The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials

Ok I will confess that I am a huge Deadhead.  I saw them over 100 times.  Their best work has never been their studio releases, it's their live shows.  And of that they had (IMHO) 3 great periods where they produced some of the most interesting music that can be heard in R&R history.  Check out concerts from late '68 through March of '69.  1974 was another high point, they had the "wall of sound", which was up until that point the largest sound-stage ever set up for a concert. (It raised the bar for acts who followed).  1977 had a stretch where their shows were stellar.  For those unfamiliar with the Dead, may I suggest listening to their '69 release Live Dead.  I find that this is a great driving album (I always end up doing about 90 MPH by the time The Eleven starts.  Also this is a web site that offers free streams of past dead shows

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

The best quality are the soundboard shows.

I kind of wandered away from the Dead after they brought in Brent Mydland. I did not care for his voice at all (at the same time Jerry was losing his). During the '80s and '90s I found that their shows were hit or miss (with the misses happening a lot more than the hits).

As for the Brothers, what can be said.  Listen to Eat A Peach and tell me that you don't want to be outside on a hot sunny summers day, I'll call you a liar.  Great music that makes you feel the Georgia heat no matter where you are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Jkj took me to one of those 100 concerts (4th of July at Foxboro Stadium, hot as hell).  I don't know why, but he always attracts strangeness.  The woman in front of us took off her dress, turned to jkj, asked him to hold it, then proceeded to do the "Dead" dance one foot in front of him in her bra and panties (all while being sprayed by a hose).
    First and last Dead concert I ever went to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials:
    [QUOTE]Ok I will confess that I am a huge Deadhead.  I saw them over 100 times.  Their best work has never been their studio releases, it's their live shows.  For those unfamiliar with the Dead, may I suggest listening to their '69 release Live Dead.   I find that this is a great driving album (I always end up doing about 90 MPH by the time The Eleven starts.  Also this is a web site that offers free streams of past dead shows http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead The best quality are the soundboard shows. As for the Brothers, what can be said.  Listen to Eat A Peach and tell me that you don't want to be outside on a hot sunny summers day, I'll call you a liar.  Great music that makes you feel the Georgia heat no matter where you are.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]You are so awesome.  I practically made this thread to lure you back in here (I knew you were busy, but figured you'd be back when you had time) so thanks for weighing in, you son of a gun.  I'm going to check out your suggestions.   Thanks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In Response to Re: The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials:
    [QUOTE]Jkj took me to one of those 100 concerts (4th of July at Foxboro Stadium, hot as hell).  I don't know why, but he always attracts strangeness.  The woman in front of us took off her dress, turned to jkj, asked him to hold it, then proceeded to do the "Dead" dance one foot in front of him in her bra and panties (all while being sprayed by a hose). First and last Dead concert I ever went to.
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

I was at that show.  Los Lobos opened for them.  The Dead and Los Lobos did an acappella rendition of "This Land is Your Land"  filmed for Nightline.  Missed the girl who was dancing in wet bra and panties.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

cherry garcia is a decent ice cream flavor... :)

i've always wanted to get into them more, but i find myself sticking to the "essentials" when i listen to them.  unless i'm at my brother's house, that is.  constant dead flowing in the background.

i just don't have the patience, i think.  i'd much rather jam than listen to jamming.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Los Lobos with the Dead?  Sounds like the ultimate party concert. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials : I was at that show.  Los Lobos opened for them.  The Dead and Los Lobos did an acappella rendition of "This Land is Your Land"  filmed for Nightline.  Missed the girl who was dancing in wet bra and panties.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, that was my FIRST Dead show (1987)...!!  Small world, indeed!!

I remember people were conspicuously having sex in the woods and generally out of their gourds...

...certainly enlightening for an impressionable teen such as myself.  After that, I never looked back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Grateful Dead / The Allman Brothers Band: The Essentials : If I'm not mistaken, that was my FIRST Dead show (1987)...!!  Small world, indeed!! I remember people were conspicuously having sex in the woods and generally out of their gourds... ...certainly enlightening for an impressionable teen such as myself.  After that, I never looked back.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Wow, it is a small world.  The sad thing was jkj and I worked all the way up until we were standing in the front row.  But it was so hot, I passed out.  He was kinda upset that we had to go back to the side bleachers away from the band.  Fortunately (?) the half-naked dancing girl perked him right up!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Here’s a story which might reveal more about my identity then I care for but what the heck.  My first show was in 1984, I think in April.  At the time, I was playing in a band called “Smokestack Lightnin’”.  Well, as we were hanging out side drinking beers a person came around selling shirts he had made.  He had this shirt with a drawing of smokestack lightnin’.  Basically a drawing of a smokestack being hit by lightning.  There were also a bunch of other drawings on it including a pretty trippy design on the front.  So I figure, I need to buy this seeing the name of the band thing and I did.  Later that evening during the show, the Dead play “Smokestack lightnin’” for the first time in something like 18 years. 

I’ve listened back on it from bootlegs, it was a short sloppy version but it was all pretty cool none the less.  I really do miss going to the occasional summer show.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Since we're tellin' stories......

In college, I took a course with the Former US Ambassador to Egypt (Hermann Eilts).  Very interesting man with a ton of stories.  We got to talking about the Grateful Dead one day.  He tells me he helped negotiate the Dead being able to play at the pyramids in Egypt.  He said that they had to make a donation to one of Madame Sadat's charities.

It's the day of the first show.  Suddenly, the man in charge of the electricity decides that someone forgot to fill out the right paper work and therefore, he can't turn on the power.  Eilts to the rescue.  The power guy basically wanted a bribe.  Eilts negotiates with the guy and finally gets him to relent and lets the show go on.