparing the Sox history to the Yanks.

But no pizzing contest for me. It's all about reality.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : This post sums up how I feel about this particular era of rock as well as I could say it myself. Sure  . . .   it's easy to look back in time and say "This band was weak" or "That band sold out." It might make some people who never made it as musicians to turn their noses up at Foreigner or Styx or Kansas or REO Speedwagon (or even Toto), but the fact of the matter is that, at a certain point in time, those bands were giving kids what they wanted . . .  even if those kids needed FM radio to show them what it was that they wanted. I get so irritated with people who look back in anger (or, more often, smugness)  -- with the benefit of hindsight and natural maturation -- who say that some band was not worthy of some arbitray classification, simply because they didn't live up to some standard you came up with in order to define your own music as "better" than any music that might supplant it in the minds of the next generation of people who think just like you . . .  except that they're younger . . .  and they define the next generation . . .   which makes you what "was." When all was said and done, Foreigner had an identity that should not be denigrated today because some unfulfilled "Hipster" decides anything they don't like is "Corporate."
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from indygreen. Show indygreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge :

these bands had some good songs,but near the end they moved towards a softer sound. I am not trying to sound like some closed minded music snob

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : jessey, I think smitty was being facetious.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

who, me? Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge :   I am not trying to sound like some closed minded music snob

That's the way I interpret your first response.

You seem to be saying that because these bands had huge sales, lots of radio play and because they continue to tour as "nostalgia" acts with some new members, that automatically makes them a "corporate band."

The late 70's punk movement was supposed to be a reaction to the "corporate rock" and the way the classic rock bands had become "mainstream" or "accepted" in society.

Sadly the record executives grabbed the "punk bands" and merchandised them and turned them into moneymakers,, essentially making these bands "corporate rock" also. I'll bet the Clash sold more records in the 80's than Electric Light Orchestra.

Johnny Rotten closed out the last Sex Pistols show by asking the audience, "do you ever feel as if you've been cheated?"..he wasn't referring to them , but rather he felt he and his bandmates were used by promoters...essentially becoming "corporate" exactly what they were supposed to be opposing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]The late 70's punk movement was supposed to be a reaction to the "corporate rock" and the way the classic rock bands had become "mainstream" or "accepted" in society. Sadly the record executives grabbed the "punk bands" and merchandised them and turned them into moneymakers,, essentially making these bands "corporate rock" also. I'll bet the Clash sold more records in the 80's than Electric Light Orchestra. Johnny Rotten closed out the last Sex Pistols show by asking the audience, "do you ever feel as if you've been cheated?"..he wasn't referring to them , but rathet he felt he and his bandmates were used by promoters...esssentially becoming "corporate" exactly what they were supposed to be opposing.

The pressure to sell records is a hard thing to escape.  Zeppelin was one of the few bands who could sell a zillion records while doing exactly what they wanted to artistically.  Most bands had to succumb to the pressure to come up with something commercial.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : The pressure to sell records is a hard thing to escape.  Zeppelin was one of the few bands who could sell a zillion records while doing exactly what they wanted to artistically.  Most bands had to succumb to the pressure to come up with something commercial.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

* the beatles

* pink floyd

* radiohead

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think you could say the Beatles were un-commercial from the get-go. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think you could say the Beatles were un-commercial from the get-go. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

well to be fair, they pretty much revamped rock n roll completely. it may have been commercial from the get go, but it was also their own way of doing things from the get go.

and i don't think you could say zeppelin was either

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : well to be fair, they pretty much revamped rock n roll completely. it may have been commercial from the get go, but it was also their own way of doing things from the get go. and i don't think you could say zeppelin was either

Fair enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Foreigner (band) Challenge : That's the way I interpret your first response. You seem to be saying that because these bands had huge sales, lots of radio play and because they continue to tour as "nostalgia" acts with some new members, that automatically makes them a "corporate band."
    Agreed.  The use of the word "corporate" not only in music but in most of the arts, has been over-used to the point of it having become a meaningless, if not generic criticism.  When you have created music that seems to be working for you, created a fan base, and you're financially successful, and then people come along and say that you sold out and became "corporate" -- well, that's more opinion than anything, and it does wreak of nonsensical music snobbery.

There may have been an era when that expression was born due to the number of bands that were following a formula, but honestly, if their music is still being played and enjoyed what, 30 years later, who has the last laugh?  And I have no problem admitting that I'm not tired of it, and hope it will continue going strong.